U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 05:02 PM

7,474 posts, read 6,409,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringSanFran View Post
San Francisco would be the best fit since it is the biggest city,
Might be the best fit, but certainly not the biggest city in the Bay Area...there's a place to the south that claims that title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 05:51 PM

6,297 posts, read 4,864,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Might be the best fit, but certainly not the biggest city in the Bay Area...there's a place to the south that claims that title.
I think it shocks a lot of people San Jose has a larger population than San Francisco. SF feels like it's the biggest city in the Bay Area though lol.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:52 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,599,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringSanFran View Post
Cool, thanks for the tips, sounds like its mostly better than what I was expecting. I am a little stunned at the 250-400 parking pass thing though. I could BUY a car for that kind of monthly payment. Is going carless in San Francisco viable? How is the bus system? I can afford the parking, but I am not exactly thrilled about the prospect of throwing away that much cash every month.

Are there any other areas in the bay that might be worth considering for someone like me? (Ie san jose, mountain view, oakland, etc). I have kind of been assuming that San Francisco would be the best fit since it is the biggest city, but I don't really know that much about the rest of the bay area.

Thanks again for all the advice!
You can easily go carless in SF and you'll save a ton of money but you won't be able to get out of SF easily. You can take BART some places but by and large the Bay Area outside of SF is very suburban and centered around cars. In SF Muni is alright but pokey whether you take the buses or light rail. BART is a lot better but there's only one BART line running through the city.

If you don't want to pay the $200-300 a month for a parking space you can always park on the street, plenty of people do it (otherwise it wouldn't take so long to find a space). It's free though in a lot of areas you need a permit, also it's often hard to find spaces and there is always the threat of break-ins.

Outside of SF, I would not look at Oakland and the East Bay if you are commuting to Silicon Valley, the commute would be pretty long. Oakland and Berkeley are neat and it's much easier to find parking though.

A lot of the little suburbs up and down the Peninsula between Silicon Valley and SF have downtown areas that are walkable with shops and restaurants and so on. Not as walkable and dense and urban as SF but your commute would be a lot better.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 856 times
Default May be moving to San francisco for work -looking for an upscale SUNNY neighborhood

I am getting worried about the weather as I read through these postings. We are going to be moving from Manhattan high rise upper east side- would like a similar neighborhood and high rise if possible but warm and sunny and safe. Any suggestions? Also easy mass transit to UCSF med campus would be a real plus.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:57 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,598,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
They're liberal but not really in your face about it.
Yes they are

Old 10-09-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastsidermom View Post
I am getting worried about the weather as I read through these postings. We are going to be moving from Manhattan high rise upper east side- would like a similar neighborhood and high rise if possible but warm and sunny and safe. Any suggestions? Also easy mass transit to UCSF med campus would be a real plus.
There aren't very many high rise buildings in SF. There are some new ones with luxury apartments that are mainly around the eastern end of SOMA. There are a lot of restaurants and shops and there's a Safeway in the area but it is a very new area so it doesn't have a lot of character yet. Weather is sunnier there but anywhere in SF is pretty windy and chilly during the summer, but at least you won't have to deal with the NYC winters. From SOMA you can take the N-Judah to UCSF's main medical campus, also UCSF has a campus at Mission Bay just south of SOMA I think.

If you want really warmer weather then look at the Peninsula or East Bay, though it's more houses with some apartment buildings. Somewhere like Walnut Creek it's 80's to 90's in the summer with a lot of 100F days. Oakland and Berkeley are more like in the low 70's in summer when it's 60 in SF. The Peninsula is more in the upper 70's and 80's, it's not as hot as around Walnut Creek.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:09 PM

6 posts, read 10,237 times
Is it possible to work in SF and then commute to a more rural situation?
Possibly more of a farming community?

Old 10-10-2010, 12:42 AM

801 posts, read 1,343,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastsidermom View Post
To which UCSF campus are you referring? The main ones are Mission Bay, Parnassus Heights, Mount Zion, and Laurel Heights.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmanatbac View Post
Is it possible to work in SF and then commute to a more rural situation?
Possibly more of a farming community?
Why would you want to do that?

I dunno, there are farming areas in Marin, Napa, Sonoma, Santa Cruz, etc etc. It would take a while to get to some of those places, at least an hour by car.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:45 AM

6 posts, read 10,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Why would you want to do that?

I dunno, there are farming areas in Marin, Napa, Sonoma, Santa Cruz, etc etc. It would take a while to get to some of those places, at least an hour by car.
There is a great job posted in SF, but we have a lifestyle that is not conducive to city-living. Essentially, we like rural living as much as you probably like city-living.

How far out could you get with the mass transit before jumping in your car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland