Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2007, 03:11 PM

4 posts, read 13,332 times

Advertisements

I'd love to know just how competitive the job market is in SF, particularly in the design firm/ad agency/publishing business: brutal and overwhelming or just average?

I would be considered part of the Creative Department but I am a production artist, not a designer or art director. I've been doing it for about 13 years, and have mostly worked at ad agencies and publishing groups. I have no interest in being a designer or an art director. My talent lies in extreme attention to detail, not being creative-on-demand. I see quite a few production jobs listed on craigslist and on other job sites. I also see quite a few postings from Creative Circle and other placement agencies. I suppose my question is, if one were to apply for any of these jobs, would they be one of tens or one of hundreds of applicants? And would my out-of-town status put me in the "no" pile before they get past my address, even if I state that my move to SF is only contingent on a job offer and no relocation assistance is required?

On moving to SF:

I don't suppose there's a way to pre-qualify for a rental? In other words, present all your paperwork to one person who can then present you to prospective landlords as a sure thing.

And lets say you decide to pack yourself a U-Haul and drive to SF. This may seem like a ridiculous question, but where do you park it when you're ready to move your stuff into your apartment? I've done some Google Street Viewing of the area around a few apartment buildings and I can't figure it out beyond double-parking for as long as it takes to unload. Maybe it's just that simple.

Also, could a couple with no kids live decently in the city on a combined salary of about $110K? We've lost our niteclubbing tolerance and enjoy cooking at home, so there would not be a lot of going-out-to-eat-and-party expenses.

Any replies and general advice are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 03:15 PM
sjd

57 posts, read 217,305 times
yes, the ad ageny/publishing arena is tough out here. MY suggestion, if you have experience and a good personality, is that you hit up staffing firms that deal with companies in that arena. That is your best bet.

As far as moving and finding a rental, everytime you apply for an apartment, they are going to want to see or conduct a credit check ($20), and you are going to have to fill out an application for each place. If you go through a company that lists a lot of rentals, then they may have one on their books that might be perfect and you would only have to fill out one app. and pay one time for credit check.
If you don't need to live in the city, you may want to consider the East Bay because rents are lower, and schools are better, generally, and the commute is only ~35 min if you use BART, our commuting train.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:12 PM

7 posts, read 24,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd View Post
yes, the ad ageny/publishing arena is tough out here. MY suggestion, if you have experience and a good personality, is that you hit up staffing firms that deal with companies in that arena. That is your best bet.

Would you happen to know any good agencies for this field? I am also curious about the publishing industry in SF, preferably on the editorial side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland