U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2010, 11:00 PM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
6,700 posts, read 16,225,483 times
Reputation: 2457
Nancy Pelosi is from Marin County, and she's an old-style Marin Liberal, from back when Jerry Garcia was living it up in San Rafael. As a gay man, I'll never desert her, just as she has never once deserted me.

 
Old 10-18-2010, 11:05 PM
 
Location: The High Seas
5,580 posts, read 6,807,702 times
Reputation: 6243
Wikipedia knows all....

Quote:
Pelosi is Italian-American and was born Nancy Patricia D'Alesandro in Baltimore, Maryland, the youngest of six children of Anunciata M. ("Nancy") and Thomas D'Alesandro, Jr., who was a Democratic party U.S. Congressman from Maryland and a Mayor of Baltimore.[3] Pelosi's brother, Thomas D'Alesandro III, also a Democrat, was mayor of Baltimore from 1967 to 1971, when he declined to run for a second term.
 
Old 10-18-2010, 11:09 PM
 
Location: West Coast Wanderer
12,132 posts, read 10,083,830 times
Reputation: 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Its not, because anytime you enter their area , San Fran, and talk about their beloved heroes, it wont be as most don't want to agree to disagree. You can talk truth till you are blue in the face, no pun intended, and some people just dont get it.
Politics, its what it is.
I don't know what you mean.
 
Old 10-19-2010, 01:43 AM
 
Location: Not where you ever lived
10,740 posts, read 14,233,232 times
Reputation: 5288
There is really no point to this thread, but as long as it doesn't get any nastier, the two computer comandoes can go to it. There is no reason to launch a personal attack. It makes no diff if Steve is in Santa Ana or on the moon, any more than in makes any difference if California Sur is on a rock in the ocean or Palm Springs. California is blue. There is a Black American in the White House, a Lady Speaker of the US House of Representatives, and no amount of cursing the darkness or name calling will change history.
 
Old 10-19-2010, 05:04 AM
 
Location: Hills & Hollers of the Aux Arcs
18,714 posts, read 15,328,483 times
Reputation: 16528
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
There is really no point to this thread, but as long as it doesn't get any nastier, the two computer comandoes can go to it. There is no reason to launch a personal attack. It makes no diff if Steve is in Santa Ana or on the moon, any more than in makes any difference if California Sur is on a rock in the ocean or Palm Springs. California is blue. There is a Black American in the White House, a Lady Speaker of the US House of Representatives, and no amount of cursing the darkness or name calling will change history.
And how does that play in Peoria?

Are you even old enough to recognize that line?
 
Old 10-19-2010, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,413 posts, read 3,093,282 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And how does that play in Peoria?

Are you even old enough to recognize that line?
Curmudgeon, I am glad you stepped in. As a life-long Californian who is Republican and moved to Missouri you know what I am talking about. I know you didn't leave California because of politics and your kids live here but you did work for the state and it's governors. California is the largest state in the U.S. and as such deserves a place of influence. It is not an accident that Pelosi is the House Speaker since she has the votes in Congress to be the leader. The only time Pelosi has had close elections was because someone more liberal than her ran against her. I can't remember the name of the woman who was an anti-war activist [she lost her son in Iraq] who tried to kick Pelosi out of office. But a Republican has as much of a chance of getting elected in San Francisco as a socialist has in Topeka Kansas. It will never happen until the Republican party goes back to it's roots like when Reagan was governor.
 
Old 10-19-2010, 10:22 AM
 
Location: West Coast Wanderer
12,132 posts, read 10,083,830 times
Reputation: 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Curmudgeon, I am glad you stepped in. As a life-long Californian who is Republican and moved to Missouri you know what I am talking about. I know you didn't leave California because of politics and your kids live here but you did work for the state and it's governors. California is the largest state in the U.S. and as such deserves a place of influence. It is not an accident that Pelosi is the House Speaker since she has the votes in Congress to be the leader. The only time Pelosi has had close elections was because someone more liberal than her ran against her. I can't remember the name of the woman who was an anti-war activist [she lost her son in Iraq] who tried to kick Pelosi out of office. But a Republican has as much of a chance of getting elected in San Francisco as a socialist has in Topeka Kansas. It will never happen until the Republican party goes back to it's roots like when Reagan was governor.
But so many people don't see this fact. They can't see the forest for the trees. California has not, and will not ever support our current republican party. It's really something that non Californians need to concern themselves with...well...maybe not as the speaker of the house does have some influence ya know. However this should be a wake up call to those who hate the politicians we elect to wake up. When you **** off the most powerful state in the country, you're gonna have to deal with the consequences.

Read this quickly before something happens to my post again
 
Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
2,733 posts, read 1,719,308 times
Reputation: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Nancy Pelosi is from Marin County, and she's an old-style Marin Liberal, from back when Jerry Garcia was living it up in San Rafael. As a gay man, I'll never desert her, just as she has never once deserted me.
I think you might be referring to Senator Barbara Boxer, who is from Marin County.
 
Old 10-19-2010, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
24,847 posts, read 31,261,547 times
Reputation: 10525
Nancy Pelosi represents the views of her constituency-that's why they voted for her.

She represents the prevailing political idealogy of San Francisco, when people pose these sorts of questions it denotes a lack of understanding of the simple fact that in this vast country, we don't all think alike-that there is in fact a deep gulf of difference of opinions on a host of very important issues.

To be honest, Im dissapointed that Nancy Pelosi didnt do MORE to reflect the views of SF.

1. Nationalized Health Care---she really DROPPED the ball on that. We need to have that ASAP and she and Reid spent all their time codifying evil right wingers who are willing to let people die cause they cant afford health care so long as EVIL insurance companies get to charge an arm and a leg. That's totally immoral!

2. She should have CUT OFF ALL Funds for the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. That was totally in her pervue and Im sure most Americans would have liked that.

3. She should have called for the impeachment of George W Bush and Dick Cheney. They are a pair of killers and thieves who got off scott free.

That she didnt do these 3 things really irked me.

And now it seems Obama is also groveling to these ridiculous republicans when it comes to Afghanistan and Iraq AND HEALTH CARE.

And now in a few weeks the Democrats just might reap the horrible results of their blatant inaction.
 
Old 10-19-2010, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
12,364 posts, read 12,203,430 times
Reputation: 7609
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You are doing a great job of revealing just the kind of person you are. And you most certainly don't represent the state you claim to live in. It must hurt to be impotent.
Since when is a citizen and voter supposed to represent their state?

You always write as if you are the final word on what it means to be a resident of California. You act like you know what the heart and soul of California is. Pelosi represents just one of 435 districts in the US. That district is one of the most liberal in the USA. It hardly represents California. Plenty of Democrats I know despise Pelosi because of her severe partisan style and arrogance to people who don't believe the federal government is the answer to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:05 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top