U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2010, 11:17 PM
 
Location: South Korea
5,242 posts, read 11,019,669 times
Reputation: 2926

Advertisements

It should be easier to find places now because the economy still sucks, but still be prepared to be aggressive. I have looked for apartments of different size all over the city and always had to deal with fighting past dozens of people to get the landlord to approve me, but the last time I looked in SF was in 2007 which I think must have been the end of the boom times here, I looked for like 2 months for a place and just could not get a place no matter how many applications I put in, and it's not like I was asking for a mansion at $200, I was looking for rooms to sublet and studios and just could not get anything.

Oakland should definitely be a lot easier to find places. I moved here in July and got the first studio apartment I went to see. No fuss from the landlord and she just gave it to me when I said I wanted it. Rockridge is more expensive than most other parts of Oakland partly because it's mostly houses instead of apartments, but it also has a lot less crime. But you can get pretty cheap apartments in Rockridge like 1 bedrooms for $1000-1100. In SF that would be more like $1500. Downtown Berkeley is cool but flooded with college students which means everything is kind of crowded, including the housing market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2010, 11:45 PM
 
64 posts, read 195,089 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Don't be scared off... the above is only true if you're looking in the MOST popular price & location, i.e. under $1200 in SoMa. I found my last few places on Craigslist, and didn't really have any competition. One was a 3-bedroom house near Bayview (sketchy area), and I only had to edge out maybe 2 people - and my current place is a huge complex, so they have many vacancies at any given time. Like somebody else said, you probably want to expand your neighborhoods, since the Mission is overpriced and overcrowded. Why do you want to live there specifically? Just heard it's cool, or what?
Yeah, it's cool! Haha. Actually, I'm from Jackson Heights, NYC and have been living in Mexico for the past 3 years, so I kinda gravitate towards Latino neighborhoods. But I am definitely open to other areas.

Anyway, thanks for reassuring me that the competition for apartments isn't THAT bad. It sounds like things were much worse a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2010, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
27,312 posts, read 42,772,219 times
Reputation: 17261
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucillenyc View Post
Yeah, it's cool! Haha. Actually, I'm from Jackson Heights, NYC and have been living in Mexico for the past 3 years, so I kinda gravitate towards Latino neighborhoods. But I am definitely open to other areas.

Anyway, thanks for reassuring me that the competition for apartments isn't THAT bad. It sounds like things were much worse a few years ago.
Yeah, it was definitely worse before the economy collapsed. Now it's being called a "renter's market," but prices unfortunately haven't dropped that much... competition has dropped, though, since more people are leaving than coming to SF.

What kind of budget do you have, and where (if anywhere) will you be working? Also, how big of a place do you need, and do you have pets? There are tons of "cool" neighborhoods in SF, so I'm sure you can find something to your liking... if Latino flavor is important, you could consider the cheaper Excelsior district, which is along the south-end of Mission St. I'm sure some people will say "No, it's dangerous!" but keep in mind there are lots of wimps around here. Sorry, it had to be said. Seriously though, the Excelsior is no more dangerous than the Mission, actually less so IMO. I worked there for about 6 months, and couldn't really say anything bad about it.

Other neighborhoods to consider, depending on your budget... SoMa, Lower Haight, Mission Bay, Bernal Heights, Castro, Noe Valley, and downtown/Union Square. If you're not afraid of a little grittiness, there are also LOTS of rentals in the "Tender-Nob" (border of Tenderloin and Nob Hill). And if you're worried about the competition, try some of the big complexes in your price range. Good luck!

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-02-2010 at 12:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 12:01 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
27,312 posts, read 42,772,219 times
Reputation: 17261
P.S. If you really want "cool," the Rockridge neighborhood probably won't do it for ya... I'm not that familiar with it, but pretty sure it's a suburban higher-end type of neighborhood. Berkeley is very cool, but would be a lousy commute if you work in SF - unless you live AND work super close to BART.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 12:16 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,677 posts, read 27,575,764 times
Reputation: 25631
Wow, "I've never been to Rockridge....but I think it is...."

It actually isn't anymore suburban than Noe Valley. A commercial strip surrounded by single family homes -- small lots and all. A few blocks have larger buildings, so it is pretty dense. That being said, there isn't much nightlife. It is mostly shopping and restaurants. It is close to the neighborhoods with nightlife in Berkeley and Oakland. I wouldn't really call Berkeley "cool." There is lots of great food and a handful of night spots. These days downtown Oakland is a lot "cooler" than downtown Berkeley. 5 years ago I wouldn't have said that about either.

But keep in mind much of Oakland is actually closer to downtown SF than most of SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 12:26 AM
 
64 posts, read 195,089 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, it was definitely worse before the economy collapsed. Now it's being called a "renter's market," but prices unfortunately haven't dropped that much... competition has dropped, though, since more people are leaving than coming to SF.

What kind of budget do you have, and where (if anywhere) will you be working? Also, how big of a place do you need, and do you have pets? There are tons of "cool" neighborhoods in SF, so I'm sure you can find something to your liking... if Latino flavor is important, you could consider the cheaper Excelsior district, which is along the south-end of Mission St. I'm sure some people will say "No, it's dangerous!" but keep in mind there are lots of wimps around here. Sorry, it had to be said. Seriously though, the Excelsior is no more dangerous than the Mission, actually less so IMO. I worked there for about 6 months, and couldn't really say anything bad about it.

Other neighborhoods to consider, depending on your budget... SoMa, Lower Haight, Mission Bay, Bernal Heights, Castro, Noe Valley, and downtown/Union Square. If you're not afraid of a little grittiness, there are also LOTS of rentals in the "Tender-Nob" (border of Tenderloin and Nob Hill). And if you're worried about the competition, try some of the big complexes in your price range. Good luck!
Thanks, Gizmo! That's really helpful info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 12:31 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
27,312 posts, read 42,772,219 times
Reputation: 17261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Wow, "I've never been to Rockridge....but I think it is...."
Never said I haven't been there, just said I wasn't that familiar with it... and why do you think I premised with that? It was to let her know it was only a guess, and apparently I am mistaken. Sheesh, settle down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 12:37 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
27,312 posts, read 42,772,219 times
Reputation: 17261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
But keep in mind much of Oakland is actually closer to downtown SF than most of SF.
Oh, and this may be true... but that doesn't mean it takes less TIME to get back & forth. I used to commute across the bay (reverse commute from SF-Richmond), and even going against traffic it was horrible. There were times I'd be sitting on the bridge for 30+ minutes, not including the toll plaza line - which renders my FasTrak useless, since it takes 15-20 minutes to fight your way to the FasTrak lane. After a few months of that, I started hanging out in the East Bay until ~7pm, just to avoid the stress of fighting bridge traffic. By public transit (BART), however, I would actually prefer to commute to SF from Oakland. So nice and relaxing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,677 posts, read 27,575,764 times
Reputation: 25631
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oh, and this may be true... but that doesn't mean it takes less TIME to get back & forth. I used to commute across the bay (reverse commute from SF-Richmond), and even going against traffic it was horrible. There were times I'd be sitting on the bridge for 30+ minutes, not including the toll plaza line - which renders my FasTrak useless, since it takes 15-20 minutes to fight your way to the FasTrak lane. After a few months of that, I started hanging out in the East Bay until ~7pm, just to avoid the stress of fighting bridge traffic. By public transit (BART), however, I would actually prefer to commute to SF from Oakland. So nice and relaxing!
Oh yeah, I almost never drive to SF. I take transit, and I live possibly 3 miles from the toll plaza.

But if you need to take 80, that commute is awful both directions. You absolutely need to come from 880 or 580, it is at least 20 minutes faster during commute times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2010, 11:58 AM
 
Location: South Korea
5,242 posts, read 11,019,669 times
Reputation: 2926
From Rockridge to downtown Oakland the traffic across the bridge is usually ok and not as bad as I thought it would be. Some days it's stop and go but other days it's really fast. Usually it's right in between and it takes about 20 minutes which is about the same amount of time to take BART. But whenever I look at 511.org in the morning, 580 between around Oakland and Richmond is always red--real slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top