Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:24 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times

Advertisements

The Bay Area is the jewel of California and has tremendous influence on the state. Some may hate the Bay Area for its politics but it has been one region in the U.S. willing to do things differently, paving the way for new ideas and tolerance for those considered outcasts in other parts of the nation. Plus all the things a person can do in the Bay Area make it a very exciting place to visit or live. Los Angeles may be the largest city in California and has great influence also but San Fransisco is so unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 PM

943 posts, read 1,320,919 times
I have been living in the Bay Area for 26 years.

I have always loved living here -- it's got so many great features, from all the natural beauty to the great cultural attractions to the large number of highly intelligent people who live around here.

Over the course of my many years here I have gone from a very poor grad student to a highly paid professional. So I can tell how it is from both perspectives. The main thing is that as a poor person I always needed roomates to live in a decent area. Now that I make more, I no longer need roomates.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:38 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I've always been in the Bay Area and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I'm not sure I could even fit in anywhere else actually, which is the only downside of being born and raised here. Every place else just seems to LACK something that we take for granted.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 AM

312 posts, read 502,161 times
"I hate the bay area so much that I'm going to spend my entire internet days in a Bay Area forum trashing it!, Yes That makes plenty of sense, I don't even live in the bay area either!"

Old 12-06-2010, 10:32 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Land View Post
"I hate the bay area so much that I'm going to spend my entire internet days in a Bay Area forum trashing it!, Yes That makes plenty of sense, I don't even live in the bay area either!"

hahahaha! There's always at least a handful of 'fantastic' 'bay' posters dudes like that around here.

It's pretty sad, but then again, "you get what you pay for"

Old 12-06-2010, 10:34 AM

312 posts, read 502,161 times
lol, yeah they all rep each other too. The more rep points they get the more their trolling is allowed. Hey they may even get those gift certificates after awhile, it means the world to them.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:51 AM

239 posts, read 724,188 times
I have family there in the Bay Area I have never been there well at least not yet.

I just want to know whats your favorite train station in the Bay Area?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've always been in the Bay Area and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I'm not sure I could even fit in anywhere else actually, which is the only downside of being born and raised here. Every place else just seems to LACK something that we take for granted.
this statement rings true for me in so many ways. When I was there, I wanted out. I wanted to just live somewhere that wasn't what I'd always known and I did take where I lived for granted. Big mistake on my part. I live in San Diego which is a great city in it's own way. It's just not for me though. I've been here a long time and lived all over it. It just feels like there's something missing. Now if things would only work out the way I want them too.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:04 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
What San Diego does offer that elite places do not is a standard of living that is world class, but attainable to the masses. Yes, we hear people complaining about the high cost of living, but to be honest, there are many decent and relatively affordable spots in San Diego. Vista/San Marcos/Santee, etc may not have the best school systems in the state, but they are all decent places to live and raise a family while still being able to enjoy the other ammenities SD has to offer. I guess it all depends on what classifies as 'affordable'; if you are looking for sub 200k detached housing, then yes, SD is expensive. But high 300s-400k entry level housing is definitely still obtainable in these areas.

If you go to some place like the Bay Area, these average types of areas cost alot a whole lot more than SD. The only affordable places to live in the Bay Area are either 50 miles (Tracy, Stockton, Concord, etc.) from the nearest employment centers OR, they are areas that have been marginalized by crime and lack of lack of infrastructure, such as Hayward, Oakland (south of 580), etc.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:15 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
What San Diego does offer that elite places do not is a standard of living that is world class, but attainable to the masses. Yes, we hear people complaining about the high cost of living, but to be honest, there are many decent and relatively affordable spots in San Diego. Vista/San Marcos/Santee, etc may not have the best school systems in the state, but they are all decent places to live and raise a family while still being able to enjoy the other ammenities SD has to offer. I guess it all depends on what classifies as 'affordable'; if you are looking for sub 200k detached housing, then yes, SD is expensive. But high 300s-400k entry level housing is definitely still obtainable in these areas.

If you go to some place like the Bay Area, these average types of areas cost alot a whole lot more than SD. The only affordable places to live in the Bay Area are either 50 miles (Tracy, Stockton, Concord, etc.) from the nearest employment centers OR, they are areas that have been marginalized by crime and lack of lack of infrastructure, such as Hayward, Oakland (south of 580), etc.
I don't recall the OP asking about San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland