Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 05:09 AM

8 posts, read 7,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
October is usually a good time to visit, but it can be a little cold or sometimes we get a late heat wave and it gets to around 90F or hotter (I guess around 30C or more). November is a bit colder but not too bad. Around December it is usually colder and starts raining, outside of winter and early spring it rarely rains here.
The winters here can be cold, and it changes almost day by day because our weahter is influenced a lot by the north sea.

Most of our rain comes from low pressure systems coming from the Atlantic, some are even old hurricanes which can still be strong enough to give a lot of rain and wind.

If the wind blows from the east, we can even get pole like temperatures all the way from syberia (or however you spell it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Wall Sockets are generally 120 VAC @ 60hz
These will use type A (NEMA 1) or B (NEMA 5) sockets. Type A plugs (2 blade) will work in all while Type B (grounded) plugs will only work in newer outlets. By newer, I mean anything installed within the last 40 or 50 years.

220 VAC single phase outlets (also 60hz) are used primarily for large appliances and use a wide variety of plug types. Since you likely won't be bringing a washing machine, I wouldn't worry about the 220s.

Enjoy your trip!
Actually I was planning on bringing my tv, fridge and computer.
Dang it

Old 02-04-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Stefan you might want to learn using Google before you visit the bay area
Google? Sounds like some turkey thanksgiving distress signal

Yeah, google, duh

Ok. Now I know my laptop, phone and shaving device can all take 100-240 volts.
And my mother had this thing laying around :

So that's not gonna be a problem.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:00 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanC View Post
Actually I was planning on bringing my tv, fridge and computer.
Dang it
As odd as it may be, most of our high starting amp devices with AC motors, like fridges, run on 110/120. Just our way of keeping the status quo and ensuring the power company's profits stay up! 220 single is only used for large appliances with heating elements such as ovens, and clothes dryers.

Generally speaking, building codes only allow 220 3-phase in commercial/industrial buildings and never in residences. 3-phase is the most efficient but considering the number of folks with no knowledge of AC voltage willing to stick their hands in and explode themselves, there may be method to the madness.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:39 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanC View Post
Many people (including Dutch ones) think the country starts and ends with Amsterdam. But it doesn't.
Many people (including NorCal ones) think CA starts and ends with San Francisco. But it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland