Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 08:05 PM

20 posts, read 85,634 times

Advertisements

I'm saving up money to take my family to San Francisco again.

What are the nicest parts, or areas of that city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:10 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Golden Gate Park, Nob Hill, Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, California Street Financial District.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Depends on what you mean by nicest.

Wealthy areas:

Seacliff
Pacific Heights
Russian Hill
Ashbury Heights
Twin Peaks
The Marina

Nice areas that are more affordable and a bit less ridiculously wealthy:

Noe Valley
Nob Hill
Hayes Valley
Lower Pacific Heights

Touristy areas:

Haight-Ashbury
North Beach
Fisherman's Wharf
Union Square
Golden Gate Park

Areas and places that aren't quite as typical tourist areas but are fun to visit:

The Mission/Dolores Park
The Castro
Lincoln Park/Ocean Beach
Telegraph Hill
Japantown Mall

Areas that are decent to live in but off the usual tourist path:

Inner Sunset
Inner Richmond
West Portal
Bernal Heights
Glen Park

Old 02-13-2011, 09:11 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,810 times
I don't really understand what the appeal of Nob Hill or Russian Hill is. Both of these are very densely populated with old (and sometimes run-down) buildings and super steep streets which make walking and carrying stuff more complicated. They are also very residential and you have to go out of the neighborhood for shops and restaurants. Its also swarmed with tourists a lot of time.

They have some nice views but many neighborhoods in SF have even nicer views like Pacific Heights, Ashbury Heights, Twin Peaks, Noe Valley...

Am I missing something?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:14 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I don't really understand what the appeal of Nob Hill or Russian Hill is.
For Nob Hill it's probably the cable cars combined with the three nice hotels there, The Mark Hopkins, Stanford Court and Fairmont.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:26 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
For Nob Hill it's probably the cable cars combined with the three nice hotels there, The Mark Hopkins, Stanford Court and Fairmont.
Yes there are tourist stuff for sure but I was talking more in terms of living there. To me it seems like a pretty inconvenient place to live! Also just by looks they don't look upscale at all although they have that reputation. In fact I think the NE quadrant of SF, surrounded by Van Ness, Market and the bay are the most touristy and most inconvenient part of SF in terms of living. Also they have a lot of homeless and criminal elements and VERY high population density.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:00 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
I don't think anyone needs to explain to you why anyone other than you likes anything, andy.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:20 PM

292 posts, read 1,244,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
They are also very residential and you have to go out of the neighborhood for shops and restaurants.
*cranes head out window to see the vast number of restaurants and shops that populate Polk Street*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland