Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,878,435 times

Advertisements

Daughter will be attending school at 150 Oak St. in San Francisco and we are looking for a good (safe) neighborhood to live in nearby. Would prefer to live as close as possible or at least within a few miles away. What would be your recommendations for areas nearby this highschool? Parks are a plus!

As far as safety, Lone Mountain, Parkside, Pac Heights, Castro? Areas that it would be okay for a teen to walk/commute from on occasion.

150 oak st san francisco ca - Google Maps

Last edited by Davachka; 02-16-2011 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 11:14 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,032,309 times
Hayes Valley (where the school is)
Lower Pacific Heights
Pacific Heights
Duboce Triangle
Panhandle area
Lower Haight
Nob Hill
Mission/Castro area, like around Church and Market

Old 02-16-2011, 11:27 AM

Thanks you are always very helpful. I am glad to hear Hayes is a good area. I was unsure if Lower Haight or Mission was safe? I understand no area is completely free of crime and it can happen anywhere but specifically looking for areas where she might be able to walk/commute to and from school by herself on occasion, where I don't have to worry too much if I park a luxury car outside (though plan on having garage), not too concerned if husband is out of town for a few days, etc. Certain areas feel that way to me, but they are a bit far imo such as Marina. But Richmond seems to be a contender from the other thread, possibly too far though, but SeaCliff is def too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Hayes Valley (where the school is)
Lower Pacific Heights
Pacific Heights
Duboce Triangle
Panhandle area
Lower Haight
Nob Hill
Mission/Castro area, like around Church and Market

Old 02-16-2011, 11:42 AM

The Inner Richmond would be somewhat of a drive especially with morning traffic.

Hayes Valley is alright, but there are some housing projects just north of it but they don't seem to cause a lot of crime in Hayes Valley itself. I lived there for over 2 years and it felt safer than a lot of other parts of the city. It's not a great neighborhood though, it's small and it feels a bit isolated from other more vibrant areas, and there's a lot of noisy traffic because almost all the streets are one-way streets that feed into the bridges and highways.

A lot of the Mission is grubby and crime-ridden but the area around Church and Market (basically where Duboce Triangle, the Castro and the Mission meet) is pretty nice with a lot of good restaurants, and Dolores Park is nearby.

Lower Haight I'm not super familiar with in terms of crime but it's pretty close to Hayes Valley. It is a little scruffy though and I bet it attracts some drug-related crime, and there are projects nearby. Ashbury Heights is just south of the Upper Haight and is hilly and has a lot of really nice big homes.

Could look at Pacific Heights or Nob Hill and send her on the Van Ness bus to Market then it's a couple blocks walk to the school, if she's old enough to do that.

As for parking a "luxury car" on the street, that will be at risk pretty much anywhere in SF.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:37 PM

Near Dolores Park/Castro would be nice, will definitely look at that area and yes Pac Heights is on our list. Will look up Ashbury Heights since you mentioned, it seems that is interchangeable with Cole Valley, which I had forgotten about, but might be a good option as well for us. I like some parts of parkside/inner sunset and maybe thats not as bad a hike as inner richmond or lone mountain.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:21 PM

I'm not too familar with Ashbury Heights but from what I've seen is it's on a very steep hill and has a lot of big fancy old homes--actually a lot of steep hills in SF are like this and have a lot of big fancy old homes that look like you're in Pacific Heights, there's a section along Church and Sanchez at the top of a hill between Dolores Park and Noe Valley that is like this.

Cole Valley might be a good alternative since it's less ritzy than Ashbury Heights, not as scruffy and grimy and crowded as the Haight, and it's centered around a kind of flat area. I think it does get some foggy and chilly weather though since it's next to the Sunset. Pac Hts, Hayes Valley, the Castro/Duboce area and Noe Valley should be sunnier, though I find it's windier north of Market than South of Market which makes it feel chillier even though it's sunnier than the Sunset. Hayes Valley always seemed super windy to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland