Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 03:04 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times

Advertisements

I do the casual carpool to get to work in the morning and as you go on the highway towards the Bay Bridge you pass all the shops in Emeryville. Recently I thought I saw a Target sign where the signs for Ikea, Babies-R-Us are, etc. But I'm looking on the Target website and on google and not seeing anything about a Target in Emeryville...what the heck? Was I seeing things? I've seen the sign several times...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 03:07 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
It opens next month. Technically, it's in Oakland, not Emeryville

Old 02-20-2011, 05:52 PM

Where is it going to be?

Old 02-20-2011, 05:54 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Yup its in Oakland right across that overpass and train tracks from IKEA where the old Home Depot EXPO used to be. Across the parking lot from Best Buy.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:00 PM

We have a Target now in Alameda, Oakland, Albany, Richmond and Pinole...all along 80 in very close proximity to one another. Meanwhile we only have 1 Walmart along that same route.

Then on 880 heading south we have 2 Walmarts about 2 miles from each other and then again in San Leandro where the Target used to be.

I remember when I came back from Brazil in 1995 there was that huge Super K Mart that is now a Home Depot on High Street just west of 880.

This is all a bit fascinating for me since I remember the days when Oakland had nothing of the sort. When I left for college, that whole Emeryville Big box shopping area did not exist. It was a stack of shipping containers and tires.

LOL

Old 02-20-2011, 06:05 PM

Cool, that's pretty close to me. On the Target website I don't see any stores between the one in Albany and the one in San Leandro...not sure what you mean by ones in Alameda and Oakland unless their site is goofy.

There's a huge CVS near me which is pretty similar to a K-Mart but honestly it's not really as good as a Target, a lot of the stuff they sell is pretty chintzy. Target at least sells a good variety of brands whereas the CVS will have like one chintzy brand of stuff. Plus Targets these days are kept up really nicely--they didn't used to be. I used to work for one in the summer college I think around 1998, I made like $5.45 an hour, less than people at Wal-Mart made. Most people were people just out of high school, kids in college working during school breaks, and older women whose husbands had better jobs so the wife was just doing some menial work to earn a little extra money. So be nice to people working at Target, they're making really dirt pay.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Cool, that's pretty close to me. On the Target website I don't see any stores between the one in Albany and the one in San Leandro...not sure what you mean by ones in Alameda and Oakland unless their site is goofy.
oops ur right. I thiought there was a Target at South Shore Mall but I did a google and couldnt find it. LOL

Quote:
There's a huge CVS near me which is pretty similar to a K-Mart but honestly it's not really as good as a Target, a lot of the stuff they sell is pretty chintzy. Target at least sells a good variety of brands whereas the CVS will have like one chintzy brand of stuff. Plus Targets these days are kept up really nicely--they didn't used to be. I used to work for one in the summer college I think around 1998, I made like $5.45 an hour, less than people at Wal-Mart made. Most people were people just out of high school, kids in college working during school breaks, and older women whose husbands had better jobs so the wife was just doing some menial work to earn a little extra money. So be nice to people working at Target, they're making really dirt pay.
Ive never had a bad experience with workers at any Target.

I usually go to Albany.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Opening date planned for March 6th! Yay! No more 80 nightmare on the way home from Target in Albany.

Target reveals store opening dates - Inside Bay Area

Old 02-20-2011, 11:29 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Anyone knows if SF is getting the target it was supposed to get? A Target and a Walmart supercenter is badly needed in the city. We got a Lowe's home improvement store in the city and thats a big improvement!

Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 AM

99 posts, read 193,813 times
Target is suppose to go in at Metreon. I could never see a WAL-MART in SF. Where is this Target in Alameda?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland