Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,158,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LOL.

Yes I agree. Especially now that redistricting has been taken away from the Legislature.

Well, there is a very strong chance that San Joaquin County will combine with the Bay Area when the changes are announced, but you never know.

As far as valley growth, one result of so many Coastalites moving Inland is that the Inland has swung a little to the left...

Sacramento and Stockton are not politically in line with Bakersfield(with is a bit more red overall). Sure Placer and El Dorado are pretty conservative, but Sac and Yolo and lean blue these days.

California is not becoming more conservative, even though inland counties grew faster than the coast. This last election demonstrated that.
I don't think Sj will be merged with the bay.

This Presidential election is a poor metric for how people lean, sarah palin=ducacus.

Parties really mean nothing its about special interests. I'm hoping to see what we have in so cal , where other locales unite against the hegemon.

As far as placer county, we are growing, we are not going anywhere, we have one of the if not the lowest poverty rate out of all california counties, and high voter turn out. I am looking forward to the valleys increased politicalstregnth. Gotta watch more local access tv!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 09:47 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I don't think Sj will be merged with the bay.

This Presidential election is a poor metric for how people lean, sarah palin=ducacus.

Parties really mean nothing its about special interests. I'm hoping to see what we have in so cal , where other locales unite against the hegemon.

As far as placer county, we are growing, we are not going anywhere, we have one of the if not the lowest poverty rate out of all california counties, and high voter turn out. I am looking forward to the valleys increased politicalstregnth. Gotta watch more local access tv!
Yes, Placer County is definitely a thorn in our liberal backside.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Yes, Placer County is definitely a thorn in our liberal backside.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:34 AM

Excellent Map showing the Black exodus to suburbia.
Census: Blacks leaving urban core for East Bay suburbs - San Jose Mercury News

One huge note is that Blacks by and large and not fleeing Northern California, but from the inner Bay Area in favor of bigger homes in quieter suburban areas, just as Whites did decades ago.

Quote:
The change has been precipitous in the Bay Area's historically black cities: Oakland's and Richmond's black populations each dropped by 23 percent from 2000 to 2010. That means black people accounted for 35.7 percent of Oakland's population at the decade's start and 27.3 percent at its end; in Richmond, blacks went from being 36.1 percent to 25.9 percent of the city's population.

Elsewhere, Berkeley's black population decreased by 20 percent, San Francisco's by 19 percent, and East Palo Alto's by 31 percent.

Many people moved to the suburbs. Antioch, in Contra Costa County's eastern reaches, saw its black population double while nearby Brentwood's almost quintupled.

Manteca's black population more than doubled, Tracy's by 91 percent, Stockton's by 30 percent. And further inland, Sacramento suburbs such as Carmichael, Elk Grove and Roseville saw significant black population increases.

The reason for the flight to the suburbs?

"From what I've observed over the past 10 years, I think it's redevelopment and violence," said the Rev. Andre Shumake, the Richmond Improvement Association's president.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Excellent work rah.

Indeed that is very interesting. Its a trend that first began to manifest itself in 2005 when articles starting popping up about how Whites are growing in Oakland while Blacks are shrinking.
I'm not surprised about the white population of Oakland growing and the black population shrinking. More whites have discovered what Oakland has to offer and it is the most diverse California city. I wasn't expecting the Latino population of SF to shrink at all - if anything I expected it to grow more than it did - but the non-Latino white population shrinking was a surprise to me....

Old 03-14-2011, 01:57 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,073,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I'm not surprised about the white population of Oakland growing and the black population shrinking. More whites have discovered what Oakland has to offer and it is the most diverse California city. I wasn't expecting the Latino population of SF to shrink at all - if anything I expected it to grow more than it did - but the non-Latino white population shrinking was a surprise to me....
I wouldn't be super surprised...SF's only gotten more expensive to rent in during the two recessions we've had since 2000, and peoples' wages aren't going up especially with the current recession, and lots of people have been laid off. Meanwhile it's still difficult to find an apartment if you don't have a luxury-level budget, and even expensive apartments are small and can be crappy, and the city is noisy and dirty and can be smelly in parts. Meanwhile Oakland is around 20 minutes away and a 1br apartment can be $300 to $600 less a month compared to the same type of place in SF. Where I live, Rockridge, is cleaner, safer, and quieter than anywhere in SF that I'd consider living in, it's easier to park, it's easier to go shopping and go out to eat, the weather is better in summer (but a wee bit chillier in winter)...etc, etc. I'm glad I moved, SF was really starting to get on my nerves and I was getting priced out as well.

Yes SF has "that vibe," but I feel like I can relax in Rockridge.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:51 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,125,808 times
Quote:
LOL.

Well, there is a very strong chance that San Joaquin County will combine with the Bay Area when the changes are announced, but you never know..
That seems like a stretch.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
That seems like a stretch.
Well it all depends on whether or not San Joaquin sends 15% or more of its workers to the Bay Area. In 2000 it was around 13%...so we'll see in the coming year if the 15% threshold has been crossed in the which case the Stockton MSA becomes part of the Bay Area CSA.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:58 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,125,808 times
Quote:
Well it all depends on whether or not San Joaquin sends 15% or more of its workers to the Bay Area. In 2000 it was around 13%...so we'll see in the coming year if the 15% threshold has been crossed in the which case the Stockton MSA becomes part of the Bay Area CSA.
Stockton prob sends more to sacto. Why is 15% the magic number? Seems low.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Stockton prob sends more to sacto. Why is 15% the magic number? Seems low.
Actually quite a bit more people from SJ work in the Bay Area. In 2000 Stockton sent about 4% to Sacramento compared to 13% to the Bay Area.

15% is the number determined by the Office of Budget and Management(Executive Branch of the Federal Govt).

Its how Combined Statistical Areas(CSA) are formed. San Jose and San Francisco have between 15-24.99% commuter exchange. Once it reaches 25% then SF-Oakland and San Jose combine as a single MSA(Metro Area), until then we are still part of one CSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland