Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

The big hang up for me right now is groceries. Where is that pesky marketplace anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 04:32 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The big hang up for me right now is groceries. Where is that pesky marketplace anyway?
i agree that area needs a trader joes or whole foods to increase foot traffic.

uptown appears to have stolen JLS's thunder .....uptown has a nice urbanesque scene with pican ,ozumu,lukas,mua starbucks plum and good bart access
the trader joes on lakeshore with the farmers market really helped that area develop

Old 11-22-2010, 04:41 PM

312 posts, read 502,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
That's exactly right. Condo living is nice and all and there's certainly a benefit to not having to maintain certain parts of your property, but when you factor in the amount of money you're spending monthly on an HOA payment instead of either saving it or putting those same funds into a SFH via a mortgage payment, you're talking in the range of $180,000 over the course of 30-years in the case of some of these JLS residences.

My pipe dream is that the A's get the ballpark done in Oakland in the next 5 years and we really see what happens with JLS - I think JLS has the opportunity to be a really, really great place to live. We need more night life, more shopping, and more condos for better competition!
Yup, I think JLS will really get going if they do build that baseball stadium, much like SOMA in SF. JLS could be just as nice if not nicer than SOMA when you consider the views and weather and of course cost of living. By the way I heard they are going to build a Wholefoods where that Barnes and Noble is.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Land View Post
Yup, I think JLS will really get going if they do build that baseball stadium, much like SOMA in SF. JLS could be just as nice if not nicer than SOMA when you consider the views and weather and of course cost of living. By the way I heard they are going to build a Wholefoods where that Barnes and Noble is.
After going to WF Oakland this weekend and seeing waits 4 cars deep on all sides looking for parking....a new one makes sense.

But my #1 reason for not loving JLS is proximity to BART. But I wouldn't want to walk up the blocks to 12th or Lake Mrrritt at night by myself. Too dark and deserted.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:44 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,306 times
The A's should build the stadium on the waterfront parcel in Jack London Square. It only makes since for the economy there

Old 11-23-2010, 08:45 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Nice pics! Well I have forsaken Oakland for a bit and am visiting my family in South Florida. We just got back from a short trip to Key West, which was nice. VERY warm every day and very relaxing! Here's a pic of a quiet street which I took yesterday.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:38 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Nice pics! Well I have forsaken Oakland for a bit and am visiting my family in South Florida. We just got back from a short trip to Key West, which was nice. VERY warm every day and very relaxing! Here's a pic of a quiet street which I took yesterday.
I like that a lot. I was actually born in St. Petersburg, though I don't spend much time there anymore. When are you coming back to the Bay?

Old 11-24-2010, 01:23 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
But my #1 reason for not loving JLS is proximity to BART. But I wouldn't want to walk up the blocks to 12th or Lake Mrrritt at night by myself. Too dark and deserted.
i hope the oak to 9th street development will help that.
"the planned mix of residential and commercial development projects the plan calls for in the 64 acres along the water between Oak Street and 9th Avenue. Plans include 3,100 new homes, creation or improvement of 32 acres of public parks, an extension of the Bay Trail, and two new marinas with restaurants and retail"
Oak to 9th land development project approved – Oakland North : North Oakland News, Food, Art and Events

http://www.oakto9th.com/

Last edited by ssmaster; 11-24-2010 at 01:34 PM..

Old 11-24-2010, 01:30 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I like that a lot. I was actually born in St. Petersburg, though I don't spend much time there anymore. When are you coming back to the Bay?
Next week...not looking forward to the cold weather and rain. Oh well!

Old 11-24-2010, 01:32 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
JLS has a lot to offer and it caters to a different crowd from the one that frequents Uptown.

There is a ton of potential for both areas to co-exist and both be wildly successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland