Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:58 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times

Advertisements

Like that's going to stop the fat kids from eating Happy Meals. I love San Francisco, they thoroughly amuse me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 09:59 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
The liberal food nazi's strike again.
The food nazi's...Classic, yet very true..

Old 11-04-2010, 03:55 AM

858 posts, read 2,236,476 times
Although I am pretty progressive and into healthy food, I don't like the law. It's ridiculous! As someone mentioned on here, it should be the parents that should control what gets put into a kid's mouth.

This sucks because this city already has more dogs than children.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
You may think that it's funny, but my 4 year old already has a strong association between McDonalds and toys. Hence he likes McD a lot more than, say, Carls Junior.
and your point is?

When are some going to realize, kids, like adults, need to do some fun things once in awhile. I raised 3 kids, was a stay at home mom for most of those years, have a degree in foods and nuitr. and my kids, as adults eat very healthy.

What harm will a "happy meal" with a toy do to them say once a week? If mommy cooks healthy meals or when most dining out meals are healthy, let the kids enjoy a little bit of fun food and yes, a fun food with a toy. Oh and may I ask, if your 4 year old already prefers MickyDs to Carl Jrs, who's fault it that? You are saying the government should control what food your kids can eat, but you have introduced her/him to junk food.

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 11-04-2010 at 05:53 AM..

Old 11-04-2010, 05:46 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
But yet, there are "medical marijuana" stores, methadone clinics and homeless junkies all over the place.

And we conservatives are seen as crazy.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visen View Post
Good start, but they need to bad all junk food chain places in the city.
and why is that? Do you really think a junk meal is going to hurt anyone if they control how often they indulge?

This is like saying alcohol should be ban or gambling or whatever. No, people should be educated so they know what is good for their bodies, how often we can abuse our bodies and what the consequences are and let people live their lives.

Nita

Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
There are a lot of unhealthy places to eat in San Francisco, including very high-end, expensive places, not to mention the large numbers of interesting locally-owned places. Even so, most places still offer at least some healthy options, and even if they don't, you don't have to eat there every day!

One of the best things, from a healthy eating standpoint, about SF is that while the food overall can be very expensive, the fresh produce from the city's many produce markets is very cheap. The kid who gets a happy meal during a once-a-week lunch out with his mom could well be going home to enjoy a dinner featuring tons of locally (or at least CA) grown fresh, seasonal fruits and vegetables. Or not, but either way, the city can't control that.

I think it's wonderful that fast food places do now offer some options like apple slices, but even if they don't, the parent still controls whether or not to go there, and if so, how often. I still think there are some things that should be regulated (and again, really hate the power of that fast food advertising), but no one is forcing a parent to bring a kid into a fast food place, and once there, no one is forcing the kid to have a happy meal. (and besides, a happy meal once in awhile isn't going to hurt them.)

Old 11-04-2010, 11:42 AM

731 posts, read 1,368,071 times
Chinese restaurants should be outlawed in SF. All that MSG will give you high blood pressure.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:48 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
What a bunch of morons. I think they have more important problems to deal with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhLdr...eature=related

Old 11-04-2010, 12:02 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
The BoS's concern is a little misplaced. Kids in San Francisco generally have to walk (over very hilly streets) almost anywhere they need to go. This isn't some auto-centered suburban tract where about the only exercise a kid gets during the day is walking from the front door to the minivan to get to school. Things haven't changed a lot here since I was a kid - you have to hoof it a lot. Plus San Francisco isn't the fast food central most other places are. I know where some McDonald's are, but they're often no more convenient than a sit-down restaurant here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland