Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 PM

32 posts, read 71,232 times

Advertisements

wow - I have hit the bay area information jackpot tonight. Thank you all - so much to think about. My husband would not be commuting to SF often; his daily work would be mostly in Sunol. He would occasionally work in the SF office, but if we found a home in an area we loved that was an hour commute from SF during rush hour, I think he would be okay with that. So far, it seems I should be looking at Willow Glen, Pleasanton, Albany, Alameda, and Sunol. Right? What is the commute like from Pleasanton to Sunol?

Not to complicate matters, but if we could triangulate between a quaint area that was not a bad commute to Sunol, and a town that's less than 45 minutes to downtown SF, and less then 45 minutes to the beach....where would I live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,028,685 times
Dublin/Pleasanton BART to downtown SF is listed as 45 minutes, but then you'd have to add on the time it takes from wherever you're living. Also they're building a new station, I think West Dublin. Some people here recommend Castro Valley but I don't know much about it. Walnut Creek is I think 35 minutes to downtown SF on BART but I bet driving from there down to Sunol would be a pain.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:18 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,594,662 times
I lived in the Outer Richmond District of the City of San Francisco and loved it. That's the Nortwest corner of the City out by the Ocean. I loved it there and rented a 2 bedroom for $2100 a month. I imagine you could rent a house around $3000. You can actually live there without a car, it is a throw back to living in the 1950s. Public transportation, butcher shops, produce markets, everything within walking distance. My wife and I loved it there

Old 02-22-2011, 09:38 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,109,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takingthePlunge View Post
wow - I have hit the bay area information jackpot tonight. Thank you all - so much to think about. My husband would not be commuting to SF often; his daily work would be mostly in Sunol. He would occasionally work in the SF office, but if we found a home in an area we loved that was an hour commute from SF during rush hour, I think he would be okay with that. So far, it seems I should be looking at Willow Glen, Pleasanton, Albany, Alameda, and Sunol. Right? What is the commute like from Pleasanton to Sunol?

Not to complicate matters, but if we could triangulate between a quaint area that was not a bad commute to Sunol, and a town that's less than 45 minutes to downtown SF, and less then 45 minutes to the beach....where would I live?

Pleasanton, Castro Valley, Dublin and Sunol all fit the 45 minutes to the beach/SF. The beach would be Half Moon Bay for the closest one (Crown Beach in Alameda is not a real beach since it is INSIDE the bay). Castro Valley does not have as quaint a downtown as Ptown and Sunol but it is on par with Dublin's. Good schools and decent houses with being close to SF helps. It is 15 miles to Sunol approximately and 25 minutes to SF.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:34 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,052,085 times
I wonder if you might like the Niles district of Fremont. That area has quaint down to a tee. It would be a short reverse commute to Sunol.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:53 PM

28,225 posts, read 36,694,357 times
Sunol is a few miles from Pleasanton. No more than 7.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:05 AM

What about Willow Glen in San Jose? Also, can anyone recommend good private schools (one for elementary and one high school) near Pleasanton?

Old 02-23-2011, 11:56 AM

13,570 posts, read 10,269,764 times
Willow Glen is a nice, homey, small-town neighborhood with lovely houses (though there are some McMansions built on fill-ins). However, it's a bit further away in terms of the commute, and the schools are only so-so. I'd suggest Pleasanton, which has really good public schools - no need to go private. You can also look in Fremont which is more convenient to other Bay Area communities than Pleasanton, and has pretty decent schools (depending on the neighborhood) but doesn't have much of a "quaint" factor given that it has no real downtown (it is composed of 4-5 small towns).

Old 02-23-2011, 12:03 PM

Thanks Silverkris. All signs seem to point to Pleasanton, at least on the east side of the Bay. Any suggestions for an affordable, quaint, family oriented-area on the west side of the bay (with a commute of less than 45 minutes to Sunol?)

Old 02-23-2011, 12:18 PM

I am trying to fine-tune my search and line up some homes to see for rent/purchase on our upcoming trip to the SF area. I've looked at a bunch of homes in Pleasanton, all nice, but none seem to be in a quaint neighborhood. I have found mostly typical suburban neighborhoods (again very nice, very livable) but nothing with the walkability or Arts and Crafts type homes we desire. Is there a particular section of town I should be narrowing in on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland