U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,544,561 times

Advertisements

Mission Bay sounds like a good choice. The train option would be really nice. As noted, there are some mid-rises and smaller buildings there, too. Someone threw out North Beach; that could work, and I think it has a little bit of a similar vibe to the St. Anthony area.

Someone mentioned Noe Valley; that definitely counts as "charming," but it might be too stroller-set for you. (I'm from Minneapolis, too, and Noe Valley would be the equivalent of Linden Hills, just with SF style houses and a bigger business district.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 03:43 AM

27 posts, read 59,989 times
Interesting to see all the Minnesotans on here!

Old 04-11-2011, 02:58 PM

Just an update to say we took a scoping trip last month to check out specific neighborhoods. Your advice really helped.

We loved: Telegraph Hill, Embarcadero (not a ton of living options close by), Marina/Cow Hollow, Laurel Heights, Hayes Valley

We didn't like: any and all bay area suburbs, Potrero anything, SOMA, South Beach, Mission, Mission Bay, Haight, Castro

Wish I would have checked out: Alamo Square/NOPA

Knowing what we like and don't like, any thoughts on Alamo Square/NOPA area? On the map, it seems to be close to both highway and great places to exercise. Also, driving around made us decide we definitely don't need 2 cars. We'd be a 1 car couple and only need 1 parking spot. We also think we'll be OK with a 1 bedroom and try to stick to under $2500 a month in rent since San Francisco cost of living is so much higher than ours.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:16 PM

2,452 posts, read 4,475,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie421 View Post
Knowing what we like and don't like, any thoughts on Alamo Square/NOPA area?
There is not much going on there. Your main shopping strip is Divisadero. Castro,Haight & the Valencia area in the Mission are definitely more appealing. Also Alamo Square is only about 4 blocks north of the Lower Haight. Your main walkable shopping is this area in addition to Divisadero.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:27 PM

802 posts, read 1,999,017 times
Quote:
Knowing what we like and don't like, any thoughts on Alamo Square/NOPA area? On the map, it seems to be close to both highway and great places to exercise. Also, driving around made us decide we definitely don't need 2 cars. We'd be a 1 car couple and only need 1 parking spot. We also think we'll be OK with a 1 bedroom and try to stick to under $2500 a month in rent since San Francisco cost of living is so much higher than ours.
If you live around Alamo Square, the closest restaurants will be those on Divisadero (primarily between Oak and Fulton), those in Hayes Valley (mostly between Laguna and Franklin), and a few on Haight between Fillmore and Scott. You'll find a lot of food options, mostly on the casual side. Unfortunately, if there aren't any high-end grocery stores in the area; the closest large groceries stores are Safeways (one on Webster and Geary near Japantown and the other on Church and Mission).

As for a clean, modern living spaces, you'll have to go check out places for yourself. In that area, I've been in a number of homes that have been completely renovated with modern amenities but there are many others that have not been updated in many years (or ever). In that neighborhood especially, I think that it's hard to tell from the outside what the interior space will look like.

Also, I would highly encourage that you look for a place with off-street parking. My then-girlfriend (now wife) used to live right off of Alamo Square and it was a real PITA to find a parking spot. There's a lot of turnover during the day, but finding a place after 6pm can be a very painful experience. (I know because she lived there for four years before we got married and moved; I can't count how many hours I wasted looking for a place to park.)

Old 04-11-2011, 07:02 PM

Sounds like that area's a no go. And I agree mdwstrnkid, off street parking is a must. We just decided we only need it for 1 car.

Last question, I know all the sites for finding rental housing, but does anyone know of a good, trusted agent?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:32 PM

802 posts, read 1,999,017 times
If you are considering Marina/Cow Hollow and Laurel Heights, why not Pacific Heights or Lower Pac Heights? Both of these neighborhoods are closer to freeway access and have many restaurant options along Fillmore Street and Japantown. You can also find two higher-end grocery stores in these neighborhoods: Whole Foods at California and Franklin, and Mollie Stone's at California and Steiner. You also have much easier parking situations in these neighborhoods (can vary depending on your exact location, of course).

Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 PM

45 posts, read 76,786 times
Quote:
Sounds like that area's a no go. And I agree mdwstrnkid, off street parking is a must. We just decided we only need it for 1 car.

Last question, I know all the sites for finding rental housing, but does anyone know of a good, trusted agent?
Have you checked out Pacific Heights or Presidio Heights? With your income it sounds like you should be able to rent comfortably there. Try to find something on Jackson Street as the 3 route will take you to Union Square and Financial District in 30 mins. Also, its absolutely gorgeous to go running along Broadway, Lyon street steps and even Presidio. A good workout would be just climb up and down Divisadero. There are innumerable trails in the Presidio as well and Baker beach is close by. Additionally, there are a couple of nice parks as well - the Alta Plaza park and the Lafayette Park.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:51 PM

I don't remember spending a lot of time in either neighborhood, but I don't remember hating them either. So that's a good sign! My firm is starting to toss around numbers, so I'll probably be going back out there soon. I'll definitely look at Pacific Heights, Lower Pacific Heights, and Presidio Heights. Thanks for the heads up! We're getting very excited.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:29 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,026,039 times
I like Lower Pacific Heights, plus it's right next to Japantown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland