Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:06 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times

Advertisements

Outer Richmond District of the City. Quietest place in the Bay Area. Quick ride into town on Muni.
I loved it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 08:26 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Outer Richmond District of the City. Quietest place in the Bay Area. Quick ride into town on Muni.
I loved it there.
I thought about recommending the Richmond, too, as we LOVED it there and think it's excellent for a family, BUT... I would hesitate about recommending it in this case because of the school situation. I don't know how it works for high school, admittedly, but for elementary school you can get sent practically anywhere in the city. That was a real negative for us. It would be frustrating to end up living in a neighborhood like the Richmond and then have to trek across town just to get to school. At least in somewhere like Alameda the high schools are good, they're going to be nearby, and, as far as I know, the attendance boundaries are firm so you know in advance what you're getting. I know Washington HS in the Richmond has a good reputation, but I don't think it's a sure thing that you can attend there even if you live in the neighborhood. I could be wrong, though, but that "diversity lottery" assignment thing is pretty complicated, and is, I believe, still in place. Since the OP doesn't have her heart set on living in the city, I think I'd personally still go for the ease of somewhere like Alameda (my personal favorite, and where we considered buying after it became clear that there was no way we could afford to purchase in the Richmond) or other convenient areas that have a less complicated school assignment system.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:39 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayDefector View Post
The entire SF/East Bay area is extremely family-antagonistic.

It is a haven for drug addicts, the homeless, drunken college kids, promiscuous people of all sexualities, but has an especially vocal and aggressive LGBT community who parade down the streets naked and have sex in the streets on any occasion they can. Classy is not a word I would use to describe the area. A young, impressionable 14 year old would not be served well by being exposed to that nasty culture.

That is crazy. My dad moved to the city when I was 14 and I loved it. He lived North Beach but I hung out in the Haight and never got into trouble while over there.

There are plenty of decent teens residing in SF.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:09 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Keep it nice, please. You can disagree with opinions, but personal attacks will be deleted.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:15 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Keep it nice, please. You can disagree with opinions, but personal attacks will be deleted.

Decent meaning they don't take drugs, limit booze to the usual house party once in a while, ended up at UC Berkeley and UCSF, UCLA, and SDSU and working for companies like Cisco, Google, and Nasa.

They ended up very well.

It is funny, but I heard worse things fro the kids from Escalon in the SJ Valley than the SF friends I had.

Lowell is one of the BEST schools.
Lowell High School (San Francisco) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland