Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:31 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,782,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
I disagree with gotigers but to each their own.

To the OP:
And Oakland & "safe" can't be used in the same sentence.

i find where i live in oakland to be safe.the same neighborhood as this home listed for sale

683 MANDANA BLVD, OAKLAND, CA 94610 $1,750,000

of course that's just my opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 09:28 AM

291 posts, read 957,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
i find where i live in oakland to be safe.the same neighborhood as this home listed for sale

683 MANDANA BLVD, OAKLAND, CA 94610 $1,750,000

of course that's just my opinion
So how safe it is to go in and out of the this very expensive and probably gated community of yours?

I am sorry but I had to laugh. If I had 1.7 M I would be living in a beach front property somewhere and not in "Oakland". I guess I just have a different idea of what to do with all that money...

Glad things are working out for you though

Old 09-28-2010, 11:55 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,782,141 times
it's a matter of choice. most of the violent crime in oakland is localized to east and west oakland.
there are parts of oakland with great views and beautiful homes.
these are only a few of the $1+ million homes listed in different parts of oakland
1,036,000 1691 MOUNTAIN BLVD photo + photo tour
$1,095,000 5210 PROCTOR AVE photo + photo tour
$1,115,000 7217 SKYLINE BLVD photo + photo tour
$1,250,000 16 SHERIDAN ROAD photo + virtual tour + photo tour
$1,285,000 852 MOUNTAIN BLVD photo + virtual tour + photo tour
$1,295,000 1901 WRENN ST photo + photo tour
$1,795,000 260 PERSHING DR photo + photo tour
$1,798,000 16030 BROADWAY TERRACE photo + photo tour
$1,850,000 9047 BROADWAY TER photo + photo tour
$1,975,000 13085 SKYLINE BLVD photo + virtual tour + photo tour
$2,950,000 5 WOODSIDE WAY photo + virtual tour + photo tour
$3,395,000 5950 MARGARIDO DR photo + virtual tour + photo tour

a lot of well educated affluent people like to live in oakland.

i don't think 1.7 M will get you beach front in the inner bay area

Old 09-28-2010, 05:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,845,611 times
Quote:
So how safe it is to go in and out of the this very expensive and probably gated community of yours?

I am sorry but I had to laugh. If I had 1.7 M I would be living in a beach front property somewhere and not in "Oakland". I guess I just have a different idea of what to do with all that money...

@orangesunset: There are lots of safe neighborhoods in Oakland, you are mistaken. I am sure way up in the hills there are some gated estates, but it isn't necessary to have a gate to enjoy safety in Oakland.

I live in a neighborhood with condos (Studios - 3 bed) from about $175k-$500k (current prices). Single family homes are $650k+.
It is safe to walk around at night, in fact I often walk home from a "sketchy" BART station at night, alone. I feel The BART station is actually a line of sorts, west of BART is increasingly sketchy until you get to Emeryville. East of BART = safe.

I also live right next to an upper class city -- Piedmont. I live just above the "foot of the hill." The neighborhoods surrounding Piedmont are pretty similar socioeconomically, but my side has lots of condos (from the converted 60s, 70s buildings that went condo 30 years ago)

And as ssmaster mentioned, there are plenty of posh neighborhoods in Oakland too: with million dollars views of the bay, the hills, or the redwoods.

Since you only hear about the crime in Oakland, I know it is hard to fathom that well-off people live there, but it isn't true. Oakland is central to everywhere and has a ton of great neighborhoods. No need to mention them again, but people make the same list all the time.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:52 PM

527 posts, read 1,576,323 times
Quote:

Out of curiosity, have you been to Oakland before? If so, which neighborhoods did you visit?

Old 09-28-2010, 10:52 PM

291 posts, read 957,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
Out of curiosity, have you been to Oakland before? If so, which neighborhoods did you visit?

Hmm, Ikea (not sure if it is considered Oakland but yikes! And yes I did lock the car doors), Oakland museum area, Oakland Hills, Lake Merritt, Piedmont, downtown (village something) Jack London square, Oakland zoo area...Oakland is not for me. I even decided against Alameda (please don't throw stones!). Honestly, the only other area I've considered was Santa Cruz county but I digress. The OP actually wants an *urban* area within commuting distance to Livermore.

Is this map reliable at all? There are dots everywhere! Any of the areas without dots urban/affordable?
Oakland Crimespotting

Old 09-29-2010, 12:29 AM

527 posts, read 1,576,323 times
Quote:
Hmm, Ikea (not sure if it is considered Oakland but yikes! And yes I did lock the car doors), Oakland museum area, Oakland Hills, Lake Merritt, Piedmont, downtown (village something) Jack London square, Oakland zoo area...Oakland is not for me. I even decided against Alameda (please don't throw stones!). Honestly, the only other area I've considered was Santa Cruz county but I digress. The OP actually wants an *urban* area within commuting distance to Livermore.

Is this map reliable at all? There are dots everywhere! Any of the areas without dots urban/affordable?
Oakland Crimespotting
Ikea's in Emeryville, but the parking lot is in Oakland (it's right on the corner). Oakland is urban, it's a city, and it has city problems. The areas you mentioned are (mostly) nice areas, and offer some affordable urbanity for people without kids. If you were nervous about Ikea's neighborhood though, your paradigm is probably a little different than mine. Oakland could be a good choice for the OP as it's in the middle, but probably not if they also get nervous at Ikea, if you know what I mean.

The dots are correct, but most people are okay with the same amount of crime Lake Merritt, for example, offers if they've lived somewhere with comparable crime in San Francisco.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,845,611 times
@Orangesunset Cities have crime -- you need to lock your door. It sounds to me like cities aren't for you at all. Maybe try Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland