Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:17 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,214 times

Advertisements

As a life long Northern Californian and former Bay Area resident I recently visited New York City for the first time and loved it! I spent most of my time in Manhattan and found the place to be very exciting, fast paced, and full of life. Manhattan slightly reminded me of SF but with bigger buildings and a overall busier feel. I was wondering what people from SF think of New York or Manhattan in particular? Would you ever consider living there?

Old 10-27-2010, 04:04 PM

32 posts, read 101,800 times
Love it!!!!!!!

If I hit the jackpot, I'd move to a mansion or one of those classic penthouses lining Central Park.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:16 PM

312 posts, read 502,214 times
New York is great I used to live there when I was younger. I could live there again if I were rich but it would be a vacation home for 3-4 months a year..

Old 10-27-2010, 04:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I've always said I'd live in New York if I had a trust fund or a free centrally located apartment. Still waiting.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:37 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
I used to live in the UWS, then I moved away and then came back earlier this year and stayed at my mother-in-law's place in the UES until I found a place of my own out in Alpine.

Love the city. Its one of a kind.

Agree that SF exudes many NYesque qualities, especially in how classy Downtown SF is. NY however is just way bigger and way busier.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:42 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
I'm not a native, but I did live on the peninsula for more than 10 years. I also lived in Chicago. I don't mean to sound rude, but saying that New York looked just like San Francisco, except with bigger buildings sounds really weird.

Go ahead and be proud of your city, but please don't feel the need to compare it with some place else. New York is a great city, but there is no comparison between it and San Francisco. Given the chance, I would live in Manhattan before I lived in San Francisco.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:02 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I'm not a native, but I did live on the peninsula for more than 10 years. I also lived in Chicago. I don't mean to sound rude, but saying that New York looked just like San Francisco, except with bigger buildings sounds really weird.
Actually I don't mean to sound rude but saying they are similar is more of a compliment to NYC than it is to SF, which is actually far more aesthetically pleasing than NYC overall.

As far as vibrancy and quality of amenities, in my experience, the only urban environment in the US that even rivals SF is Chicago and the only urban environment that surpasses SF is Manhattan.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:36 AM

880 posts, read 1,800,214 times
One thing that I noticed is Manhattan is amazingly clean for the number of people who live there. After going all around the area I counted a total of 5 homeless people, I couldn't believe it, there's probably more than 5 homeless on any given street in SF!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:42 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post

Go ahead and be proud of your city, but please don't feel the need to compare it with some place else. New York is a great city, but there is no comparison between it and San Francisco. Given the chance, I would live in Manhattan before I lived in San Francisco.
The person who said that is not alone. My ex-wife said the same exact thing when she came to visit me in NY 10 years ago. I asked her, "so whattya think of NYC ?" and she said, "It's just a bigger San Francisco". Later, when I moved to San Francisco, I always got the feeling that it seemed like an East Coast city on the West Coast.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:46 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
I have only been to NYC once and it was only for 3 days with a long job interview. (they lost my paperwork and I didn't get the job. ) I'd like to try and visit again for longer sometime next Spring, I went in May last time and the weather was perfect.

Pretty amazing architecture there though there are also a lot more ugly buildings than in SF. It didn't reallys strike me as crowded but then I didn't have to ride the subway to work. SF always strikes me as crowded. Public transit is better there which is a plus. Weather sounds pretty horrible though. People there always seem to complain about the living conditions in NY--horrible overpriced apartments--but I don't know how much of that is New Yorkers complaining. Everyone I've known from NY liked to complain...

I lived in Chicago for a couple of years before moving to SF and I really liked it except for the weather. It is a lot more spread out than SF so it's easier to have a car there, but the public transit is more reliable than in SF...but it's so much bigger that it takes longer to get anywhere on public transit. SF is just more walkable and dense. In terms of layout most of Chicago is a lot more like Oakland than SF--much more houses with bigger lots (but still pretty small lots) with some apartment buildings mixed in, and more spread out. In terms of stuff to do Chicago and SF are pretty even. SF has a certain vibrancy that you don't get in Chicago, but Chicago feels more relaxed because you can go out to eat or drink and not have to deal with massive noisy crowds at any place that is worth eating at like you do in SF.

Something I really like about SF and the Bay Area that you never see in big eastern cities is how wild and untamed it is. Yes it's mostly built up but SF has places like the trails in Lincoln Park that are pretty wild, and give you great views of the Marin Headlands which are beautiful and undeveloped. In Chicago a similar view would be of Gary Indiana.

Last edited by mayorhaggar; 10-28-2010 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland