Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:32 PM

14,651 posts, read 14,572,886 times

Advertisements

I'm careful where I spend my money also. There are plenty of places to eat where cutting out one or two won't kill me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 12:53 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Isn't that conclusion just a little too nonsensical?
Let's see, Target has the same opinion on gay marriage that Chickfila does. So does that mean I need to go to Walmart instead? Well Walmart doesn't pay living wages, give out benefits and discriminates against their female employees....

I am sure proctor and gamble is am much to blame for the Wall Street meltdown as the bankers are. Does that mean I should stop buying toilet paper?

It is pretty much an endless cycle.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:20 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,549,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Let's see, Target has the same opinion on gay marriage that Chickfila does. So does that mean I need to go to Walmart instead?

Target does not have the same opinion on gay marriage as Chick-Fil-A so you can rest easy, a bit of Googling will help you find that out. Target gets a 100 on HRC's corporate equality index, whereas Chick-Fil-A gets a 0, they're on opposite sides on this.

Besides the fact that finding a Walmart in the Bay Area is a pain in the ass, driving from here to SF, there is only one, the one in Mountain View. There are some in the East Bay, East San Jose, and S. San Jose, but that is quite out of the way.

Target sells shirts to fundraise for a pro-gay marriage group
Target Selling Gay Marriage Greeting Cards For Couples

Old 07-21-2012, 02:33 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,215,902 times
Quote:
Let's see, Target has the same opinion on gay marriage that Chickfila does. So does that mean I need to go to Walmart instead? Well Walmart doesn't pay living wages, give out benefits and discriminates against their female employees....

I am sure proctor and gamble is am much to blame for the Wall Street meltdown as the bankers are. Does that mean I should stop buying toilet paper?

What I was getting at was if you really believe in a cause then you could do a little research yourself and not be so languid and anecdotal in your reasoning.

To draw a parallel: we're all going to die someday, why do anything? It's pointless.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Target does not have the same opinion on gay marriage as Chick-Fil-A so you can rest easy, a bit of Googling will help you find that out. Target gets a 100 on HRC's corporate equality index, whereas Chick-Fil-A gets a 0, they're on opposite sides on this.

Besides the fact that finding a Walmart in the Bay Area is a pain in the ass, driving from here to SF, there is only one, the one in Mountain View. There are some in the East Bay, East San Jose, and S. San Jose, but that is quite out of the way.

Target sells shirts to fundraise for a pro-gay marriage group
Target Selling Gay Marriage Greeting Cards For Couples
I meant Target's management team's personal opinions. Not how they act. They have also made similar comments.
The Anti-Gay Donations That Target Apologized For? They Never Stopped | The Awl

Target is doing the right thing since they have gay friendly policies, but their management team still sends their money to the anti-gay causes.

I am sure may=ny more organizations are doing the same thing.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 AM

Mountain View location is running into some roadblocks:

Quote:
Filleted: With the help of friends, a gay South Bay couple has at least temporarily blocked the very Christian-minded Chick-fil-A chicken chain from opening an outlet in Mountain View.
City bureaucrats had recently issued a routine zoning variance to allow a Chick-fil-A franchise to be built on busy El Camino Real.
But David Speakman and his husband, Richard, of Mountain View - who in 2008 became the first gay couple in Santa Clara County to marry - had a bone to pick.
They didn't like the company's reputation for being antigay. The Georgia-based chain's president did nothing to dispel that reputation recently when he defended "biblical principles," including traditional marriage.
So David Speakman made an Internet appeal for the $1,000 needed to bring a zoning challenge before the Mountain View City Council - and within 14 hours, more than enough money had rolled in from donors.
That put Chick-fil-A on ice at least until September. In a statement, the company reaffirmed its "biblically based principles" but said it treats everyone - gay or straight - equally and with respect.
"It could be Mother Teresa that owns it, and it would be a bad place," Speakman said, citing traffic and other concerns. "But because it was a bunch of bigots, it gave us an extra nudge."
Bay Area faces new high-speed rail costs - SFGate

Old 07-23-2012, 12:09 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,531,418 times
Quote:
Mountain View location is running into some roadblocks:

Bay Area faces new high-speed rail costs - SFGate
If people want to boycott Chick-Fil-A that's fine as it's their right but this couple shouldn't decide whether or not people get to make that decision. Ironic how they want to take away people's choice and basically make some people suffer because of what THEY believe. These activists are just as bad and sometimes worse than the people they protest/oppose many times and can be even more intolerant in ways. Chick-Fil-A's top brass may have this view I don't agree with but they don't treat their employees or customers any different.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:19 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,806,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If people want to boycott Chick-Fil-A that's fine as it's their right but this couple shouldn't decide whether or not people get to make that decision. Ironic how they want to take away people's choice and basically make some people suffer because of what THEY believe.
They're challenging a zoning decision, using the process approved by voters, and got donations from voters to do it.

Not sure anyone's going to "suffer" greatly if they don't get another another fast food place in town, especially one run by proud bigots.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,531,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
They're challenging a zoning decision, using the process approved by voters, and got donations from voters to do it.

Not sure anyone's going to "suffer" greatly if they don't get another another fast food place in town, especially one run by proud bigots.
What's your point about the means they are trying block Chick-fil-A from opening? We all know the reason they're doing it.

Have you tasted their chicken? The corporate office doesn't run individual stores, franchise owners do. So you want to punish small business owners and potential local employees because of what some big wigs in GA think? Again, let the free market decide whether or not these stores succeed and not a small group of activists trying to impose their beliefs on everyone else. Like I said, these types are no better than the people they protest. Don't like Chick-Fil-A then don't go to one, pretty simple huh?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:59 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,806,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What's your point about the means they are trying block Chick-fil-A from opening? We all know the reason they're doing it.

Have you tasted their chicken? The corporate office doesn't run individual stores, franchise owners do. So you want to punish small business owners and potential local employees because of what some big wigs in GA think? Again, let the free market decide whether or not these stores succeed and not a small group of activists trying to impose their beliefs on everyone else. Like I said, these types are no better than the people they protest. Don't like Chick-Fil-A then don't go to one, pretty simple huh?
Some people don't like bigots, and aren't interested in helping them fund their BS around here. The "small group of activists trying to impose their beliefs on everyone else" are those rich bigwigs, hiding behind the franchise owners and employees as cover for their spreading of their Neanderthal message on civil rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland