U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2007, 06:14 PM

8 posts, read 83,084 times
Default Commuting from San Francisco to Redwood City

Hey everyone,

I currently live in San Jose. I am going to be starting a new job in Redwood City. This is going to be a 35 mile commute - probably too much for me to take. I will probably be looking to move - either buy a place up the peninsula to the Redwood City area, or maybe to South Beach in SF. Part of me really wants to live in SF.

My question is, does anyone else make this reverse commute from SF to Redwood City. What is this commute like? I would probably be commuting at 7 or so in the morning, and at 7 or so in the evening as well.

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 01:51 AM

17 posts, read 50,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiegler View Post
Hey everyone,

I currently live in San Jose. I am going to be starting a new job in Redwood City. This is going to be a 35 mile commute - probably too much for me to take. I will probably be looking to move - either buy a place up the peninsula to the Redwood City area, or maybe to South Beach in SF. Part of me really wants to live in SF.

My question is, does anyone else make this reverse commute from SF to Redwood City. What is this commute like? I would probably be commuting at 7 or so in the morning, and at 7 or so in the evening as well.

Scott
Hey Scott!

I no longer live in the Bay Area, but I lived there for 40 years. I just moved last year to Oregon.

I lived in San francisco and worked in Redwood City for 15 years. Plan on 45 - 1 hour commute easily.... I used to get work at 7PM in Redwood City and drive to meet friends in back home in SF. The traffic is a little lighter at 7 PM, but it would still take 45 min - 1.5 hours.

For housing try South San Francisco, San Bruno or Westlake (Daly City).

Old 07-11-2007, 10:41 AM

256 posts, read 969,989 times
if i were u id just move to redwood city or san carlos

Old 07-15-2007, 12:23 AM

14 posts, read 74,435 times
Default the train

I don't live there anymore, but for about 4 years I took the train from King St. station in SF to Redwood City and it was great. I had about an hour each way to relax, read, or whatever. I don't know what the fares or schedules are like these days, but there are also stops through milbrae and so on along the peninsula, if you are interested in moving somewhere along there.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:23 PM

59 posts, read 280,454 times
If you leave SF at about 9:50am and leave in Twin Peaks area so you take 280S to 101S, the commute is about 32 minutes. Coming back, it's best to leave around 4:30pm ot 7:15pm for a 32 or so minute commute. All this assumes you drive 80 miles per hour wherever possible.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:28 PM

879 posts, read 1,441,029 times
It would depend on where you're working in Redwood City, if in downtown, then the train takes 31 minutes from when using one of the Baby Bullet express trains , otherwise it is 40 minutes. If you're not near the train station you might have shuttle service from there, and that would take an additional 15 minutes.

If you are working in Redwood Shores which is were I work, then the train would take 26 minutes, and the shuttle about 15 minutes, for 41 minutes total. That is if you're taking the train, if driving I've seen the 101 get pretty bad sometimes, which is why I just live in Belmont.

The apartments and condos near 4th and King are expensive though, expect $2300-3000/month for a 1 bedroom in rent (A lot of the condos in the Beacon are for rent, see craigslist and other listings).

Old 07-21-2007, 11:20 AM

59 posts, read 280,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
The apartments and condos near 4th and King are expensive though, expect $2300-3000/month for a 1 bedroom in rent (A lot of the condos in the Beacon are for rent, see craigslist and other listings).
With parking I think it will be 2550 to 3250 a month for a one bedroom.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:20 PM

8 posts, read 83,084 times
Hey Cardinal,

thanks for the info. I actually work in Redwood Shores, too (across from EA). Would it be best to take the train to San Carlos station? Which shuttle would I take from there?

Thanks,
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
It would depend on where you're working in Redwood City, if in downtown, then the train takes 31 minutes from when using one of the Baby Bullet express trains , otherwise it is 40 minutes. If you're not near the train station you might have shuttle service from there, and that would take an additional 15 minutes.

If you are working in Redwood Shores which is were I work, then the train would take 26 minutes, and the shuttle about 15 minutes, for 41 minutes total. That is if you're taking the train, if driving I've seen the 101 get pretty bad sometimes, which is why I just live in Belmont.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:31 PM

879 posts, read 1,441,029 times
You should look carefully at the Caltrain site listing shuttles for San Mateo Co. caltrain.com - Shuttles in San Mateo County, and see which ones work for you, while some take a long time to get from the train to the employer other ones are more convenient, with careful planning it could be as little as 8 minutes, like some of the EA shuttles.

So there is the Redwood Shores (Bridge Park) Employer* Shuttle, and the Electronic Arts Employer* Shuttle from San Carlos, you might consider the other shuttles, but they may or may not be good.

The caltrain train schedule can be seen at: Caltrain timetable effective April 2, 2007, to get you an idea on travel time to San Carlos it takes 29 minutes in the morning and 35 minutes comming back, for Hillsdale it takes 26 minutes in the morning 27-32 comming back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland