Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:32 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Think he might get it this time? Somehow I don't think... What's so wrong with a person just admitting they were wrong and/or they mis-spoke? I don't get it.
Normally people do that. People who try to annoy the most people in the smallest amount of time possible with deliberately obtuse statements and thinly veiled or open insults, do not. These people thrive off of attention, even negative attention, so responding to them just feeds their sick compulsion. I don't understand why someone would troll a website that people go to for information, but there you have it. As long as those folks are continuously allowed here, threads will end up in weird tangents, like this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 02:11 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Yeah, it really is.

rockridge, oakland, ca - Google Maps

By that logic, Oakland is one giant suburb.
Oakland doesn't actually have a very lively, diverse, urban downtown, not in a sense like a New York, or a S.F. So in a way you're right.

The only difference is the quality of those neighborhoods which is generally very poor to barely livable cross 80% of the city.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The OP did not clarify his definition of "high class," so most people inferred "well-off" and not "old money." In order to prove your "intellectual superiority" you've decided the definition is exclusively old money neighborhoods, when the OP's requirement was a gated community.

So we are all incapable of discussing this topic with you because we didin't agree with your reading of the OPs question.
"Gated" communities can exist in lower class neighborhoods, and do.

There is a definition of "high class" that is in use, and it involves numerous variables involving culture, income, and history. I've been a real estate professional for over a decade who has served "high class clients" in many high class neighborhoods (Manhattan, Beverly Hills, etc) and those clients know the difference between "Rockridge" and "Bel Air". In fact, there's a good case to be made that Oakland doesn't have any true high class neighborhoods.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I agree, there is no "Bel Air" neighborhood in Oakland, but their are plenty of well-off ones. I can't think of a real "high-class" neighborhood in all of the East Bay based on your definition, but there are definitely high class people that live here. It didn't appear that the OP was looking for extremely exclusive high-end neighborhoods, just higher-end neighborhoods.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:36 PM

The OP was asking for "high class" neighborhoods in Oakland, and in the absence of any, the next closest thing. I am pointing out that places like Rockridge aren't considered high class neighborhoods, but are probably the next closest thing, at least when Oakland if concerned.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:37 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Rockridge is just the most well known nice neighborhood. People always forget about the other hills neighborhoods like Trestle Glen, Montclair, Crocker Highlands and the places way above Lakeshore (neighborhood unknown by me). Those areas have more classic architecture and nice homes and estates. At least by the classic definition.
http://blog.863katy.com/2010/05/perf...ighlands-home/

Everyone just fixates on Rockridge representing all that is nice in Oakland.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:39 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
The OP was asking for "high class" neighborhoods in Oakland, and in the absence of any, the next closest thing. I am pointing out that places like Rockridge aren't considered high class neighborhoods, but are probably the next closest thing, at least when Oakland if concerned.

Piedmont is functionally a high class neighborhood of Oakland despite not actually being part of Oakland. While its commercial district may technically be in Oakland, its only separated by arbitrary city borders. The average income is higher than in most other high class places.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:48 PM

81 posts, read 176,670 times
I would absolutely consider the Oakland Hills to be high class, but as I mentioned awhile back, the term high class is subjective. My opinion of high class apparently is not the same as Mr. Fantastic. People measure high class differently, and people draw the line on what they believe to be high class at a different point. Mr. Fantastic, you are entitled to your opinions but please do not claim them to be fact.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:11 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Rockridge is just the most well known nice neighborhood. People always forget about the other hills neighborhoods like Trestle Glen, Montclair, Crocker Highlands and the places way above Lakeshore (neighborhood unknown by me). Those areas have more classic architecture and nice homes and estates. At least by the classic definition.
Perfect 1920′s Crocker Highlands Home | The Game of Real Estate Trading

Everyone just fixates on Rockridge representing all that is nice in Oakland.
Montclair is also very well known in my experience.

If I had to rank neighborhoods by classiness overall, quite frankly I don't know which would be first as there are many strong contenders for different reasons and I think it would be among this lot:
Panoramic Hill
Claremont
Glen Highlands
Upper Rockridge
Piedmont Pines
Montclair
Skyline-Hillcrest Estates

A possible ranking based on my own subjective criteria-LOL
1 Claremont
2 Montclair
3 Skyline-Hillcrest Estates
4 Panoramic Hill
5 Glen Highlands
6 Upper Rockridge
7 Piedmont Pines

Old 11-16-2010, 06:22 PM

415 posts, read 1,666,178 times
Is this high class Oakland?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnWlTyZLQhQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland