Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 03:29 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Family and friends or just people of the same ethnic group have social groups awaiting their arrival. They let people know where to get food from, places to stay, etc.
As far as I can tell, no one is stopping the native-born from helping each other or forming social groups or getting help from family members ...
Last I heard, friendship and family bond are not undesirable qualities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 03:32 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,318 times
Andy, who said they were? It doesn't look like we can communicate. Are you one of these people who spend way too much time on these blogs and want to disagree to disagree?

Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
And what makes you think that the experience of your husband or relatives are representative of the general trend? Family based immigration is only a part of the vast number of ways people immigrate to the US. Many people immigrate through employment or as refugees.
It's not necessarily what I think, Andy. It's from personal experience and from being actually born/raised in the Bay Area and personally knowing an awful lot of people born outside the US.

My husband and many of his other classmates from "back home" all emigrated at around the same time. There was a huge network of folk all living in San Francisco as immigrants--a huge "ready made" community of other like minded hard working, very eager folk--and weren't there to compete with newcomers, but help. A concept/cultural difference that is often missed or not "normal" to many Americans is allowing friends/relatives to live with you and feed you when you're getting started.

I cannot speak for Texas or what goes on in any other state, but many immigrants here have some knowledge and help from their extended families and communities of same cultural identity. Have you considered that there's a genuine reason why there's a huge Indian community in say, Fremont? Or the Sunset District is/has a large Irish population? Or how about the Mission? Do you think they all just happened upon an area after getting off the plane based on income/weather/walkability scores? No, they settled there because they initially knew someone.

My husband actually does the hiring for his company (he actually got his professional "leg up" during the whole tech boom from a friend from back home that was also an emigrant). Only ONE person in his entire department was actually born in the US, so I do have some knowledge. Most are personal friends of ours as well. I don't know anyone that came over with 5 bucks in their pocket not knowing a soul--this isn't the 1800's where that scenario was played out over and over again.

I know you just like to fight for fighting's sake- like a Sarah Palin of the message boards- just ready to pounce on on whatever opposite opinion I have- purely for the sake of it for lack of any profound or intelligent logic.

Sorry to the OP for all the off topic stuff, btw.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:18 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Andy, who said they were? It doesn't look like we can communicate. Are you one of these people who spend way too much time on these blogs and want to disagree to disagree?
You nailed it. It's exactly what it is. He'll argue even he agrees or says the exact same thing.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
You nailed it. It's exactly what it is. He'll argue even he agrees or says the exact same thing.
yup

Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
We did it, back in 1984.... BUT -- our friends came out first. They had money from selling their business. Money gives you options. They stayed in a hotel for a few weeks until they got into their rental and had their stuff delivered the same day as their agreement started.

And then they invited their poor friends who needed a hand up out -- us, and few others.

AND -- there were jobs to be had.

But coming here right now, with no support system and hardly any cash? Maybe I am old, but that sounds foolhardy.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:34 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerfield View Post
I've become increasingly frustrated with the SF forums here...every optimistic twenty-something who comes through here with less than 5K is told they will starve to death in San Francisco. I am one of those prospective twenty-somethings who has been told to move to Austin or Chicago by every single person over 30 because SF is "way too expensive." My younger friends have told me that I will be absolutely fine. There are plenty of young people who have jobs in bakeries or bookshops in SF....how would it be IMPOSSIBLE for a college educated person with small job experience to survive in your city? I'd give my left arm to live in San Francisco and have since I was 18...I hate that every day I think "Well, maybe I'll live for a few months in another city and save up money [for a long period of time] to move to California."

Positivity in this thread is welcome and encouraged.
People are just trying to be realistic. Go ahead and ignore them, but they've probably all seen people who DO assume that they'll waltz right in and be living a dream lifestyle in no time. No, of course it's not impossible, but it can take some time to find a decent job, and compared to other cities you may well have to give up a lot just to survive. Might as well come in prepared to work hard and realizing that you might have to live a very frugal lifestyle for some time (and then be pleasantly surprised if things turn out great), rather than expecting things to be smooth sailing and then be bitter and depressed. Are your friends already living in SF? Can you stay with them for some time while you look for places or try to get roommates of your own? Having an established network will make things that much easier (and cheaper!).

Old 02-24-2011, 03:13 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Y'know, one thing I didn't mention is that, especially when the job market is good here, a big urban area like the Bay Area is a much better place to get an entry-level job than some middle of nowhere place like Iowa or Florida or whatever, there's just more businesses here. Problem is that the job market here has been bad for a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland