U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:03 PM

3,871 posts, read 7,384,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Really? Well, ok. I know a couple of people from Moraga and they often complain in summer about how hot it is there. Are Lafayette and Orinda similar in climate or are they more like a hotter place like Walnut Creek?
Sure it's hot, but it's not anywhere near Sacramento hot. I'd speculate that Lamorinda is generally between Oakland and Concord temps. I lived in Sacramento for a few years and it's NOTHING like that. Lamorinda tends to get the morning and evening coolness, whereas Concord or even out in Pleasanton, the heat will remain into the late evening. I've only had a few icky hot days since living here...(and we don't even have an air conditioned house--fans are fine)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 AM

2,221 posts, read 3,349,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Sure it's hot, but it's not anywhere near Sacramento hot. I'd speculate that Lamorinda is generally between Oakland and Concord temps. I lived in Sacramento for a few years and it's NOTHING like that. Lamorinda tends to get the morning and evening coolness, whereas Concord or even out in Pleasanton, the heat will remain into the late evening. I've only had a few icky hot days since living here...(and we don't even have an air conditioned house--fans are fine)
Wait, I assume you have no A/C in Lamorinda, right? Not Concord? I grew up in WC and EVERYONE had A/C along the 680 corridor or you would be seriously miserable. I could see getting away without it in Lamorinda, especially if you get some shade and a nice cross breeze.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:08 AM

3,871 posts, read 7,384,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Wait, I assume you have no A/C in Lamorinda, right? Not Concord? I grew up in WC and EVERYONE had A/C along the 680 corridor or you would be seriously miserable. I could see getting away without it in Lamorinda, especially if you get some shade and a nice cross breeze.
Correct- we don't have AC (nor do any of my neighbors) here in Lamorinda. We just use fans to take the edge off during heat waves. I'm positive that you'd need AC in Concord/WC.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:34 PM

358 posts, read 915,592 times
If you want more of an urban, but still in a neighborhood style living, then go with Albany, Alameda, El Cerrito, Berkeley, Piedmont, and parts of Oakland. If you want suburbia, then trek through the Caldecot tunnel to places like Walnut Creek, Pleasanton, Moraga, Orinda, etc.

You can find good public schools in all of those areas (with the possible exception of high school in Oakland). Its really depends on the type of environment you are looking for.

Emeryville is not very kid or family friendly from what I have seen. Its more designed for young singles in their 20s and early 30s with no kids who like living in loft-style new construction apartments. That said, living there wouldn't be horrible for you, as you'd still be close to Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda, Albany, etc.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:25 PM

26 posts, read 96,001 times
Moraga's summer climate falls in between Berkeley/Oakland and Walnut Creek. If its 65 in Oakland, its usually 70 in Moraga, 72 - 75 in Lafayette, 80 in Walnut Creek & 85 in Concord. The farther east from the Bay, the hotter the temperature.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 13,723 times
Default @all, Thank you so much,

@ALL... Thank you so much for your reply and I really appreciate the effort...and i will be soon there ...we are still deciding soon...you all have fantastic happy holidays and Merry Christmas........Takecare...!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland