Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,525 times

Advertisements

Okay, so an old friend of mine was living in the outer mission with two roommates. They are college students, and dudes so you can imagine the state of the house to some extent after they had been there for two years.

One of the guys was moving out for various reasons concerning him not getting along with my friend and the third roommate. I offered to take the room and when the topic of the deposit came up between me and the person whose room I am taking he said he wanted the full deposit from me and that the landlord didn't want to do a walk through and wanted us to work it out between us. I said the full deposit wasn't fair because the deposit reflects the condition of the house in regards to when he moved in and it clearly is below that. The kid moved out and I tried to hold discussions with him about the deposit and how much I owe him and he eventually settled on $700 dollars (the original was $891). I still felt like that was too much and he became rather demanding and rude to me. I asked him to just consult the land lord and have her do a walk through. The landlord then contacted me and I sent her a list of the damages. She never came to look at the actual house or responded to my list of damages. She now has contacted me three weeks later asking that I give the previous tenant the deposit. I am not on the lease or even going to be put on the lease, and the damages I listed have gone unaddressed. Is it my responsibility to pay the deposit to the previous tenant? I believe it is the landlords responsibility to do a walk through and her pay him and then I cover the difference to the land lord. Am I right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 04:56 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
No, leave a proper paper trail. Only give money to landlord and get receipt. Also do a proper walk thru with landlord.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:58 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Read through this handbook, I believe it addresses your situation. I just had a situation regarding my deposit on my old placed I moved out of and this handbook helped me out a lot. Landlord tried to keep all of the deposit but I ended up getting the majority of it back with help from this guide.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...k/catenant.pdf

Old 10-23-2010, 02:15 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Adds a level of complexity with roommates...

Most Landlords are concerned with condition at the commencement and end of the rental period...

Makes it very hard for someone coming in not to caught in the middle.

I would suggest not putting yourself in these kinds of situations... just not worth it.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:12 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Adds a level of complexity with roommates...

Most Landlords are concerned with condition at the commencement and end of the rental period...

Makes it very hard for someone coming in not to caught in the middle.

I would suggest not putting yourself in these kinds of situations... just not worth it.
Agreed.

Not a good sign of things to come if the landlord is unconcerned.

Forget about the incumbent roommate, what's up with the landlord?

In San Francisco its imperative you have legal signed documentation
when money changes hands where rent is concerned.

I agree with Ultrarunner, something's off.

No one to blame but yourself if you experience a loss when you move out and you probably will. Just focus on it as a lesson learned.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:31 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubgrub View Post
I am not on the lease or even going to be put on the lease, and the damages I listed have gone unaddressed.
Does inhabiting a dwelling without written agreement from an owner (lease) negate any legal standing for that person in SF? Seems to relegate one to squatter status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland