Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 01:23 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
That defeats the purpose of 'Quality of life'.
Quality of life is in the eye of the beholder. I recently had to pick out a new place, and to me QOL meant a convenient location, a private, modern apartment, and amenities, so I chose a complex in south San Jose. If it meant being in the middle of all the action and living the hipster life, then I would have accepted a lot less for my $1500 a month to live in San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 10:16 PM

129 posts, read 405,276 times
I have not read other people's replies yet or your subsequent posts.

But, I think you should GO FOR IT!!!! :-)

Sometimes you just gotta take the leap & jump!!!

But, then again, I'm a big believer in following your dreams & taking risks. I'm also an idealist dreamer.

But....I mean, you graduate in Dec. & don't start Nurse Practioner school until August. So....if you stay in KY from Dec. to August, what are you going to be doing? Working one or two jobs?

I assume you will have to pay rent during that time you are in KY, although you are not paying rent currently, as you mentioned that your "not paying rent" was going to be ending soon.

How much will you be paying rent for while you are in KY from Dec. to Aug? Would it be comparable to the same amount of rent you would pay if you lived with your boyfriend in SF during that time period or if you had roommates & paid rent for a bedroom in a house or apt??

Look at Craigslist. You can find some reasonable roommate situations.

You are about to graduate & then you an 8 month break until you GO BACK for more schooling. You are YOUNG! You only live once. You have a BF in SF!!! I say GO FOR IT!!!!! Follow your heart!!!

You state you are miserable where you are & state how boring it is.

Go LIVE LIFE!!!

Be adventurous!

You sound like you are very mature, financially responsible, a hard worker, motivated, goal driven, etc.....I'm SURE you can DO IT!!!!!!!!

Let us know what you decide to do & how it goes.

Wishing you all the best!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:18 PM

129 posts, read 405,276 times
[quote=mayorhaggar;16533867]Well I moved to SF with $18 in my bank account so I guess I know something about scraping by without much moolah.

WOW.....you are my hero! :-)

Seriously...I do admire you for just going for it & making it!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:28 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,162,376 times
Lots of 20yo Stanford-educated software engineers earn ~$100K/yr, work ~100hrs/wk, and build own careers expecting to earn far more every subsequent yr at whatever start-ups at which they choose to work, based upon their equity and eventual buyout by some BigTech or IPO

Many of those guys rent a rathole in PaloAlto and sleep in a cube in a SiliconValley office park for several yrs until they earn enough to semi-retire to the casual SF lifestyle, allowing a fast daily drive in some fast new car down to PaloAlto office corridor

But wouldn't be surprised if many baristas and other commies in SF are Stanford/Harvard/Berkeley English majors with affluent parents in suburban CA/NYC to finance their "travels" to nowhere

After all, SF is arguably 40% cheaper than Manhattan, so it's damn cheap in comparison w/far better weather, topography and fresh produce...yet similar economic opportunities for highly educated <30yo workaholics

Old 11-07-2010, 11:43 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Quality of life is in the eye of the beholder. I recently had to pick out a new place, and to me QOL meant a convenient location, a private, modern apartment, and amenities, so I chose a complex in south San Jose. If it meant being in the middle of all the action and living the hipster life, then I would have accepted a lot less for my $1500 a month to live in San Francisco.
I grew up in South San Jose by 85 and Blossom Hill Rd.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:45 AM

What about buying a house in SF? They are around $1 Million.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:53 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What about buying a house in SF? They are around $1 Million.
Most people in a city don't live in a "house". You seem to be projecting a suburban perspective onto the urban environment (SFH, car, etc.). Life in San Francisco is not what you were used to in San Jose.

Keep in mind the $100,000 a year Silicon Valley workers also get bonuses and stock they can use to buy those $1 million homes after awhile.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 AM

264 posts, read 831,475 times
I echo the other responders...ROOMMATES. You must have roommates when you are just starting out. Even with a 60k+ income..it is wise to start out with roommates and SAVE your money for the type of lifestyle you want in the future. And no, you don't need to live in a sketchy area or rat-hole in order to get by here...even on $15 an hour but roommates are a must.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Most people in a city don't live in a "house". You seem to be projecting a suburban perspective onto the urban environment (SFH, car, etc.). Life in San Francisco is not what you were used to in San Jose.

Keep in mind the $100,000 a year Silicon Valley workers also get bonuses and stock they can use to buy those $1 million homes after awhile.
San Francisco is a city just like Los Angeles or San Jose.
San Jose is still Bay Area though, although I went to SF to have fun.

What about buying a house in SF? Some folks would like to buy those homes on Lombard St.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingRoomOnly View Post
I echo the other responders...ROOMMATES. You must have roommates when you are just starting out. Even with a 60k+ income..it is wise to start out with roommates and SAVE your money for the type of lifestyle you want in the future. And no, you don't need to live in a sketchy area or rat-hole in order to get by here...even on $15 an hour but roommates are a must.
What about someone who wants to retire with atleast $1 Million living SF? Early retirement? How about real estate investments? Stocks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland