U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2010, 10:18 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,607,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Er, no.

I wouldnt go as far as to even rank Richmond worst in the Bay Area-let alone the world.

There are too many nice areas in Richmond for it to be the absolute worst.

Richmond/El Sobrante/San Pablo Neighborhoods by Average Household Income, 2008(Onboard LLC)
Carriage Hills North/ Countryside $124,738
Carriage Hills South/ Greenbriar/ El Sobrante Hills $100,944
Marina Bay $94,857
Point Richmond $91,081
May Valley $83,727
Hilltop Village $78,571
Pinole Waterfront $77,435
Hasford Heights $76,904
East Richmond $73,794
Tara Hills $72,527
Laurel Park $71,515
Hilltop Green $69,171
Santa Fe $68,125
Richmond Annex $65,253
Hilltop Bayview $62,867
Hilltop $59,612
Park Plaza $54,757
Belding Woods $49,720
Iron Triangle $49,641
Southwest Annex $48,758
Coronado $48,390
City Center $47,653
Eastshore $46,646
Parkview $46,119
Panhandle Annex $44,668
Metro Richmore Village $43,927
Pullman $43,140
Atchison Village $37,755
Cortez $37,338
Shields-Reid $36,358
Parchester Village $35,171
Forest Park $28,166

Even if we look at only Richmond city neighborhoods, many towns in the Bay Area don't have anything as charming as Point Richmond. Richmond actually has affluent neighborhoods.

Richmond has a mall with a Macy's, is the headquarters for a large regional bank(Mechanics Bank), a major area port, a major historical site with the shipyards, is a major outpost of Chevron, and Richmond has a gorgeous marina and waterfront.

No, I would say Richmond, like Oakland, actually has too much going for it to be the 'worst'

But that's just me.

In order to determine the worst, I mean the absolute worst, we'd have to consider things like the overall quality of the sum of the neighborhoods.

Is there any city that has NO decent neighborhoods? I don't know.
uh, when is the last time you were actually in richmond? richmond has like 2 nice areas, that place where they have the fireworks display (point richmond maybe) on the 4th of july and the little marina. both are as far away from the hood as possible. i have very stupid family members that live in the heart of richmond, you literally can't walk those neighborhood at night. he told me that he never stops at red lights or stop signs after dark. that city is a rotting turd nightmare full of hookers and drug dealers. no other city in the entire bay area makes me feel as unsafe and uncomfortable as richmond. of course every city has "nice areas".. but what city in the bay area is worse than richmond?
lol@ mentioning hilltop mall. i dont think you've been there bro. that's like claiming southland mall in hayward is one of the "pros" of the city. those are the 2 lamest most ghetto malls ive been to in my life. they have a wal mart there and no food court lol.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:36 PM

24,925 posts, read 31,755,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
uh, when is the last time you were actually in richmond? richmond has like 2 nice areas, that place where they have the fireworks display (point richmond maybe) on the 4th of july and the little marina.
No, there are hundreds of relatively new housing units that surround Hilltop mall now, including many large single-family homes right at the top of the Richmond parkway around the Richmond Country Club. That area isnt ghetto at all.

Also, East Richmond just above 80 in between San Pablo and El Cerrito is not bad either, its very middle class looking.

Also, if you drive on MacDonald or Barrett from 80 to before the Civic Center, that area isnt bad at all. It looks like a cross between Frick and Allendale in Oakland.

And you yourself mentioned Point Richmond, which is very charming, and the Richmond Marina, which is a large area as well.

Sure Richmond has many bad areas that a person must be cautious in, but in scouting the area, I have found plenty of better than decent ones too.

And it was a pleasant surprise.

Quote:
of course every city has "nice areas"..
I don't think any neighborhood in EPA would pass your test. Someone pointed out Marin City too.

Quote:
but what city in the bay area is worse than richmond?
Well, Richmond's murder rate is down about 50% in one year and that is very impressive. Is it Orinda? No, but its much better than it was. Still lot of work to do obviously.

Quote:
lol@ mentioning hilltop mall. i dont think you've been there bro. that's like claiming southland mall in hayward is one of the "pros" of the city.
I didnt say it was Union Square, but a city that is the 'worst' wouldn't have a Macy's, or the HQ of a regional bank, or thriving industry.

Just sayin.

Quote:
those are the 2 lamest most ghetto malls ive been to in my life. they have a wal mart there and no food court lol.
Well perhaps, but that still doesnt equate to worst in my book.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:56 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,584,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
We are happy to see 3 solid years of decline in crime across the board as well as in our homicide rate, which is down around 50% from just 3 years ago.

Furthermore, even with its crime rate, Oakland still is NOT the worst city in the Bay Area.
That's good. Especially the 50% drop in homicide rate. I would love to see the crime rate continue to decline.

I agree that Oakland isn't the worst city in the Bay Area. Richmond's stats usually show it as more dangerous, but I think Oakland's targeted more than Richmond because Oakland's more of a major city. Most people outside of CA probably haven't even heard of Richmond.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:07 AM

EPA's overrated as a "bad" city. it may be a dump but i dont think theres any places that are as bad as richmond's bad areas. i just really dislike richmond. and san pablo too.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
EPA's overrated as a "bad" city. it may be a dump but i dont think theres any places that are as bad as richmond's bad areas. i just really dislike richmond. and san pablo too.
I think we can agree that EPAs worst is much better than Richmond's worst. Richmond's best however is in a completely different league than any neighborhood in EPA, at least in my experience-obviously EPA is much smaller and is a pocket of affordability in a sea of extreme affluence.

All of these cities I suppose are an acquired taste.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:43 AM

142 posts, read 198,902 times
[quote=Nineties Flava;16709648]EPA has the area east of the Ikea Plaza. EPA is tiny anyway and its sole purpose is to be the working class workforce in the upper income cities that surround it. Same with North Fair Oaks which is technically its own city but is more commonly known as East Redwood City. However, despite this, it still has plenty of local restaurants and shops (Back-A-Yard Jamaican, Mi Pueblo, Best Buy, IKEA, etc) that still make it better than some cities in the bay area that have absolutely nothing.

The area east of the Ikea:

East Palo Alto - Google Maps

Man, I dont know about you but I would love to live in Marin City or EPA anyday, especilly if you got to own a home. Marin City is in a great location at an affortable price, 2pac lived there and your 10 minutes from the City. There are almost never no murders there ever and its a really a very community orientaed place, I love it. And East Palo Alto is getting very nice and very safe. And owning property in EPA would definetly be a pay off in 15 years.
I say the crappiest place in the Bay Area would probly be Richmond for its extreamly high murder and crime rate and high gang membership rate. Also its the site of Chevron and other oil refinearys that pollute the air and water in and around Richmond and poison its residents. Vallejo is also another crappy city and I would also say Vacaville and Gilroy.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:47 AM

gilroy isnt really bay area but i agree it's a real hell hole. even the outlets can't redeem that place.
i also hate hayward.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:13 AM

128 posts, read 43,124 times
Quote:
gilroy isnt really bay area but i agree it's a real hell hole. even the outlets can't redeem that place.
i also hate hayward.
I hate the entire SF/East Bay Area. Every single dirty stinking rotting piece of it.

Last edited by EastBayDefector; 11-19-2010 at 02:43 AM..

Old 11-19-2010, 09:34 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,901,277 times
[quote=goonzy;16710960]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
EPA has the area east of the Ikea Plaza. EPA is tiny anyway and its sole purpose is to be the working class workforce in the upper income cities that surround it. Same with North Fair Oaks which is technically its own city but is more commonly known as East Redwood City. However, despite this, it still has plenty of local restaurants and shops (Back-A-Yard Jamaican, Mi Pueblo, Best Buy, IKEA, etc) that still make it better than some cities in the bay area that have absolutely nothing.

The area east of the Ikea:

East Palo Alto - Google Maps

Man, I dont know about you but I would love to live in Marin City or EPA anyday, especilly if you got to own a home. Marin City is in a great location at an affortable price, 2pac lived there and your 10 minutes from the City. There are almost never no murders there ever and its a really a very community orientaed place, I love it. And East Palo Alto is getting very nice and very safe. And owning property in EPA would definetly be a pay off in 15 years.
I say the crappiest place in the Bay Area would probly be Richmond for its extreamly high murder and crime rate and high gang membership rate. Also its the site of Chevron and other oil refinearys that pollute the air and water in and around Richmond and poison its residents. Vallejo is also another crappy city and I would also say Vacaville and Gilroy.
People make a big deal out of Marin City, and yeah it's the armpit of Marin County, but on its worst day, it's still not as violent as Oakland.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:21 AM

Here is an interesting map of Richmond:

http://richmondconfidential.org/wp-c...ond4.jpg&w=620

Richmond like Oakand, has a split personality, LOL.

http://www.berkeleyheritage.com/imag...mond/beach.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1235/...fb1228da69.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1143/...5b3c186f43.jpg

http://www.rnarchitect.com/images/current%20projects/PtRichRearTwilight.jpg (broken link)
http://www.rnarchitect.com/images/current%20projects/PtRichRearTwilight.jpg (broken link)

http://www.richmondcc.com/custom/sit...age_PUBLIC.jpg

http://media.journalism.berkeley.edu...m/img_4365.jpg

http://www.berkeleyheritage.com/imag.../medstudio.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland