U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:01 AM

10,102 posts, read 14,750,134 times

Advertisements

When we first moved to SF I thought it was like a mini-New York, but pretty quickly changed my mind. I think many of the similarities are fairly superficial, or at least there are as many major differences as there are similarities. I love both cities, though.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:17 PM

1,975 posts, read 2,540,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually I don't mean to sound rude but saying they are similar is more of a compliment to NYC than it is to SF, which is actually far more aesthetically pleasing than NYC overall.

As far as vibrancy and quality of amenities, in my experience, the only urban environment in the US that even rivals SF is Chicago and the only urban environment that surpasses SF is Manhattan.
Do you live in SF or have you lived there? Your location shows as New Jersey. I've had people tell me from time to time that San Franciscans think they are the center of the universe. I never understood what they meant until I read this thread.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:42 PM

128 posts, read 46,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Agree that SF exudes many NYesque qualities, especially in how classy Downtown SF is. NY however is just way bigger and way busier.
WTF?!

SF isn't even in the same league as NYC, and exudes no qualities of that city. You're dreamin' buddy. Keep smokin' that dope.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
San Franciscans think they are the center of the universe. I never understood what they meant until I read this thread.
Yep. And that's why we hate them and their "hella" lame, "hella" grimy city.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:23 PM

12,804 posts, read 10,908,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
The person who said that is not alone. My ex-wife said the same exact thing when she came to visit me in NY 10 years ago. I asked her, "so whattya think of NYC ?" and she said, "It's just a bigger San Francisco". Later, when I moved to San Francisco, I always got the feeling that it seemed like an East Coast city on the West Coast.
I have friends that are from New York who've said similar things; a smaller, less flashy version of New York, not like any other west coast city.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:34 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,986,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
As a life long Northern Californian and former Bay Area resident I recently visited New York City for the first time and loved it! I spent most of my time in Manhattan and found the place to be very exciting, fast paced, and full of life. Manhattan slightly reminded me of SF but with bigger buildings and a overall busier feel. I was wondering what people from SF think of New York or Manhattan in particular? Would you ever consider living there?
I lived in Manhattan for a while, and I loved it. That being considered, I don't see Manhattan as a friendly family environment for my needs which is why I moved into the burbs.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:54 PM

17,290 posts, read 11,978,679 times
[mod cut: quote from deleted post]

SF feels a lot more urban than Seattle. It helps there is more public transit and density (and diversity). I think of Seattle as a super clean and green version of SF.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 10-28-2010 at 07:10 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 05:56 PM

25,105 posts, read 32,684,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
One thing that I noticed is Manhattan is amazingly clean for the number of people who live there. After going all around the area I counted a total of 5 homeless people, I couldn't believe it, there's probably more than 5 homeless on any given street in SF!
Unfortunately this is true... there are way more visible homeless in SF than in NY and they can be quite a nuisance--sometimes rude and theyve been known to get violent on a rare occasion.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
SF feels a lot more urban than Seattle. It helps there is more public transit and density (and diversity). I think of Seattle as a super clean and green version of SF.
Probably because you're from around SF, you think in terms of SF. If you've visited Seattle then it's fine to have that opinion I guess. I think most people haven't even considered Seattle when they talk about "west coast" cities.

Downtown L.A. could be considered urban too, and has some walkable parts, but is nothing, absolutely nothing, compared to NYC. In NYC I could walk from Central Park down Broadway or 8th street all the way to Union Square around 14th and always see something or have some place interesting to go. Not a lot of dead Spaces. SF is NOT as walkable as NYC by any means, and NOWHERE NEAR AS URBAN. There are tons of dead spots, even in the most urban parts of SF. And I have never encountered an ANY area in SF that is comparable to the Spring St. area or the Village.

Bottom line. SF has no business comparing itself with New York, because it's not even remotely the same!!!!!!!!!! There aren't hills in Manhattan, no stupid rows of Victorian homes. Central Park dwarfs any park SF has. Even the surrounding areas in the 5 burroughs, that are as much a part of the NYC scene as Manhattan itself, can't be compared to Oakland, Berkeley, or any other crappy East Bay town surrounding SF. Queens by itself is more urban than any of those stupid East Bay shanty towns.

Frisconians quit trying to elevate yourselves to New York's level. You suck. The two most important cities in this country are NYC and L.A.. That's it. Accept it. NO ONE CARES ABOUT SF except for foodies and tech heads.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:23 PM

2,574 posts, read 3,480,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayDefector View Post
Probably because you're from around SF, you think in terms of SF. If you've visited Seattle then it's fine to have that opinion I guess. I think most people haven't even considered Seattle when they talk about "west coast" cities.

Downtown L.A. could be considered urban too, and has some walkable parts, but is nothing, absolutely nothing, compared to NYC. In NYC I could walk from Central Park down Broadway or 8th street all the way to Union Square around 14th and always see something or have some place interesting to go. Not a lot of dead Spaces. SF is NOT as walkable as NYC by any means, and NOWHERE NEAR AS URBAN. There are tons of dead spots, even in the most urban parts of SF. And I have never encountered an ANY area in SF that is comparable to the Spring St. area or the Village.

Bottom line. SF has no business comparing itself with New York, because it's not even remotely the same!!!!!!!!!! There aren't hills in Manhattan, no stupid rows of Victorian homes. Central Park dwarfs any park SF has. Even the surrounding areas in the 5 burroughs, that are as much a part of the NYC scene as Manhattan itself, can't be compared to Oakland, Berkeley, or any other crappy East Bay town surrounding SF. Queens by itself is more urban than any of those stupid East Bay shanty towns.

Frisconians quit trying to elevate yourselves to New York's level. You suck. The two most important cities in this country are NYC and L.A.. That's it. Accept it. NO ONE CARES ABOUT SF except for foodies and tech heads.
What has you so peeved?

Was your time in the Bay Area that bad? Where'd you live? Wha happened? Tell us about yourself and your experience so that we can better help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland