U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 PM

4 posts, read 3,755 times
Default Moving to San Francisco-Need some serious help on housing..

Hi everyone,

Im about to move to San Francisco with my dog...The place where Im going to work is in the downtown Union Square area. I want something close to my company and pet friendly. My budget is around 1000. My only concern is safety since I'm a single woman. Could you please give me some suggestions of safe areas and areas to avoid? Thank you!!!

Btw, do the majority of people who work in the downtown area take the public transportation? Im from a state where we drive to everywhere so maybe I need to get used to public transportation as well..LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 11:12 PM

471 posts, read 699,886 times
You have a small budget, and the much of the area around your work zone is ghetto. Good luck.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:01 AM

801 posts, read 1,337,631 times
Some data points:
* Few landlords in SF allow pets and almost everyone that does will require some sort of additional deposit and/or additional rent.
* Assuming that you are not looking for a roommate situation, it will be difficult to find a 1BR place in most areas of SF for $1000, even without a pet. In fact, it's hard to find a studio that cheap, and you probably won't find any landlord that will allow a dog in a studio.
* As mentioned above, the much of the area immediately around Union Square is either not very nice (e.g. Tenderloin) or way out of your price range (e.g. newer condos/apts in the SOMA area).

Unfortunately, I don't think that you'll find any apartments that will satisfy your criteria for a dog-friendly place in a safe area close to your workplace for your budget.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:04 AM

24,777 posts, read 27,796,608 times
Unfortunately, I have to agree with the above. I have a medium-sized dog, and it was REALLY hard to find a place here... I originally wanted my own place, and ended up having to rent a 3-bedroom house (for around $2100/mo) and get roommates. I've since downgraded to a 2-bedroom townhouse, in a dog-friendly and safe complex - I can give you the info if you'd like, but even the 1-bedrooms here rent for approx $1200-1300. So basically you'll either need to increase your budget, consider having a roommate (or two), or look outside of the city. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2010, 12:08 AM

24,777 posts, read 27,796,608 times
P.S. In terms of public transportation, many people who live downtown do not own cars... it's very expensive to park them, if you can even find a lot, and BART/Muni will get you wherever you need to go. I personally have a car, since I live at the edge of the city (near Daly City) - plus I drive to the Peninsula 2-3x a week. I couldn't imagine living without a car, but many people here do! Keep in mind that BART doesn't allow dogs, and Muni will require a muzzle to even consider letting them on. How big is your pooch?

Old 09-18-2010, 12:47 AM

5,245 posts, read 6,569,288 times
Yeah it is really hard to find an apartment that allows pets here, which is stupid because an apartment could be a complete wreck and there would still be a stampede of people clamoring to rent it. I kind of wish the city or state government would do something to make landlords not be such jerks about it. So yeah you are going to find very very few landlords that allow pets. You might find some places, like my last apartment, that allow you to have a cat or small dog if you pay a fee of $200.

Your budget is pretty low and all you'll get is a studio at best within San Francisco. Most studios in SF are around $1000-1200. There are some that are less than $1000 but they are few and far between and will have massive crowds of people trying to rent them. If you rent a room with roommates it would be more like $650-800 a month.

If you look outside of SF you'll find apartments are cheaper (though riding BART is expensive). You will find nice studio apartments in nice areas like Berkeley and Rockridge in Oakland for around $850-1000 a month. I have a studio in Rockridge for $850 a month. It's nicer than the $830 a month place I had in San Francisco which was next to a very noisy nightclub that was driving me nuts. I don't have a car but Rockridge is very walkable and even more bikeable, and it takes me 35 minutes to get to work in downtown SF. My landlord doesn't allow pets but I would hope that landlords in the East Bay aren't as picky as landlords in SF.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Unfortunately, I have to agree with the above. I have a medium-sized dog, and it was REALLY hard to find a place here... I originally wanted my own place, and ended up having to rent a 3-bedroom house (for around $2100/mo) and get roommates. I've since downgraded to a 2-bedroom townhouse, in a dog-friendly and safe complex - I can give you the info if you'd like, but even the 1-bedrooms here rent for approx $1200-1300. So basically you'll either need to increase your budget, consider having a roommate (or two), or look outside of the city. Good luck!
sigh....my dog is a goldendoodle around 45 pounds. I guess I will have to increase my budget...I don't want to live too far from the city but 20 minute commute on public transports is acceptable. Do you mind telling me in which area are the 1 bedrooms for 1200-1300?

Old 09-18-2010, 07:08 AM

Thank you for the replies. I wonder if I can find some free agents to help me get a place...If I raise my budget to 1200, can I find at lease a nice studio? I don't have to live too close to my company. I think I can do 20-30 minute commnute one way. I really want a place that is safe and dog friendly. My dog is a 45 pound goldendoodle. Could you please tell me which areas are good and which areas are bad or where I should go to find such info? Thank you! Btw, where should I go to look for housing info? I am using craigslist but most apts listed there are from tenderloin, which I think one of you told me to avoid. I am not in SF yet and decide to drive (1700 miles) down there early Oct.

Also, I checked again and I found that my company is actually not in Union Square, but near Embarcadero and Broadway. Any suggestions?

Last edited by GoingtoSF; 09-18-2010 at 07:20 AM..

Old 09-18-2010, 09:52 AM

471 posts, read 699,886 times
Unfortunately cheap housing and safe areas (at night) don't match up well. Most of SF isn't dangerous after dark (one of the few exceptions being the Tenderloin area around Union Square), and a small canister of pepper spray is a cheap, effective equalizer. The dog is going to make things really tough on you - if you want cheap housing you'll be competing with non-dog owners.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:50 AM

17,092 posts, read 11,284,455 times
Embarcadero and Broadway is a bit of a hike, from pretty much all points in the city, that are in that budget. If you take BART it is about a 10 minute walk from BART or so. If you are willing to up your transit commute to 30 minutes or so, you can add a whole ton of Oakland neighborhoods. I live near Piedmont Ave (neighbors Rockridge and Piedmont). 1 bedrooms are about $1000 and lots of people accept pets. Commute time for me to SF was about 40 minutes, but I had a 20 min walk up to North Beach. Your walk would be a bit shorter. The MUNI that goes over to Embarcadero/Broadway (the F) is notoriously crowded, but that is less than 1 mi from Embarcadero BART. I took the transbay bus over the bridge, which averaged 17 min over the bridge to downtown/soma in SF. So it is really fast, and many neighborhoods in Oakland have both BART, casual carpool and transbay options. You'd need to move out to the Richmond, Sunset or possibly Haight to meet your target price. And the Haight is the only neighborhood that would meet your 20 min transit ride, possibly. But that area is hit or miss. I'd say go east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland