Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 02:05 PM

102 posts, read 170,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
The area between Redwood City and South SF inclusive is pretty miserable and boring
Don't be jealous because you can't afford to live there.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:53 AM

243 posts, read 467,420 times
I think, the problem is, that it is a bad idea to compare urban places, like Oakland and sprawls like San Jose, which is so big and has so convoluted history of annexations that it has no single "personality" to speak of.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:24 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
The area between Redwood City and South SF inclusive is pretty miserable and boring
I lived in Burlingame for a couple of years-it was a great town-self contained, awesome weather, nice library, nice downtown, I very much enjoyed it.

I lived in South San Francisco before that-SSF was an absolute pit-and the weather was the worst (foggy/cold)

Old 04-12-2013, 10:53 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
I lived in Burlingame for a couple of years-it was a great town-self contained, awesome weather, nice library, nice downtown, I very much enjoyed it.

I lived in South San Francisco before that-SSF was an absolute pit-and the weather was the worst (foggy/cold)
SSF is a little strange. I lived there for a couple of years on El Camino. The best part about it was the public transit. Second best was being able to keep the windows open 24/7 all year round and never need heat or a/c. But, the airplane noise was deafening.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:46 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkhd2 View Post
I think, the problem is, that it is a bad idea to compare urban places, like Oakland and sprawls like San Jose, which is so big and has so convoluted history of annexations that it has no single "personality" to speak of.
I guess I'm one of those soulless folks with no personality walking around.

Well, some of us prefers "no personality" neighborhoods over "flying bullets" neighborhoods...that's just the way it is. I'm not a very exciting person, so yah, the flying bullets life isn't for me

I like to be able to park at the red light after visiting my father in the hospital without getting shot in the head. It's not exciting at all, I understand.

I could whistle while waiting at the light, adds a bit of excitement to my "no personality" life

Old 04-12-2013, 01:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
I guess I'm one of those soulless folks with no personality walking around.

Well, some of us prefers "no personality" neighborhoods over "flying bullets" neighborhoods...that's just the way it is. I'm not a very exciting person, so yah, the flying bullets life isn't for me

I like to be able to park at the red light after visiting my father in the hospital without getting shot in the head. It's not exciting at all, I understand.

I could whistle while waiting at the light, adds a bit of excitement to my "no personality" life
That is is interesting. I don't like flying bullets either. I still manage to live in Oakland without experiencing "flying bullets."

I don't like San Jose, because I like areas that are more walkable. SJ doesn't have many areas that meets that criteria for me. I also think it does epitomize the "there is no there, there" thing pretty well. So it isn't my top choice in the Bay Area. But San Jose rates higher in appeal for me than most places in the US.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:52 PM

339 posts, read 516,023 times
This thread is covered with the bodies of slain straw-men.

Yes, SJ is more suburban, but -- and this is coming from someone who has no interest in living there -- it's not so bad, especially compared with many other cities across the country.

And, most people go about their daily lives in Oakland without getting shot.

Personally, I doubt I would find a reason to live outside of the SF/Oakland/Berkeley triangle, but there are a lot of other nice places in the Bay Area for people with different priorities than me (school systems and such).

Old 04-12-2013, 02:04 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,147 times
This thread, again???

Old 04-12-2013, 02:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Miserable? Really?
No, not really. I can't even recall what towns lie between RWC and SSF, but neither of those two struck me as particularly decrepit or oppressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkhd2 View Post
So, San Jose is more varied and dynamic? I am offended...

Old 04-12-2013, 02:20 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
San Jose just isn't everyone's cup of tea. I can see why people like it, but I am not one of them.

The worst Bay Area city? Hayward, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland