Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,559 times

Advertisements

I've been scanning these forums, and was looking for more updated information on the Oakland area.

I'll be moving to Oakland within a few months, and I'm looking to purchase a loft.

I seen some very nice lofts for sale near, Fruitvale, specifically 37th street, but I'm not sure how safe it is.

A few other nice lofts I found were on West Grand.

To give you some background, I'm a young woman in her 20's and I'll be working in San Francisco.

If you guys could provide some insight on good neighborhoods to live in, and if it could be relatively close to shops, and restaurants that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 10:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
There is a reason the lofts on West Grand are so cheap. The area is basically desolate, freeway on ramps and industrial. I'd pass on it unless you plan to wait for gentrification for the next 10 years. You are close to downtown, but that isn't a walk I'd like to do at any point during the day really.

The best lofts are Jack London Square or on Embarcadero, on the east side of Jack London Square. There is also an area called the Kennedy Tract that I have heard is pretty decent near the Alameda Bridges.

If neighborhood isn't really important to you (or driving is OK) you can look into the PAcific Cannery Lofts. That neighborhood is also up and coming, and it is pretty isolated from the rest of town by empty space and the freeway. Safer than the West Grand Lofts, but a bit further from stuff. (about 2 miles or so from downtown).

I do not like West Oakland BART, it is really dark at night and one of the more dangerous stations.

If you can get over having a loft, there are lots of good deals on new buildings in safe parts of Downtown Oakland.

I have no clue about the 37th Ave Area, but I think it is really really industrial.

You could look into Emeryville for lofts, not very walkable but the lofts are generally in OK neighborhoods. E-ville isn't very walkable.

Oakland is a great place to live, but not all loft-y neighborhoods are great. They either aren't that walkable or missing a majorly important amenity (ahem grocery store!). But all of the loft neighborhoods are generally a quick drive to the typical stuff you need.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:01 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Fruitvale is kind of eh...I think I know what lofts you mean, and they are cute. The Fruitvale BART station seems alright and it has some sort of a shopping/grocery center next to it. But the rest of the Fruitvale area is kind of a low rent Mexican area, lots of bodegas and taquerias, kind of grungy and like the Mission in SF but without the hipsters. The lofts I know of are in kind of a desolate industrial area, seems like it wouldn't be fun to go outside there at night.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:36 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilloug View Post
I've been scanning these forums, and was looking for more updated information on the Oakland area.

I'll be moving to Oakland within a few months, and I'm looking to purchase a loft.

I seen some very nice lofts for sale near, Fruitvale, specifically 37th street, but I'm not sure how safe it is.

A few other nice lofts I found were on West Grand.

To give you some background, I'm a young woman in her 20's and I'll be working in San Francisco.
It all depends on your personality and threshold for grit to be honest.

West Grand is okay around Telegraph(but you still need to excercise street smarts) but once you go to the other side of the 980 freeway, I would be against letting my sister in her 20s live there by herself to be honest. Since you work in the city, sometimes you'll be getting home and leaving for work when its dark--that's not good. There are a lot of shady characters around there, lots of criminal activity.

Its an area that is a work in progress, that still has a lot of progressing to do. If you were a dude, I might be less cautious, but your a girl-don't think Im being chauvanistic, Im just looking out for you.

As far as Fruitvale around 37th Avenue, MayorHaggar pretty much pegged that area to a T. But to be honest Id definitely prefer to live there than along West Grand West of 980. Its way more family oriented(albeit Mexican, Guatemalan and Salvadorean Families-LOL). That area is also known to have crime but is vibrant--mexican style. LOL

I would like to suggest the following neighborhoods for your consideration:
Cleveland Heights, Merritt, Adams Point, Temescal, Piedmont Avenue and possibly Rockridge depending on your budget.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:27 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times
jack london square if you really want a loft
the south end is closer to BART and the ferry is also an option

rockridge is a good choice

the lakeshore apartment district also has bart access

in the bay area cheap housing is rarely desirable

Old 03-02-2011, 12:29 PM

115 posts, read 567,930 times
To me, I would rather be in Fruitvale area than in the West Grand area. West Grand, one wrong turn and you might end up being in trouble. Fruitvale in some parts is a very working class area and not as scary if you make a wrong turn.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM

227 posts, read 538,477 times
I know a couple of people who've bought lofts in the Jack London Square area. If I were looking, that's where I'd look. Tis expensive though. I know that some hipster types have purchased lofts in Fruitvale, but I thought those were around San Lenadro Blvd. and Fruitvale, not in the International Blvd. area. Not so keen on much around International in general. Not sure where on West Grand the lofts are located, but the area is desolate if it's going toward the freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland