Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 07:29 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times

Advertisements

Removed - don't discuss other posters please.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I like SF but I cannot understand or support the city on this.[/

And you see things my way, no surprise there.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 11-08-2010 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 07:41 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Whether it be beer or Happy meals, it's the responsibility of the adult that making the purchase to use wisdom and common sense. This isn't a liberal or a conservative thing. I'm a liberal but I also don't believe in restricting anyone from making choices for them or their families. That's their responsibility, not any governments.

Don't get me wrong, I like SF but I cannot understand or support the city on this.
I'm a moderate and fiscally conservative. My son lives in the SF area and it is a great place.

My hat's off to you for such a good post with much wisdom. It's scary to think so many of our young want someone else deciding how they should live, what they eat and how they should think.

Freedoms given away are difficult to ever get back

Great post.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:49 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'm a moderate and fiscally conservative. My son lives in the SF area and it is a great place.

My hat's off to you for such a good post with much wisdom. It's scary to think so many of our young want someone else deciding how they should live, what they eat and how they should think.

Freedoms given away are difficult to ever get back

Great post.
Thanks. I would really hope that all of us, regardless what side of the political spectrum we find ourselves on are aware when any of our rights are restricted in anyway. I've ranted on this many times in C-D.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:54 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
I refer to my post #114. Does anyone think that the kid will trade the happy meal for a healthier choice just because you take the toy out? If so, they are just as stupid as the SF BOS.
That's because what you described is not the scenario here.

For what seems like the 100th time, Happy Meals are not being banned. Happy meals now have to fit certain caloric/fat/sugar restrictions. So this doesn't mean that McD's is going to do away with Happy Meals altogether. It means that Happy Meals are going to include less unhealthy stuff, more fruits or vegetables, and yes, they will still have a toy. I highly doubt the kid is going to care, let alone notice, that the fries are a bit smaller and there are now apples.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:58 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
So please answer the other posts about Oreo's, Whole Milk, White Bread, M&M's and the other crap marketed to kids ? What you gonna do about 80% of the stuff sold and marketed to kids ?

How about all that sweet cereal with goofy cartoon pics ?

As an adult do you think you should have any say in what you buy for your kids?

Ever buy Cracker Jacks just to get the prize inside ? It also should be banned.

Too bad adults can't make their own decisions in CA.
FYI, whole milk is healthier than nonfat milk. The fat helps with digestion and the move to nonfat milk is one reason why, sadly, so many people are becoming allergic to it. But again, either of those are much better for you than everything else you described.

Putting calorie/fat/sugar restrictions on Happy Meals does NOT mean "adults can't make their own decisions in CA." Your statement was overdramatic and you know it.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:33 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Putting calorie/fat/sugar restrictions on Happy Meals does NOT mean "adults can't make their own decisions in CA." Your statement was overdramatic and you know it.
I disagree. I'm an adult, I don't need another adult telling me what to feed my kids or myself. It's not a silly toy, it's letting other people make the decisions in life that should be my decisions.

If you ban things that lure kids, where do you stop ? Are cereals not geared toward kids ? Do they still not come with a "Prize" inside.

The biggest comparable to McDonalds is Cracker Jacks. Did you ever buy CJ's for the toy ? That should be your right, not some politicians.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:44 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,152 times
Why doesn't SF target the real enemy? KFC. They use greasy fried chicken breasts as buns. It's crazy!!!

Old 11-07-2010, 11:16 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
That's because what you described is not the scenario here.

For what seems like the 100th time, Happy Meals are not being banned. Happy meals now have to fit certain caloric/fat/sugar restrictions. So this doesn't mean that McD's is going to do away with Happy Meals altogether. It means that Happy Meals are going to include less unhealthy stuff, more fruits or vegetables, and yes, they will still have a toy. I highly doubt the kid is going to care, let alone notice, that the fries are a bit smaller and there are now apples.
You should just give up. I know I have. They are not capable of rational thoughts or intelligent conversation regarding most topics surrounding California.

We have told them Santa Clara County did it first.

We have told them there is no ban.

But stubborn BIASED people will never see the truth.

I BOUGHT A HAPPY MEAL TODAY IN SF, there is no ban. No arrest was made for selling me a Happy Meal.

But the extravagant lie that SF banned happy meals sound SO much better to BIGOTS.

Did you hear Chicago banned CHICAGO DOGS? Oh wait, what really happened was Byron's ran out of mustard. But the city banning them sounds SO much worse.

As for letting parents take care of the menu, do you let parents give children drugs, alcohol and cigs? Why not? It is THEIR CHILD? Oh because it is NOT in the best interest of the child, so therefore we created laws protecting children from their parents. Some parents believe in beating their children, we also have laws that if you injur a child beyond reason, that it becomes CHILD ABUSE.

Get over it, move to another country if you don't like the LAWS.

Move to Mexico, they don't care what you do with your kids. Once in awhile they pretend to enforce the LAW. But that is just for show. All the FREEDOM none of the hassle of the government bothering you.

Mexican Man Allegedly Tries To Sell Woman, 4 Kids To U.S. For $2,000 Each
The suspect confessed that he planned sell them to a contact in the United States to work as prostitutes, the a police statement said. He also allegedly wanted to sell his two stepsons, ages 1 and 4, it added.

Man accused of selling daughter for cash, beer - U.S. news - Weird news - Criminal weirdness - msnbc.com

He hesitated to say the girl was being sold into marriage, as the money was intended as a dowry and the beer and meat were for the wedding. But, he added, the arrangement violates California law, where the age of consent for marriage is 18, and with parental approval, 16.

Teen's arranged marriage is allowed in native Mexico - Los Angeles Times

"There was no force, fear or coercion," he said. "What we're dealing with now is a difference in cultures. All of this would have been perfectly legal where they came from."

Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Warning Warning Warning

http://bestsmileys.com/storms/3.gif (broken link)

Need we go here again?

People are straying off topic, and turning some of the comments towards things that have nothing to do with that topic (such as politics, race, personal insults, etc). Stop. Read the first post. Comment on that topic only. Thank you.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Child: "Mommie, I want the happy meal with the free toy in it"

Mom: "Sorry son, SF banned the free toy"

Child: "Oh, in that case give me the garden salad with Newman's own light
balsamic vinaigrette and a bottled water"

The BOS are idiots if they think the kids are going to choose a healthier alternative because there is no toy. It's up to the parents to stand firm and make proper choices. If they can't, than they have no business being parents.
Do you honestly believe that's how advertising and marketing works?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland