U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:25 PM

17,324 posts, read 12,259,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Well there aren't really many poor white people in urban areas in the US. There are a lot of white junkies but they (hopefully) don't have kids. The main places you see poverty among whites is in more rural areas, especially in the Deep South in places like Kentucky and West Virginia.

Class definitely does matter more than race in terms of behavior and education but I really wonder why urban schools, where most kids are minorities, are given such a short shrift.
Rural schools have many of the same problems as urban ones with an achievement gap. You just don't hear about it at all. There are less "gang-related" distractions for sure, but the rest is pretty similar.

California schools are under resourced to educate kids for the future, so the difference between high achieving kids and not is what happens at home when the kid is not in school. Enrichment needs to happen at home. For some kids, school is the only place they can concentrate and take a break from everyday reality. Until we solve the everyday reality problem, it is going to be hard for schools to do enough.

Today much of what is taught at school isn't very practical, and today's kids need to see how school relates to their everyday life. Experiments have been pretty successful. Also extending the school day with a supervised study hall has made a difference; unfortunately this is expensive with today's budget reality.

I think schools fail when they lose sight of the big picture goals. I am afraid our state has headed down this path over the past 20 years and it is only getting worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 11:57 PM

1,550 posts, read 1,913,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
we give minorities a terrible education and create a permament underclass, but their parents have zero interest in making their kids study which doesn't help.
By any standard, Asian and Indian kids perform extremely well in schools all over the US including CA. So maybe you can cut down on your racist rant about how minorities are not interested in education! As much as it boosts your ego to think everyone non-white is the underclass, I am sure you know that this is not exactly the case in the bay area.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:10 AM

5,245 posts, read 6,887,334 times
Read what I wrote again. I said we give minorities a terrible education.

Indian and Asian parents tend to not be living in poverty and can make sure their kids go to the best schools and even more importantly take a lot of interest in their kids' education and make sure they study. A lot of poor parents (doesn't matter what race) don't do that or don't have the time or can't afford to move to a town with better schools.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:13 AM

15,952 posts, read 12,596,554 times
When I lived in San Francisco I rented a flat 1800 sq ft 2 Brdms 2 Ba for $2350 a month. My car languished in the garage waisting the money it cost every month while I rode the bus to work.
I certainly wouldn't rush to buy there or buy a new car. I could have gotten by on $100,000

Old 10-04-2010, 12:03 PM

31 posts, read 58,072 times
Since you bring up the kids, know that private schools can be extremely expensive - $2K per month per child and that's just for kindergarten - more expensive as kids get older. Public schools are of course free but the system requires you to enter a lottery and chances are you will end up being placed out of your neighborhood. Of course there is a French private school, Notre Dame des Victoires which is excellent.

For a home large enough for your family in SF you are looking to spend probably $3000 per month. Add school, activities, car maintenance, travel, food, entertainment, clothes, other expenses which are comparable to what you spend now in Toronto. My guess is on your single income this would be possible but you may find yourselves economizing in some ways - buying standard instead of organic produce, taking car trips instead of flying, taking advantage of free or discount days at museums. Also you may not be saving a lot each month for retirement, emergencies, etc. But if it's temporary it won't matter too much. You can have a decent standard of life on $135K, just a matter of priorities.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:18 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,506,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikisma View Post
buying standard instead of organic produce
That's hardly going to make much difference. Sometimes I wonder if folks on here have any concept of budgeting $135K a year versus a college allowance.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:29 AM

Actually it can make a huge difference.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Actually it can make a huge difference.
Based on that incredibly insightful observation I guess I was wrong.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:10 AM

Not particularly insightful, just a simple empirical observation. But you were still wrong.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Not particularly insightful, just a simple empirical observation. But you were still wrong.
Empirical implies evidence. Please provide. I'll give you mine. Say I spend $30 a week on non-organic produce. Even if I were to pay double, that would be about $125 a month additional. With an $11,000 a month income that's not a huge difference. Nowadays food is not a very large percentage of an upper middle class family's budget.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 10-10-2010 at 08:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland