U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 05:19 PM

3,022 posts, read 5,532,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahooligan View Post
Can't add too much to the above, but Oakland has some very nice, expensive areas (the hills), and then there's the rest of the city, where safety security can vary from block to block, but you ALWAYS need to have your guard up.

The problem is that even if you live in a nice area of Oakland, to go anywhere, you're probably going to have to drive through some high-risk areas, & by high-risk I don't just mean car-jacking, but getting smashed into by some punk driving like an idiot to 'show-off' to women (seems like in a certain culture, the mating-dance involves doing something sociopathic) or someone fleeing from the police.

I too have liked the 'edge' of living in a 'rough' community, but when I did it, I was single & had $$$ to protect myself as best I could. No way would I willingly take such risks if I had a live-in girlfriend, let-alone kids.

Do you really want to have a legitimate concern that some thug(s) will pull a home-invasion/sexual-assault/car theft on your girlfriend as she parks in your home's parking lot or driveway when you're not home? It's certainly not guaranteed that'd happen to her, but if you live in most parks of Oakland & have paid attention to the local crime reports, that daily concern is valid.

There are many, many communities there in the East Bay, and all have at least a slightly different culture to them, so it really can be tough to chose where to live without actually spending some time in the area & exploring.

As someone else mentioned, there are at least a couple old factory/warehouse buildings around Oakland & Emeryville that have been turned into lofts. Because they're in what's still a rather industrial area, the crime rate isn't as high as in the residential areas -- though understand that crime is still high, relatively speaking.

Maybe you & your woman could give that a try, but I'd want to leave for a much more safe, quiet suburban area (Walnut Creek, Pleasanton, Livermore in the East Bay) before having a child.

Boy, you sound like a boat load of fun. Paranoid much? I drive through 'iffy' areas of Oakland in my Toyota Camry Hybrid with my wife all the time, and we've yet to be murdered, molested, or bothered in any manner. We have a season pass to the zoo and instead of taking 13 to 580, we like to drive down new streets we've never been down as we meander our way to East Oakland. The worst thing that ever happened to us was somewhere near the zoo I pulled into a driveway to turn around and my muffler got caught on a part of the asphalt! Aside from being pissed about that, all of our experience are pleasant.

On the way to the airport, Oracle, or the Coliseum we take 13 to 580 to 98th street and take 98th to Hegenberger and park for FREE on the street near the BART Station - Oh my gosh - how have we not been murdered yet?! Shocking.

Act like you know what you're doing, carry a $20 in your pocket in case you need it, be nice to people, don't draw attention to yourself - don't live in fear - especially not irrational fear like the kind I'm reading from you right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 08:03 PM

416 posts, read 1,474,994 times
Yeah, if you are just passing through, the 'hood isn't bad. I've been exposed to PLENTY of hood over the past couple of years and never had any issues. Most time if you mind your business, they will mind theirs. I'm sure Oakland is no different.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:40 PM

7,675 posts, read 24,930,469 times
Just thought I'd mention, San Jose is the same distance from Pleasanton as Oakland, and traffic is rarely a problem in that direction except for maybe a mile or two on 680 going through the east side..

Old 11-07-2010, 01:26 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,898,880 times
OP, if you can handle Philly, Boston and Miami you can easily handle San Francisco/Oakland (as far as rat race goes).

Old 11-07-2010, 06:15 AM

416 posts, read 1,474,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Just thought I'd mention, San Jose is the same distance from Pleasanton as Oakland, and traffic is rarely a problem in that direction except for maybe a mile or two on 680 going through the east side..
Interesting sonarrat, I've never even thought of SJ. How would the commute from Oakland-Pleasanton differ from San Jose-Pleasanton? Which would be shorter? This would really open up my living options. Thanks!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:04 AM

7,675 posts, read 24,930,469 times
They're almost exactly the same in distance. From Oakland you're coming over the Dublin Grade on I-580, from San Jose you're coming over the Sunol Grade on I-680, both in reverse commute direction. One difference is that there's no reasonable peak-hour public transit from San Jose to Pleasanton, so if you want a railway option, you have to choose Oakland. Taken as a whole San Jose is a much safer city, but it still has some livelier areas, like Santana Row which may at least remind you of the scene at home..

Old 11-07-2010, 09:03 AM

31,575 posts, read 53,003,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahooligan View Post
Can't add too much to the above, but Oakland has some very nice, expensive areas (the hills), and then there's the rest of the city, where safety security can vary from block to block, but you ALWAYS need to have your guard up.
Street smarts apply in any urban environment, but never in East Oakland has concern for the possiblity of being victimized by crime consumed my life-and I grew up there. Its quite frankly not something that we worry too much about.

Last night around 10ish I got a desire for a burrito, but a real one, so I decided to go over to Sinaloa(a taco truck/restaurant)on International Bl in the San Antonio District-and when I arrived there were a ton of people standing there, socializing while waiting for their tacos, burritos, quesadillas etc, of all races and backgrounds.

Yes, my eyes did behold a prostitute or two walking by, and I did see, gulp, black people in cars playing very loud music-but then I also saw Asians driving by in cars playing very loud music too. And there was a panhandler singing for change. Some hipsters recorded it and Im sure by now its on youtube.

But I made it out just fine, as I have the countless other times I decided to go into the hood at night just cause.

Quote:
The problem is that even if you live in a nice area of Oakland, to go anywhere, you're probably going to have to drive through some high-risk areas, & by high-risk I don't just mean car-jacking, but getting smashed into by some punk driving like an idiot to 'show-off' to women (seems like in a certain culture, the mating-dance involves doing something sociopathic) or someone fleeing from the police.
Name one such instance where leaving the hills, you would have to drive through a 'high risk' area of Oakland?

Quote:
Do you really want to have a legitimate concern that some thug(s) will pull a home-invasion/sexual-assault/car theft on your girlfriend as she parks in your home's parking lot or driveway when you're not home?
You mean like this:
After Rapes, Park Regency Residents Want Out - The Bay Citizen

Quote:
Maybe you & your woman could give that a try, but I'd want to leave for a much more safe, quiet suburban area (Walnut Creek, Pleasanton, Livermore in the East Bay) before having a child.
I have a real concern about raising kids in places where I perceive kids to be overly materialistic and shallow. Its a real issue for me.

The East Bay's tony suburbs are more materialistic than the ones across the bay imo. Schools are better too tho, but I wonder if its worth it?

Sometimes I think Id rather raise kids somewhere middle class, but still nice, like Fairfield or Concord or hell, even Antioch-because I want my kids to be 'normal'.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:27 AM

3,022 posts, read 5,532,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Wow, I had no idea they were blocking them from getting out of their lease, too. That's really, really unbelievably disgusting. I know it will fall on deaf ears, but I'll surely be calling them to air my feelings on that.

Quote:
Sometimes I think Id rather raise kids somewhere middle class, but still nice, like Fairfield or Concord or hell, even Antioch-because I want my kids to be 'normal'.
Aw you've forever endeared yourself to me by choosing my city.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:23 PM

26,842 posts, read 28,054,112 times
San Jose generally feels pretty suburban. The best, walkable neighborhood is Willow Glen and parts of downtown but otherwise you need to drive everywhere. Personally I don't like Santana Row. As it is one of the few "neighborhoods" with nightlife in the South Bay it gets ridiculously crowded. Parking is a disaster. I think it is easier to park in SF than Santana Row on a weekend evening. I have had far more ridiculous incidents than you can count. The worst was a jerk and his friend who decided to stand in front of my car while his friend cut me off to get the parking space. I found it first and was in the process of pulling into it, but they came around from the other side to cut me off (much bigger car). And yes I drove within 1 foot of him to get him to move out of the way, but clearly I am not the type of person who will run someone over for a parking spot, but believe me I was tempted.

Also, Santana Row is a "flashy" scene compared with the bulk of the Bay Area. The people drive their lamborghinis, ferraris and tesla sports cars to show off over there. I haven't found it to be very fun, overworked people are so busy showing off its a snooze-fest. It is a bit like going to the Palms in Las Vegas. A lot of people who would like to show off that they have cash to spend --except these people are well educated. This is way more common in the South Bay than anywhere else. (Yes, I do not like the South Bay..... too much driving, and very LA, but plenty of my close friends live over there)

I'd recommend spending time on both sides of town to see what scene is a better fit for you and your socializing style.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:28 PM

26,842 posts, read 28,054,112 times
Quote:
I have a real concern about raising kids in places where I perceive kids to be overly materialistic and shallow. Its a real issue for me.

The East Bay's tony suburbs are more materialistic than the ones across the bay imo. Schools are better too tho, but I wonder if its worth it?

LOL, I understand completely! I don't have kids yet and that is one of my #1 concerns. Where can I raise my kids where they'll be able to attend public schools and be normal and well adjusted?

But I have met plenty of the kids I don't like on the Peninsula too. Overly competitive. It reminds me of the schools I attended growing up. They devoted equal space and airtime to winners of academic pursuits as athletics. The unofficial motto was "if you aren't a winner you don't count."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland