Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:42 PM

7 posts, read 11,764 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody! I make about $1,720 a month on unemployment from NY, as I collect the max. I have extensions as well. I have been doing research for quite some time about San Fran. It has been a long overdue desire to relocate there. Everyone is screaming don't go! The economy and cost of living is brutal! I figured if I rented a room, sold my honda truck (great condition), then I can give CA a chance to find a job in my field. I really want to go for it! Maybe find a place in Alameda....need some helpful advice I saved about $3,000 so far. I figured out the cost to travel from the east coast. I think I could do it. Not sure if I have to have my winter clothes shipped over or not! HELP

Last edited by flamencogyp43; 10-13-2010 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 09:22 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,377 times
well, you can get by without a car in sf for sure if you live in the right neighborhoods. with the costs savings there you might not even have to live in alameda... why not just live in sf proper? it is quite different living in the city than in other neighboring ones and you will probably still need a car if you live in alameda (not to mention each time you drive from alameda into the city you have to pay a bridge toll of i think $5 to $7)

food can be expensive, eat at home as much as you can while job hunting and grocery shop at asian and mexican supermarkets- they sell produce on the cheap, go to big lots for supplies like toilet paper and shampoo, and 99 cent stores

consider traveling by bicycle if you have one, there are brutal hills here in many areas but sf is only 7 miles by 7 miles so you can get across town on a bike (make sure you lock it up properly and good- using at least 2 u locks) sf has lots of bike lanes now and a large and thriving bike culture

zip car is a consideration when you do need to rent a car by the hour and do not own one

buy clothes at resale shops such as buffalo exchange, that is also a place you can sell your clothes if you have nice brand name ones in the latest fashion

for recreation, attend many of the free festivals and events the city has like the stern grove festival- you can find out about these online

bring some winter clothes but don't expect it to be scarf and ear muff weather all the time- i've found long sleeve cotton shirts, jeans, sneakers, and a bomber jacket work quite nicely for chilly days, don't forget an umbrella that can resist wind

rent will be the killer, but you sound willing to rough it a little- i think rents in the mission district might be more reasonable take a look around. craigslist is a popular resource here

when you fly into sf international airport, you can ride the bart (subway) into sf city or take a taxi - forgot how much that costs

you should be allowed to bring 2 check ins and 2 carry ons onto the plane- they might charge for the 2nd check in- when i moved across the country, i sold/gave away a lot of my possessions and fit the rest into 2 cardboard boxes, they were about 2 feet by 2 feet in addition to my 2 carry ones. check size and weight restrictions- mine had to be less than 50 pounds each. this was how i avoided expensive cross country shipping costs.

if you need to make some extra cash to keep you floating between jobs check out taskrabbit.com- you can sell your time by running errands for people like picking up groceries for a fee

and don't forget about free wifi at local public libraries

good luck!

Last edited by mini_cute; 10-13-2010 at 09:44 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,629 times
Definately need a car if your gonna be in Alameda..If you want to live in the East Bay and not have a car, check out Berkeley..Very cool place.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:15 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
"and don't forget the free wifi at the public libraries"

Typical liberal: it's not FREE. The libraries and it's "free" wifi are paid for by tax dollars. NOTHING is free.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:59 AM

Thank you all! Mini_cute thanks for all the info! Yes I love the dollar stores too...and spanish supermarkets do help.

My only thing that worries me is finding a place to temporarily live. I really don't want to rent a room as you don't know these strangers that you will sharing your house with. I wish I can find a small effeciency apartment that someone will let you rent with unemployment.

I did find a hotel, I forgot the name of it, but I think it sounded scary to live in. I might have to bite the bullet and rent a room somewhere.

I have my tv, microwave, and coffee maker. What ever I have fits in my honda crv. I'm in a room in my father's house and got used to it.

A recruiter I'm working with told me about the Mission too! I thought it was a bad area? Anyway, I'll keep plugging away.....

Old 10-14-2010, 10:05 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
$3000 isn't going to last you very long here so you need to get a job right away, but good luck with that because the economy sucks here.

For a temporary place to live, look into temporary sublets on craiglist, often people will rent out a room for just a month or two because some friend of theirs isn't moving in for a couple months or whatever. Hotels here are very expensive. You could stay at a youth hostel which are cheap but they are either full of annoying young people or full of destitute people who are barely avoiding homelessness. I stayed at a place like that when I first moved to SF when I had no money, I thought it was a normal youth hostel because I was in a bunk bed room by myself then they moved me to a bunk bed room that was full of weird guys who clearly lived there full time, like they had TV's at their bed.

The Mission is a great area in the western part, and pretty crappy in the eastern part. Stay west of Mission Street and you'll avoid the grime and crime.

Oakland, Berkeley and Alameda are definitely cheaper than SF. Oakland would probably be the best bet since it's easier to get to SF for work than Alameda, and it's not overrun with students like Berkeley.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:26 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
Why would you move without finding a job? The economy isn't good enough here for you to just move and expect to find employment. Honestly, this decision doesn't make sense.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:04 AM

258 posts, read 230,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Why would you move without finding a job? The economy isn't good enough here for you to just move and expect to find employment. Honestly, this decision doesn't make sense.
Why wouldn't you? It all depends on the local job market. From what I gather most companies tend to hire locals over out of state people most of the time so it makes sense to become local as it gives one more chances to find a job.

I'm in a similar boat as OP, except I'm in Boston. MA generally pays out a lot more money for unemployment so it eases the transition a bit. Another small difference is that I LOVE cars (hell, I have 2 myself) so I would only move there with a car and drive it. That was one of the biggest perks of CA for me because MA tries to restrict car usage as much as they can while CA doesn't.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:18 AM

Yes I'm aware of that. But I won't be considered if I'm too far away. I feel that it's the only way I can make it happen if I move there. But I do agree I rather have a job first. No one is going to look at me so far away when there are too many people out of work locally. Thanks

Old 10-14-2010, 11:24 AM

Thank you Syncromesh! As I stated to Mr. Fantastic, I am constantly losing opportunities even near me, if they feel I have too much of a commute. Most companies think you want them to pay for the relocation expense. I have cover letters attached to my resume submissions stating that I can PERSONALLY relocate myself, however, no interest yet. When I stayed in Fl for a while, I got rejections if I was a few hours away. I have family near the job and have been to the area the job was at. It was very easy to find a place near the job, but I still got rejected because I wasn't local!!! It's a big risk on both sides and it's never a guarantee if you do get an interview that someone will hire you. It's rough all over the US no matter whre you move to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland