Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:00 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaffism View Post
yes...BUT what about the baking programs? I'm a foodie too, but I am interested in patisserie. I do not want to be on the food network, as the prospect of being on camera makes me queasy. Anyone know anyone who has been through school for this?
You really should check out the SF/California board/forum at egullet.org and chowhound.com if you want advice from someone in the food industry.

Check out this blog (in particular the comments):
Dessert First: Want to Go to Pastry School?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
For $50K you could take courses at community college and open a food truck with the same chance at success as attending CCA.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 AM

21 posts, read 34,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
For $50K you could take courses at community college and open a food truck with the same chance at success as attending CCA.
That is what I'm seeing. Apparently CCA used to be a very reputable culinary school, until they started accepting anyone that has a pulse, and is capable of getting a loan. And you're right...with a $50k and up price tag, a food truck looks waaaay more attractive.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:32 AM

I had a cupcake at cupkates truck over the weekend. It was awesome. She is trucking as she finds a space for her shop. There was a line. And it started raining....

Old 03-16-2011, 01:50 PM

21 posts, read 34,755 times
even in the rain I've never seen a cupcake that hasn't made me smile

Old 03-16-2011, 02:04 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
I think food trucks and carts are becoming the next big thing in SF. There's a curry truck that shows up at lunchtime near where I work and there's always a line of about 20 to 30 people. There's a creme brulee (!!!) cart nearby too. Anything trendy is always big here...some place called Sushirrito opened up recently and always has like 50 people in line down the block and around the corner. Most places don't get those kinds of lines but if you can get a following on Twitter or start something innovative you can do a lot of business.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I think food trucks and carts are becoming the next big thing in SF. There's a curry truck that shows up at lunchtime near where I work and there's always a line of about 20 to 30 people. There's a creme brulee (!!!) cart nearby too. Anything trendy is always big here...some place called Sushirrito opened up recently and always has like 50 people in line down the block and around the corner. Most places don't get those kinds of lines but if you can get a following on Twitter or start something innovative you can do a lot of business.
I like the curry truck (@curryupnow): they basically have indian burrittos, but it can be slow. They make rounds to SF and the Peninsula

The cremebrulee cart is also good (@cremebruleecart) they are tipically in SF only, but have made a few east bay appearances.

Emeryville office workers get most of the trucks because Oakland has some weird rules that basically say trucks are only ok in Fruitvale and they can't move around or something. It is really bizzare, so @cupkates goes to downtown Oakland about 1X a week. They also spend lots of time at 4th street in Berkeley.

Emeryville gets Liba's Falafel, Chariman Bao, Eat Localicious, Burger 510, and some sandwich place a couple times a week.

There is also the lumpiacart, a ramen truck, a chai tea/scones truck, a pie bike than hand delivers homemade pie, and bicycle coffee that are mostly in SF. (The Pie Bike, and Coffee Bike deliver to the East Bay: Oakland and Berkeley only, not up in the hills). The SF ones are mostly in the mission with ocassional stops in downtown SF.

@mayorhaggar: try out the curry truck if the line is reasonable, it was good! But when i worked on outskirts of fidi, it was difficult to fit in an hour lunch. You can pre-order online though, so you should stop if it is at your office.

to the OP: food trucks are booming around here. You need to check out the eat real festival in Oakland if you are here in August. The trucks come out in full force and there are demos on beer making, butchering, jam making all kinds of stuff. Kinda like a maker faire for food and eating sustainably. Also free admission, and cheap food (<$5)

Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I think food trucks and carts are becoming the next big thing in SF.
Well...more like the current, soon to be last, big thing.

There are regular food trucks and carts events in SF most days of the week call
Off The Grid.

They are imposing more rules on food trucks in SF because it's getting so popular.

Budding food entrepreneurs should check out
La Cocina and SF Underground Market.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:33 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Supposedly the rules on food trucks have been really stringent but they're relaxing them because so many food truck purveyors were getting slammed by fees and delays.

New SF food truck rules aim to ease vendor process - SFGate

Old 03-17-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Supposedly the rules on food trucks have been really stringent but they're relaxing them because so many food truck purveyors were getting slammed by fees and delays.

New SF food truck rules aim to ease vendor process - SFGate
It depends on where the food trucks park. It will be easier to park on private properties, but public spaces will now require public hearings. Some B&M restaurants aren't happy about the food trucks popularity.

There was incidents with Japacurry in SOMA in Feb. They went through the old process to get the right permits. But some local lunch spots made a big stink...

SF Foodie has been covering it. Picked up by WSJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland