U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 10:04 AM

75 posts, read 217,833 times

Advertisements

We are dropping off an old vehicle at an auto dismantler in San Leandro. The state pays $1000 for retiring cars that are still in running condition. We do not feel the car is safe to drive on the freeway so we are trying to use surface streets and back roads to get to our destination. (We are coming from Walnut Creek.) We know nothing about Niles Canyon Road except that it is a winding rural road that deer cross frequently. We are going early in the morning so black ice might be a concern. We are not overly cautious but the car is old and on its last legs. And yes, we have considered donating it, something we have done twice in the past. Thanks to anyone willing to share information about Niles Canyon Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 10:19 AM

7,667 posts, read 24,730,963 times
I don't see why you want to use 84 coming from Walnut Creek to San Leandro.. that would be way out of your way. I would take Crow Canyon Road and make my way through Castro Valley. It's a relatively straight, flat, and easy drive.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:25 AM

2,137 posts, read 4,423,533 times
I agree with sonarrat. Taking Niles Cnyn Rd. is nowhere near where you're trying to go. It's also not a place where you'd want to break down. I also agree that Crow Cnyn Rd. would be an easier, more direct route.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 AM

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, my husband said San Leandro when he meant the Newark/Fremont area, specifically Mowry Ave. That is why we considered taking Niles Canyon Road. But perhaps Crow Canyon Road would be a better choice, and then we would take Mission Blvd the rest of the way. Sorry for the confusion. So, given the choice between Niles Canyon and Crow Canyon Roads, which would be better? Thanks again for your help.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:57 AM

2,137 posts, read 4,423,533 times
In that case Niles Cnyn is definitely the most direct. Just take it easy. The road is very twisty and there aren't too many places to turn out. If you're going slow you will get tailgated. It's a very pretty drive though

Old 11-11-2010, 12:18 PM

25,631 posts, read 28,636,496 times
If it is not safe for the freeway it's not safe for surface streets. Do everyone a favor and have it towed. That whole area of the Sunol grade is a traffic nightmare and doesn't need any problems like an unsafe vehicle on the streets making matters worse.

Please have it towed.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:47 PM

7,667 posts, read 24,730,963 times
Crow Canyon Road to Mission is shorter, and I think probably less hilly. Otherwise you'll be tracking alongside 680 going over the Sunol Grade. There are lots of lights on Mission, but it would be faster if you should need an emergency tow..

Old 11-11-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
If it is not safe for the freeway it's not safe for surface streets. Do everyone a favor and have it towed. That whole area of the Sunol grade is a traffic nightmare and doesn't need any problems like an unsafe vehicle on the streets making matters worse.

Please have it towed.
I overstated the case when I said the car was on its last legs. It has been serviced regularly and is mechanically in good condition. We drive it several times a week. We just do not want to take it on the freeway because it is small and does not have airbags, not because it is in such bad shape that it might cause an accident. We have decided to donate the car rather than deal with getting it to a dismantler without going on the freeway. Thanks everyone for your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland