Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF the best city in the west?
Ya 21 53.85%
No 18 46.15%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 08:44 PM

301 posts, read 639,660 times

Advertisements

Its on my short list of cities I could live in; CA is a powerful state and I credit SF for leading CA to the future. I think S.D is pretty but needs to be more urban but nice city and I prefer not sharing opinions of L.A. So what do residents of SF Bay think. I am not asking b/c I am not moving but I want to see how SF Bay residents see their city to their state and region
Is SF the best city in the West?
If not then what does SF Bay lack or what is better in the West?

Old 11-12-2010, 09:39 PM

128 posts, read 141,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
I prefer not sharing opinions of L.A.
Why not? Is it because those opinions are based on abject ignorance and prejudice? Share away. I'd love to hear your opinions on what you THINK you know about Los Angeles.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
The OP has an unnatural and unhealthy obsession with SoCal. He is always bashing it on the city vs city board. Just ignore him. The mods are going to take care of him.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Its on my short list of cities I could live in; CA is a powerful state and I credit SF for leading CA to the future. I think S.D is pretty but needs to be more urban but nice city and I prefer not sharing opinions of L.A. So what do residents of SF Bay think. I am not asking b/c I am not moving but I want to see how SF Bay residents see their city to their state and region
Is SF the best city in the West?
If not then what does SF Bay lack or what is better in the West?
As a Bay Area native, I will say that SF is a great city. However, I wouldn't say it's the best in the west. What's "best" is a matter of opinion. Some absolutely love SF and SD and LA. Others absolutely hate those cities for one reason of another.

Back to SF, it has it's share of problems like any city does. However each city frequently has problems unique to it and SF definitely doesn't share some of it's issues with any other city. SD is blah but it's clean, safe and has great beaches and generally mellow people. LA is smoggy and not always the most attractive place except the skyline. But LA is dynamic, spectacular and highly energetic and never lacks in things to do. SF is dirty, often smells bad and crowded. But it's has a wonder skyline, lots of restaurants, beautiful architecture (in most areas) and great geography both within and around it.

I wouldn't say that SF "leads" Ca. Oakland, LA, SD, and a few other cities share in shaping Ca. and giving the state it's unique character.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:14 PM

81 posts, read 176,633 times
Uh oh, I sense angry and heated debate coming...

Personally, I feel that I can't choose one. As the poster above me pointed out, there are many great cities in the west that all offer something a bit different. That is not just limited to California either. Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles, and San Diego all contribute to making the West a great place to live.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:14 PM

44 posts, read 64,014 times
The City Limits of San Francisco is better than the City Limits of Los Angeles. However, the Greater Los Angeles Area, is better than the Greater San Francisco Area.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:24 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
As a Bay Area native, I will say that SF is a great city. However, I wouldn't say it's the best in the west. What's "best" is a matter of opinion. Some absolutely love SF and SD and LA. Others absolutely hate those cities for one reason of another.

Back to SF, it has it's share of problems like any city does. However each city frequently has problems unique to it and SF definitely doesn't share some of it's issues with any other city. SD is blah but it's clean, safe and has great beaches and generally mellow people. LA is smoggy and not always the most attractive place except the skyline. But LA is dynamic, spectacular and highly energetic and never lacks in things to do. SF is dirty, often smells bad and crowded. But it's has a wonder skyline, lots of restaurants, beautiful architecture (in most areas) and great geography both within and around it.

I wouldn't say that SF "leads" Ca. Oakland, LA, SD, and a few other cities share in shaping Ca. and giving the state it's unique character.
I appreciate you sticking up for SD and LA (which is rare coming from you) but you said San Diego is "blah". Actually I find it beautiful, serene, and tranquil, so what you said is very subjective.

Every city in California has a uniqueness of it's own, all are beautiful in their own ways.

San Diego

Los Angeles

Don't underestimate these two great cities.

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 11-12-2010 at 10:33 PM..

Old 11-12-2010, 11:06 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
I appreciate you sticking up for SD and LA (which is rare coming from you) but you said San Diego is "blah". Actually I find it beautiful, serene, and tranquil, so what you said is very subjective.

Every city in California has a uniqueness of it's own, all are beautiful in their own ways.
I thought you had me on ignore lol.

Anyway, I know it's subjective which is why I added
Quote:
What's "best" is a matter of opinion.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:27 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Its on my short list of cities I could live in; CA is a powerful state and I credit SF for leading CA to the future.
I think the credit should go to San Jose/Silicon Valley more so than SF in that respect.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:55 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,569 times
I agree with Sav858 that San Jose deserves it more than any city on the west coast because of Silicon Valley, and it has alot to off: nice downtown and Santana Row. Portland, Ore is also good. SF is nice, too but overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland