Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 04:43 PM

11 posts, read 14,035 times

Advertisements

I may soon land a federal job in San Bruno, and I'm having trouble finding a decent apartment. Everything I've turned up so far seems to fall into one of two categories: "hilariously unaffordable" or "rathole made of drug dealers and mildew." Granted, I've only been looking for a day or two, but I've yet to figure out where the non-rich, non-criminal residents of the Bay Area tend to live.

So basically, I'm hoping for a reasonably comfortable studio/one-bedroom place for no more than $1000/month, preferably within walking distance of a BART station, preferably in a neighborhood that offers the smallest possible chance of getting mugged. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 05:32 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Archstone apartments in San Bruno. Across the street from the Tanforan mall and a BART station. You might have to go over your $1000 limit. Unlike Mississippi, housing is EXPENSIVE in the Bay Area. You'll have to get use to it.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Archstone apartments in San Bruno.
Yeah, that was one of the first places I checked--doesn't seem feasible, not on a 30k/yr salary with student loans to pay. I've found a few places in Oakland for half the cost (and I'm okay with the long BART commute, by the way; this job comes with a monthly public transit benefit that'll cover it), but if the reviews I've read are to be believed, then a lot of those are of the "rathole" variety...

Old 12-04-2010, 05:53 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoriarty79 View Post
Yeah, that was one of the first places I checked--doesn't seem feasible, not on a 30k/yr salary with student loans to pay. I've found a few places in Oakland for half the cost (and I'm okay with the long BART commute, by the way; this job comes with a monthly public transit benefit that'll cover it), but if the reviews I've read are to be believed, then a lot of those are of the "rathole" variety...
San Francisco and the Bay Area usually pay really well to help offset the high cost of living. Don't move to San Bruno if your job offer is for $30k and you still have student loans...are you crazy!? It's a ridiculous amount for this area. What was your major? If it's too late to change your mind, use craigslist. If you want to live in a safe area for under $1,000/month, you'll need to rent a room from someone. This is really common, especially in San Francisco.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:57 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Are you having trouble finding work elsewhere? 30k is really, really low here in the Bay Area. I think you have to contemplate what you want out of my life in the next five years and what you want out of it further into the future. Plenty of people make it work on 30k and under even in the Bay Area but if anyone asks me, I always make sure to be very forthright - there isn't going to be much leftover. If your work is covering health coverage, etc, and you are interested in the experience - that's fine, but it isn't something that I'd deem to be sustainable.

Are you opposed to having a roommate to defer costs a bit? Renting a room can be a good option.

Fremont is along the BART and has some affordable apartment living. Hayward as well. Concord. You'll find that the East Bay is more affordable. Areas I'd tend to avoid more than others would include Richmond and Vallejo, parts of east Oakland.

Every city in the Bay, including Richmond, Vallejo, Hayward, etc, that is generally thought of in a harsher light still has areas that are nice and areas that are certainly safe (and affordable). It's important to come in to it all with an open mind. Most people in the forum will give very helpful advice (save for Mr. Fantastic who thinks everything outside of Marin County is uninhabitable)

Good luck. PM me if you need any more help or a future tour.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:50 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
Quote:
That doesn't sound right. May be why they're recruiting out of state - Bay Area folks wouldn't bite for that salary, especially with a degree (I'm assuming since you mentioned student loans).

Old 12-04-2010, 07:54 PM

422 posts, read 792,117 times
Quote:
Federal jobs paying 30k? That's like min wage for SF. No way you will be able to survive on that.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Are you having trouble finding work elsewhere? 30k is really, really low here in the Bay Area....
Well, here's some background info: I graduated in May of 2009 and this is as close as I've ever been to a full-time job, so it's either this or keep working as a part-time grocery store cashier for eight bucks an hour while endlessly deferring my loan payments and living with my mom. I think I can actually scrape by with this, in fact; I've long since gotten used to living cheap, I have no credit cards or any other debt, I get all my health care from the VA for essentially nothing, I can get a few thousand bucks for my car before I leave here, and my parents have already agreed to move me out and get me set up as a long-overdue graduation present. The job's with the National Archives, by the way; the plan is to spend a few years racking up experience, and then to start climbing the ladder.

...but yeah, I may see about finding roommates. And I hadn't checked Fremont or those other towns just yet. I'll look into those tonight.

EDIT: Oh, as for the 30k estimate? The range on the listing was something like 29,990-38k. I just assumed I'd be starting at the low end of the scale, but who knows, they may wind up offering more. (I wasn't sure if it'd be a breach of etiquette to ask about that during the interview.)

Old 12-04-2010, 09:59 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
OH MY. A southerner moving to the Liberal Capital of America. I've now seen it all.....

Old 12-04-2010, 11:09 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Since you are coming here not knowing anyone the best thing would be for you to rent a room somewhere. Good for your budget too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland