Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:53 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
In regards to allergies, well everyone is going to be different, but I've had worse allergies since moving out here from the East. The problem I personally have is that there's almost always something blooming year-round. There are a lot of semi-tropical plants that grow out here that didn't grow back home. This time of year is bad for me because all the trees are blooming. Secondly, it stops raining in March or early April and it won't rain again until October. In that time everything- the grass, roads, ground... everything dries out to dust. Towards the middle of the summer there's a lot of dust in the air. Cars become dusty in a few days. My allergies go nuts at that time.

That said, after having been out here for 11 years I think I've acclimated to the different plant species because I seem to have allergies than I used to. Everyone is going to have a different reaction. It might be just fine for you. Its also a lot warmer out here and seldom gets below freezing.
Don't forget that Berkeley is adjacent to the Bay, so the humidity from the fog/mist helps damp down some of the pollen and dust, which may mitigate allergies. I lived in Berkeley as a student and grew up in Santa Clara County, and my allergies were worse in the San Jose area because it's a valley. Your reactions may vary depending on your sensitivities, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 11:57 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Ashby and Sacramento are also annoying. Northwest Berkeley can be a pain too, try taking the side streets up to 4th street. I think Cedar or Hearst, one of those forces an unwanted right turn around Sacramento. Oh and don't get me started on the nightmare that is the Gilman freeway exit!
Sounds like they've added a lot more since I've lived there. I remember if you were on Sacramento, there wasn't an issue between Alcatraz and Dwight. Between Dwight and University was a nightmare. Similar situations were on McGee with those same streets. So every side street is now blocked like that?

Old 03-08-2011, 02:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Sounds like they've added a lot more since I've lived there. I remember if you were on Sacramento, there wasn't an issue between Alcatraz and Dwight. Between Dwight and University was a nightmare. Similar situations were on McGee with those same streets. So every side street is now blocked like that?
It cracks me up, because Berkeley is "so close." One of my friends lives at Sacramento/University. On a good day it takes 15 minutes to get there on the Freeway. The streets are almost faster. In the time it takes to get to her house I could go to Alameda or San Leandro, even though it is only 5 mi from my place.

Between Alcatraz and Dwight on Sacramento is pretty good. Pretty much every side street between Sacramento and San Pablo is out for one reason or another. North of University is a out until you get to Cedar if you are heading west. The new Berkeley Bowl is wreaking havoc on that part of town on the surface streets.

Football game days are ridiculous. Walking from the stadium to Rockridge BART is faster than taking any surface street route.

The problem with Berkeley is nothing is actually close to the freeway (this is also true in Oakland), but at least in Oakland there are more entrances/on ramps unless you are way up in the hills. Berkeley, not so much, you are stuck on one heavily congested road the whole way there.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:10 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,169 times
I actually rode a bike a lot when I lived in Berkeley ( which is what I think they want you to do) but it was nerve-wracking. For a city that prides itself on being progressive I was surprised at how few bicycle lanes there were. Bicycling on any of the main streets was pretty bad. I seldom did it.

Going places where you needed a car- like to the grocery store- took forever. I remember one day heading to the closest grocery store. It was about 3 miles away. It took me over 30 minutes to get there.

Also- the freeway going alongside Berkeley is almost always jam- packed. Sometimes it took me 30-40 minutes just to go the 2 miles on that one stretch of freeway.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:33 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
It sounds like you'd like Berkeley and it would be a good fit for you. Berkeley has got a hippy vibe and it also is pretty dense and would remind you a little of NYC ( on a small scale.)

As for people, since it's got a major university you might find some amount of arrogance as somebody else said. You know that comes with the territory when there's a bunch of young people trying to make their stamp on the world.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
It cracks me up, because Berkeley is "so close." One of my friends lives at Sacramento/University. On a good day it takes 15 minutes to get there on the Freeway. The streets are almost faster. In the time it takes to get to her house I could go to Alameda or San Leandro, even though it is only 5 mi from my place.

Between Alcatraz and Dwight on Sacramento is pretty good. Pretty much every side street between Sacramento and San Pablo is out for one reason or another. North of University is a out until you get to Cedar if you are heading west. The new Berkeley Bowl is wreaking havoc on that part of town on the surface streets.

Football game days are ridiculous. Walking from the stadium to Rockridge BART is faster than taking any surface street route.

The problem with Berkeley is nothing is actually close to the freeway (this is also true in Oakland), but at least in Oakland there are more entrances/on ramps unless you are way up in the hills. Berkeley, not so much, you are stuck on one heavily congested road the whole way there.
haha not much has changed looks like. Berkeley has always been like that. It shuns stuff that might make it look like an actual city. In Oakland there are about 4 freeways in various places around the city. In Berkeley, there's only the Eastshore. The city never wanted freeway structures or any kind of structures. It's the reason BART dives underground at MLK and Adeline and remains there until out of the city. It's also in part why there are only two buildings of reasonable height in the city, right there on Center and Shattuck.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I actually rode a bike a lot when I lived in Berkeley ( which is what I think they want you to do) but it was nerve-wracking. For a city that prides itself on being progressive I was surprised at how few bicycle lanes there were. Bicycling on any of the main streets was pretty bad. I seldom did it.
Berkeley (and Oakland) have Bicycle boulevards where they encourage bicyclists. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that bicylusts got the memo. Basically quiet residential streets 1-2 blocks away from the main street have been designated as bike boulevards. <rant> Of course, I never see any bicyclists on those streets. They are always trying to ride up and down packed Telegraph, or College and complaining about the hazards of parked cars, buses and people opening their doors. </rant>

*** I am fine with sharing the road with bicyclists, as a pedestrian or a driver. As long as bikers don't try to straddle the fence of traffic rules. I.E. pretending to be a pedestrian on the sidewalks or running the traffic lights or signs because it is convenient. Or not using the bike lanes and riding 4 people tandem.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Berkeley (and Oakland) have Bicycle boulevards where they encourage bicyclists. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that bicylusts got the memo. Basically quiet residential streets 1-2 blocks away from the main street have been designated as bike boulevards. <rant> Of course, I never see any bicyclists on those streets. They are always trying to ride up and down packed Telegraph, or College and complaining about the hazards of parked cars, buses and people opening their doors. </rant>

*** I am fine with sharing the road with bicyclists, as a pedestrian or a driver. As long as bikers don't try to straddle the fence of traffic rules. I.E. pretending to be a pedestrian on the sidewalks or running the traffic lights or signs because it is convenient. Or not using the bike lanes and riding 4 people tandem.
Why any biker would risk their lives on a busy street in Berkeley is beyond me. It's the only city where double parking seems to be accepted LOL

Old 03-08-2011, 04:08 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,169 times
Well, the problem with the bike lanes is that they aren't practical for actual commuting. If you wanted to get from one end of the city to another it wasn't easy to do it on the bike lanes. That pretty much left University, Ashby, and other main streets. That was always sort of nerve-wracking because people double parked all up and down Ashby. Where I live now has full bike lanes from one end of town to another. Very nice.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:47 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
I've never minded biking in Berkeley and Oakland. The bike lanes are pretty useful and it's very nice that they're there, they make biking a lot less stressful, though even when you're on a busy multi-lane street without a bike lane, drivers will almost always give you a lot of space, unlike in SF where they will drive way too close to you and be aggressive. It's true though that the bike lanes seem pretty random in terms of which streets have them. Telegraph has one that is really useful but it cuts in and out here and there at weird points. Also you can always ride on the side streets which is a lot less stressful though it can be annoying if the cross traffic doesn't at least have a stop sign so you have to wait until traffic clears before you can cross the street. Shafter is a pretty good route through the Temescal and Rockridge because cross streets seem to at least have stop signs and it's a pretty quiet side street.

And if you see someone riding a bike on the sidewalk, tell them it's illegal if you can. It pissed me off when people would ride on the sidewalk and endanger anyone on foot when I lived in SF, I don't really see people do it nearly as often in the East Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland