Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:41 PM

108 posts, read 386,186 times

Advertisements

So I had to take the bart from Fruitvale to SFO. Almost 10 bucks one way...?!?
Why should I take the bart when I can drive my own car for 2-3 bucks?
I have used the Sub system in NYC and the EL system in Chicago and it doesn't cost nearly as much, not to mention it's a flat rate; not your destination.

I also heard they have a surplus...i wonder why?

So I say thanks but no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 PM

99 posts, read 193,787 times
I agree. The presence of it is great but they are definitely too proud on how they price their service. BART is no longer an incentive unless your going somewhere in between Embarcadero and Civic Center.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:05 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
It's really a weird hybrid of a traditional subway with a commuter rail service that goes out to the suburbs. It's very convenient and it's pretty fast but it's definitely more expensive than it really needs to be.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:05 AM

332 posts, read 772,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
So I had to take the bart from Fruitvale to SFO. Almost 10 bucks one way...?!?
Why should I take the bart when I can drive my own car for 2-3 bucks?
I have used the Sub system in NYC and the EL system in Chicago and it doesn't cost nearly as much, not to mention it's a flat rate; not your destination.
I agree that BART has many shortcomings. However some of your points are questionable: First, how do you drive from Fruitvale to SFO for 2-3 bucks when the bridge toll alone would cost more than that?

Second, there's a four-dollar surcharge for using the SFO stop, so trips there are always expensive.

Third, getting to the airports in NYC via public transit is not that cheap either. The JFK AirTrain is $5 (and if you want to get there quickly you also have to pay extra to use the LIRR instead of the subway). Newark's AirTrain is also $5, plus you have the NJTransit fare on top. True, it's cheap to get to LaGuardia, but not very convenient... You are correct, however, that getting to the airports on Chicago's El is easy and cheap (though it can take a while).

I do agree that BART has some problems: I think that overall it is overpriced, and that the intracity density of stops is poor. One thing I think they have gotten right, however, is destination-based pricing. People making short trips shouldn't be subsidizing those who make lengthy ones. As for the surcharge on SFO visitors, if you can afford to fly, you can afford the surcharge. Still cheaper than airport parking.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:06 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
No its not... I get a roundtrip ticket from Fruitvale to Millbrae (further south than SFO) all the time for less than 9 dollars. One way would be around 5 bucks.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, I made the mistake of going to SFO to use their BART because I was close to it... wow at the clueless suckers who think that paying 6 bucks to get to the next stop (San Bruno) is the going rate. I ended up having to get off at San Bruno, leaving the station and re-entering (and paying again to go up to Fruitvale) to save another 7 bucks that would've been spent going directly from SFO to Fruitvale. The airport BART price is rediculous

Old 08-30-2010, 02:27 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user376 View Post
I agree that BART has many shortcomings. However some of your points are questionable: First, how do you drive from Fruitvale to SFO for 2-3 bucks when the bridge toll alone would cost more than that?

Second, there's a four-dollar surcharge for using the SFO stop, so trips there are always expensive.

Third, getting to the airports in NYC via public transit is not that cheap either. The JFK AirTrain is $5 (and if you want to get there quickly you also have to pay extra to use the LIRR instead of the subway). Newark's AirTrain is also $5, plus you have the NJTransit fare on top. True, it's cheap to get to LaGuardia, but not very convenient... You are correct, however, that getting to the airports on Chicago's El is easy and cheap (though it can take a while).

I do agree that BART has some problems: I think that overall it is overpriced, and that the intracity density of stops is poor. One thing I think they have gotten right, however, is destination-based pricing. People making short trips shouldn't be subsidizing those who make lengthy ones. As for the surcharge on SFO visitors, if you can afford to fly, you can afford the surcharge. Still cheaper than airport parking.
IDK why the surcharge the airport stations. The NJT Station is in a low fare zone , example form Westwood to Newark Penn , Elizabeth , Linden , Rahway its 8.75$. But the Airport 14.25$ , i looked at various airports around the country and Canada and they do the same thing. Charge extra for the airport....... I don't get it , is it used to take care of the stations LOL?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:31 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,476 times
My main problem with BART is that it's an extremely wasteful use of expensive heavy rail. There's no reason why a full-fledged subway line needs to go all the way out to Pittsburg, Dublin, or Fremont. For example, on the Pittsburg/Bay Point line, once you get beyond say Walnut Creek, the stations become nothing more than a series of park and rides. Service to these areas should have been accomplished using Commuter Rail (Caltrain). Instead of building extensions to Livermore, BART should concentrate on expanding service in the inner urban core, ie where potential ridership is the highest.

To further illustrate my point consider this: BART has 104 miles in total track with 43 stations; by comparison the DC Metro has 106 miles of track with 86 stations. You tell me which system is the more useful and efficient use of essentially an equal amount of track.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:22 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
Service to these areas should have been accomplished using Commuter Rail (Caltrain). Instead of building extensions to Livermore, BART should concentrate on expanding service in the inner urban core, ie where potential ridership is the highest.

It IS commuter rail. And it's a lot more frequent and convenient compared to Caltrain.

To further illustrate my point consider this: BART has 104 miles in total track with 43 stations; by comparison the DC Metro has 106 miles of track with 86 stations. You tell me which system is the more useful and efficient use of essentially an equal amount of track.

More stations = more stops = longer commutes.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,252,556 times
The extra charge was approved by S.F residents to subsidize the extension. Old news.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:11 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,116 times
This is a very interesting argument. The pay for distance system is probably one of the few systems in this country that charges this way. I thought it made sense while living out there. For example, the NYC subways, you pay the same $2.50 whether you go 1 stop or 50 (multiple transfers). Whereas it's quite inexpensive to go one stop on BART. Also, there are several systems in NYC that vary in price range. The Long Island Railroad for instance, costs me $205 a month. That's an average of about $5.13 a trip, when you add the times I use it for work, or even less if I use it for personal use (going to Manhattan on weekends, etc). It sounds like a good deal until you start having to use the subway as well.

Either way, I think SF's public transit is a good, efficient, affordable way to travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland