Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 01:38 AM

4 posts, read 8,733 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am moving to san francisco as i will be studying in uop.I am not familiar with the area ,It will be really nice if some can help with choice the area.I will be moving with my new born baby and my parents to help me with that.I am looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in safe neighborhood for my baby and family.My husband will commute be san jose. between sf and san bruno which is a nice place in terms of safe, weather ,commute and every other aspect one should look into.Also which all neighborhood in SF should i look for apartment or house to rent.thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 03:41 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
...what's your budget first?

Old 03-06-2011, 04:23 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentist2010 View Post
Hello everyone, I am moving to san francisco as i will be studying in uop.I am not familiar with the area ,It will be really nice if some can help with choice the area.I will be moving with my new born baby and my parents to help me with that.I am looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in safe neighborhood for my baby and family.My husband will commute be san jose. between sf and san bruno which is a nice place in terms of safe, weather ,commute and every other aspect one should look into.Also which all neighborhood in SF should i look for apartment or house to rent.thanks
I suggest looking in Union City or Fremont. It will be a shorter drive for your husband,you will get a nicer apartment for less money and you will have a convenient Bart connection into SF. The Bart takes 41 minuntes from Union City compared to 29 minutes from San Bruno to Embarcadero Station. However in Union City you also have a 2nd train to take and transfer at Bay Fair in addition to the Fremont to SF train.

Compare the drives:

Driving Directions from Union City, California to San Jose, California

Driving Directions from San Bruno, California to San Jose, California

Also from near Embarcadero Station you can take the #1 bus right to UOP.

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mmaps/documents/1-layer.pdf

Old 03-06-2011, 12:33 PM

thanks guys. my budget is between $1900-$2200.The problem i will face moving to east bay is bart timing.I will be 8 month pregnant when i start my school, also its an dental program that require long hrs till 7pm at night.bart to union city that late is not that frequent. my husband is thinking of taking caltrain because i think that will be better then driving. if we move to east bay both of us have to commute .we where thinking with little baby it will be nice if one of us commute is less.thats why i thought peninsula was the only option.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
my husband is thinking of taking caltrain because i think that will be better then driving.
That will work if his work location is near San Jose Caltrain or maybe a VTA train stop. However if it is not, the local San Jose buses are pretty slow due to the long distances they cover.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:18 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
^^ What he said. I did the commute from the Northern tip of San Francisco all the way to downtown San Jose for a couple of months. Caltrain is better in the sense that you can do other things while on the train...but it's really measurably faster than driving the 280 when you take it all into consideration (getting to / from the station, getting through the stops even on the baby bullet). He should expect around a 3 hour commute daily (1.5 there, 1.5 back). In order to split North / South commute times, you'd have to look at living somewhere around Belmont / Redwood City.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 AM

Thanks.I agree the you on commute to san jose will be 3hrs or may be even more on caltrain.I am looking for apartment at othr places also.we live in san jose.i have no idea about san francisco neighborhood.incase we look for places in sf which r the good safe neighborhoods for family in sf with a budget of $1900-$2100.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
i have no idea about san francisco neighborhood.incase we look for places in sf which r the good safe neighborhoods for family in sf with a budget of $1900-$2100.
The two neighborhoods for family and in your budget range are Sunset/Parkside and Richmond. Since you are living in SF to be closer to dental school Richmond is your best choice. In particular,the area of Richmond close to California St. and east of 32nd St. since this has the number 1 bus which delivers you directly to UOP Dental school.

In contrast if you live in Sunset you will take the N or L train to Church and transfer to the 22 bus to go to UOP. The 22 bus is slow and the neighborhood it goes through before it hits Japantown is not the best. You could also live in Inner Sunset and take the 44 bus to connect with the 1 bus however if you are coming back at night it is preferable not to have to transfer buses.

The problem with the Richmond area is that is gives your husband a very long drive to San Jose. For a more peaceful drive(not faster) than 19th Ave. your husband could try Great Highway to Skyline to 1 north to 280 south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland