Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:40 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Good lord...what's with the people that need to cut and paste the occasional crime incidents? It's a major city--crime happens. You'd find the same in just about every town. My aunts and uncles all still live in the Richmond District- all still alive and very well- nothing bad has happened to any of them (even on the other side of Geary). Even raised many children there who had to take buses alone w/o incident. All of my best friends still live out there and the Sunset- still alive- all with young children even!

I don't think crime is a huge concern for the majority of residents. Sure, if you're walking all alone at 3am in the morning or involved with crime to begin with then sure, you might be more "at risk". I think city life is just that- city life. Keep your wits about you and don't look like an easy target- I'd give the same advice to someone moving anywhere- even the suburbs.

Nowhere is immune from bored criminals. In fact, I've lived in many places over the years and have more or less touched by crime in every single place I've ever lived...luck of the draw. Shi* happens everywhere.
Crime is rampant and widespread in SF, including in 'so called' good neighborhoods. You are really understating the problem here. Everyone I know in SF has been a victim of some kind of crime or the other (mostly theft). This doesn't happen in every city. I guess growing up in SF has given you a very skewed perspective about what's 'safe'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Keep your wits about you and don't look like an easy target- I'd give the same advice to someone moving anywhere- even the suburbs.
Thats just cliche... Everyone looks like a victim! The problem is you have to watch your back all the time in SF and it can be stressful. You have to worry about criminals, dangerous drivers, filthy streets/people etc. pretty much all the time. I am more relaxed when walking (in good areas) but I am hyper-aware and in survival mode when I bike.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:58 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Thats just cliche... Everyone looks like a victim! The problem is you have to watch your back all the time in SF and it can be stressful. You have to worry about criminals, dangerous drivers, filthy streets/people etc. pretty much all the time. I am more relaxed when walking (in good areas) but I am hyper-aware and in survival mode when I bike.
Biking is a darn nerve wrecking thing in SF at times. Last time I was bmxing in the city I got ran off the road by a take out driver from one of those Chinese joints. He was probably in such a rush to get his food to its destination that I don't think I even registered on his radar. I wanted to kick that little suckers car, but I decided it wasnt a good idea, after all you never know what will happen in the city!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Biking is a darn nerve wrecking thing in SF at times. Last time I was bmxing in the city I got ran off the road by a take out driver from one of those Chinese joints. He was probably in such a rush to get his food to its destination that I don't think I even registered on his radar. I wanted to kick that little suckers car, but I decided it wasnt a good idea, after all you never know what will happen in the city!
The delivery drivers, cabbies are the worst offenders but too many drivers like to stop on the bike lane, cut off cyclists or make a turn in front of them...and then act like as if its the cyclists fault! There are just way too many angry people around and they are just itching for venting it on the road. I drive and bike both and I do both with great care and civility. Then there are obnoxious and clueless pedestrians that like walking right in the middle of the bike path with dogs and block the whole path. These idiots think they are entitled to all public places just for themselves. I bet its the same people who never clean up after their pets.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:40 PM

Police: Geary red-light runner caused fatal crash

There you go...traffic nightmare in the Richmond district. Idiot driving the Audi thinks he owns the city...Classic SF elite I suppose!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
Quote:
The delivery drivers, cabbies are the worst offenders but too many drivers like to stop on the bike lane, cut off cyclists or make a turn in front of them...and then act like as if its the cyclists fault! There are just way too many angry people around and they are just itching for venting it on the road. I drive and bike both and I do both with great care and civility. Then there are obnoxious and clueless pedestrians that like walking right in the middle of the bike path with dogs and block the whole path. These idiots think they are entitled to all public places just for themselves. I bet its the same people who never clean up after their pets.
Agreed. I've been bmxing since the mid 90's so I am used to it I guess. When you bmx you gotta watch out for cops, bums, ne'er do wells, cars, so it just kind of helps your sense of alertness and street smarts. I've had some pretty shady encounters in the bay while biking. SF is the worst because its the only part of the bay where the drivers are really aggro like they are in LA. Also I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT PEOPLE WALKING DOGS ON THE PATHS, what the heck is up with that?!

Old 02-11-2011, 02:10 AM

8 posts, read 12,355 times
Crime in the richmond district? Except for the occasional drunk staggering home from a bus stop, no way.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:29 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,648 times
Quote:
Crime is rampant and widespread in SF, including in 'so called' good neighborhoods. You are really understating the problem here. Everyone I know in SF has been a victim of some kind of crime or the other (mostly theft). This doesn't happen in every city. I guess growing up in SF has given you a very skewed perspective about what's 'safe'.
Been here the majority of my life (35 years) and have never been mugged/robbed/burglarized/whatever. I've have a couple of female cousins who've either had a car stolen or purse snatched, but that's about it as far as my extended family goes. I live in Parkside (southern part of the The Sunset). The west side of town is generally safe for neighborhoods in a large city. Definitely no worse than any other city of comparable size in this country.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:49 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,237,301 times
Quote:
Police: Geary red-light runner caused fatal crash

There you go...traffic nightmare in the Richmond district. Idiot driving the Audi thinks he owns the city...Classic SF elite I suppose!
the idiot was from Walnut Creek, not SF.

Victim identified, suspect booked in fatal Geary Boulevard crash | Mike Aldax | Crime | San Francisco Examiner

Old 02-11-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I guess the Walnut Creek dude was partying in Marina and then got lost on his way back! The good news is SFPD arrested the driver, who will most likely get away with few hundred $ of fine for red light violation. But I am impressed that SFPD actually was able to arrest someone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland