Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:29 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,235 times

Advertisements

I am visiting San Francisco from LA and I have to say it is by far the most beautiful, easy going and friendly city I've been to in Cali. I kept hearing all this talk from Angelenos about how rude the people in San Fran are but the total opposite is true. San Franciscans are very open, approachable, and up for anything. So far I've met several people, gotten phone numbers, hung out with people that I just met.

That's what I've been missing since I moved to LA. Meeting people in LA is like pulling teeth. I'm a vet social guy and growing up in Texas I was used to going out with a friend not knowing where we would end up because Houston is kind of like SF where you just randomly meet people, make friends and see where it takes you. Since moving to LA though I keet thinking all of CA was rude, cliquish and off putting. In LA if you're not a part of someone's clique then they will think you're a weirdo for being so friendly. You can't just go out and meet ppl. You have to meet them at work, your apt complex or church or some social group. When you up out you literally stick with that group the entire night.

I've been missing that whole outgoing sociable atmosphere. Thank You San Franciscans for being that and more! You guys make me wanna drop LA like a bad habit and move to SF.

Is what I described normal for SF or did I just get lucky on a trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:43 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
I agree with you.

That's one of the reasons I chose San Francisco over Los Angeles when I decided to move to California.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:47 AM

23,525 posts, read 24,006,421 times
I agree with you also. I lived in Southern California for over 20 years (moved there from the Bay Area for college) and while, I enjoyed it a lot, found that many folks in Southern California will decide based on your external appearances, whether to make friends with you, or not.

As you said, LA is all based on cliques and many times, folks of different races, socioeconomic classes do not socialize together.

San Franciscans can come sometimes come across as elitist, but as a bunch, are definitely generally more friendly and approchable than most folks from LA.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:02 AM

4,510 posts, read 4,042,401 times
I don't find them to be rude but it does seem that they follow more rules more strictly then the average american. IE I've gotten yelled at a few times for stopping partially over the cross walk. Also they seem to drive 5 mph under the speed limit.

They're blunt not rude, just like any other heavily dense / urban area. Otherwise friendly, approachable and easy to talk to. For me the awkwardness is it still being car culture despite the density level. I think the car culture keeps san franciscians from really creating a defining culture / character and makes for a kind of socially awkward penguin meme type effect.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:11 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I don't find them to be rude but it does seem that they follow more rules more strictly then the average american. IE I've gotten yelled at a few times for stopping partially over the cross walk. Also they seem to drive 5 mph under the speed limit.

They're blunt not rude, just like any other heavily dense / urban area. Otherwise friendly, approachable and easy to talk to. For me the awkwardness is it still being car culture despite the density level. I think the car culture keeps san franciscians from really creating a defining culture / character and makes for a kind of socially awkward penguin meme type effect.
That's it. But in Socal bluntness is often considered rude, at least in San Diego where I lived. I still have lots of friends in San Diego and I often have to switch modes when talking to them.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:15 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,235 times
I think that's mostly common in towns with a lot of top school college grads who tend to be A types or a bit weird. The "elitism" is really just typical young urban professionalism. The rules are essentially to keep the city as it is, kind of like if they suspect you're being rude or out of line which most ppl are prolly not, they will preemptively strike by putting you on blast.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:49 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
People say that about SF because they have some other axe to grind. It's refreshing to have someone post what my experience has been: friendly, fun, easygoing. I vote we turn your post into a "sticky".

Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
People say that about SF because they have some other axe to grind. It's refreshing to have someone post what my experience has been: friendly, fun, easygoing. I vote we turn your post into a "sticky".

Old 03-24-2013, 02:48 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,326,864 times
I never had rude people cross my path in San Francisco. If you go downtown even, everyone may be in a hurry but I didn't encounter any rudeness. There may be rude tourists though. But you'll get them no matter where you go. I love San Francisco and the people there are part of it.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:51 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,042,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I never had rude people cross my path in San Francisco. If you go downtown even, everyone may be in a hurry but I didn't encounter any rudeness. There may be rude tourists though. But you'll get them no matter where you go. I love San Francisco and the people there are part of it.
When I was in the wharf I had this opinion. Tourists who aren't used to a lot of people and act ignorant because they think they're entitled to their space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland