Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:33 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times

Advertisements

LOL @ the insecurity of the OP

If you REALLY wanted to hang with the ivy league types, you'd think you'd be smart enough to Google or check out alumni associations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 11:11 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post

If you REALLY wanted to hang with the ivy league types, you'd think you'd be smart enough to Google or check out alumni associations
Yeah, that would be the easiest thing to do.

LOL.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
My neighbor went to Stanford...does that count? He hangs out at home mostly.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:23 PM

122 posts, read 587,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post

Really. Is there a way to Google this? Tell me, then. I don't know of a precise or definitive way to Google this, hence the original post. And not being a graduate of an Ivy League institution, I have no access to alumni associations, or otherwise I would have searched them.

I was looking to pinpoint in what neighborhoods and in what scenes the Ivy League graduates hang out and live -- trying to locate the more dense pockets on the city map so that I can know where to find them easily when I am in town. By “Ivy League,” I mean the highly educated, whether formally or informally; and, highly cultured, highly talented, and civilized crowd of Renaissance men and women. I was assuming that you all would infer the true nature of this request and that I am earnest in making this query. I figured the au fait of San Francisco would easily and gladly direct me, and not hurl ad hominem attacks and suddenly find certain questions to be not worth their time in this forum, and go to chastising me for not running time-consuming and complex internet searches on my own as opposed to seeking the quick and experienced advice of those in the know in the area. Guess I was wrong. Perhaps there aren't many au fait in San Francisco and/or perhaps they're not so amenable to such requests.

Now, 18Montclair did a terrific job of answering, initially, but then succumbed to the peer pressure of the idiotic peanut gallery, who, in their ensuing remarks took pot shots at Ivy League graduates and well educated people, deriding us as "elitists," treating us like lepers, and resorting to the usual Snide & Snark – you know, that brand of 21st century sarcasm wielded by the vulgar and the jealous. A hallmark which is tired, unpleasant, and long past witty in its effect. Montclair, in his second post, ended up laughing out loud at our ilk and siding with the masses. That’s a shame. I do appreciate his first post, which basically answered my question, in a general way at least. I think he’s better than what he exhibited in his second post -- I think the real Montclair was demonstrated in the first post.

18Montclair, if you're up for it, might you enlighten me as to which clubs, restaurants, bars, parks, and such these people hang out in in the neighborhoods you mentioned (The Marina, Pac Heights, Telegraph Hill, etc.)? Thank you.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:33 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laocoön View Post
Really. Is there a way to Google this? Tell me, then. I don't know of a precise or definitive way to Google this, hence the original post. And not being a graduate of an Ivy League institution, I have no access to alumni associations, or otherwise I would have searched them.

I was looking to pinpoint in what neighborhoods and in what scenes the Ivy League graduates hang out and live -- trying to locate the more dense pockets on the city map so that I can know where to find them easily when I am in town. By “Ivy League,” I mean the highly educated, whether formally or informally; and, highly cultured, highly talented, and civilized crowd of Renaissance men and women. I was assuming that you all would infer the true nature of this request and that I am earnest in making this query. I figured the au fait of San Francisco would easily and gladly direct me, and not hurl ad hominem attacks and suddenly find certain questions to be not worth their time in this forum, and go to chastising me for not running time-consuming and complex internet searches on my own as opposed to seeking the quick and experienced advice of those in the know in the area. Guess I was wrong. Perhaps there aren't many au fait in San Francisco and/or perhaps they're not so amenable to such requests.

Now, 18Montclair did a terrific job of answering, initially, but then succumbed to the peer pressure of the idiotic peanut gallery, who, in their ensuing remarks took pot shots at Ivy League graduates and well educated people, deriding us as "elitists," treating us like lepers, and resorting to the usual Snide & Snark – you know, that brand of 21st century sarcasm wielded by the vulgar and the jealous. A hallmark which is tired, unpleasant, and long past witty in its effect. Montclair, in his second post, ended up laughing out loud at our ilk and siding with the masses. That’s a shame. I do appreciate his first post, which basically answered my question, in a general way at least. I think he’s better than what he exhibited in his second post -- I think the real Montclair was demonstrated in the first post.

18Montclair, if you're up for it, might you enlighten me as to which clubs, restaurants, bars, parks, and such these people hang out in in the neighborhoods you mentioned (The Marina, Pac Heights, Telegraph Hill, etc.)? Thank you.
Perhaps you received snooty responses, because people perceived you as snooty

Your implication is that "Ivy League" people represent a superior class, of which many people on this board do not represent.

I think a lot of people viewed your original post as "Hi, I'm trying to find locations where people who are superior to all you commoners hang out. Where can I find these superior people so we can all engage in witty conversations about the pitiful state of the common man and how much better we are than everybody else?"

...I could be way off base, but that was my interpretation of it.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:46 PM

122 posts, read 587,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Perhaps you received snooty responses, because people perceived you as snooty

Your implication is that "Ivy League" people represent a superior class, of which many people on this board do not represent.

I think a lot of people viewed your original post as "Hi, I'm trying to find locations where people who are superior to all you commoners hang out. Where can I find these superior people so we can all engage in witty conversations about the pitiful state of the common man and how much better we are than everybody else?"

...I could be way off base, but that was my interpretation of it.
I suppose you would have me just go and hang out randomly anyoldwhere. In the bowery of Market… on streetcorners in the 'Loin… down in Guadalamacala Central… out in Yah-yah Ping-Pongville… in the “hip” clubs and raves at Groover Central.

Come on, get real. There ARE classes, whether we like to acknowledge them or not. There are socio-economic classes, intellectual classes, status classes – classes of all types. Animals of a certain stripe gravitate toward other animals of a similar stripe. Birds of a feather flock together. I'm merely trying to find my stripes and feathers. That's natural. Don't pretend it's not. Just point the way, answer the question: Where are the Ivy Leaguers in San Francisco? If it makes you people feel better, I am not wealthy. I just happen to be highly educated and cultured in European-American traditions – that’s just the way of it, the way I was brought up, how it is for me. For better or for worse (usually for worse, as this thread well illustrates). If somebody were to ask me where the Ivy Leaguers were in my hometown, I'd tell 'em; just the same as I'd point them toward where the punk crowd is, or the gangbangers, the yuppies, or the fundamentalist Republicans. It ain't hard. It’s a matter of fact proposition. Just answer the question.

And just so you'll know... We won't be discussing the plight of the common man. We won't even be hitting on political or geopolitical issues, much. Mostly, we'll be engaged in lively conversations on topics such as literature, history, the arts, the sciences. Exercising our minds, giving our learning a workout. Some Classical music perhaps. America -- what it is and where it's going. Jazz. The blues. Nietzsche and Schopenhauer. German Impressionism. The Theory of Relativity. Definitely some sports. Most of all, it will be conversation and fellowship made among equals. And hopefully, conversation that will elevate to the level of creative spitballing and brainstorming, whereby some ingenious new ideas might emerge in the dialectic of open and limber minds knocking up against one another. Nothing is more tedious than conversation amongst unequals, and fellowship with unequals inevitably becomes laborious for the superior participant. Keep in mind that all of this is in the context of spare time and free time, not work and community volunteering sort of time.

Last edited by Laocoön; 03-18-2011 at 03:18 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 03:15 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laocoön View Post
And not being a graduate of an Ivy League institution, I have no access to alumni associations, or otherwise I would have searched them.
A commoner! How horrible!

Seriously though, SF doesn't really have the sort of douchey vieux riche society you see in big East Coast cities like NYC and Boston. There's sort of a vieux riche society in SF but it's pretty small and not particularly influential, plus they'd send their kids to UC Berkeley or Stanford. Techie stuff is big in the Bay Area and they don't care where you went to school as long as you can create money. Go move to NYC and hang around the alumni clubs like a groupie and maybe they'll accept you, probably not though.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Most people in the Bay Area are pretty educated, you can pretty much go anywhere. There isn't a place to go, because it means everywhere. You need to try to find people who are less educated. That would be a tougher job.

Go outside, go to the cafe, go to virtually any bar in an area with lots of young people.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:44 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,138 times
Perhaps Ivy League graduates only want to associate with zebras of THEIR own stripe, i.e. other Ivy League grads, and we'd be doing them a disservice in directing you to their whereabouts

Old 03-18-2011, 04:25 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Most people in the Bay Area are pretty educated, you can pretty much go anywhere. There isn't a place to go, because it means everywhere. You need to try to find people who are less educated. That would be a tougher job.

Go outside, go to the cafe, go to virtually any bar in an area with lots of young people.
Not in cities like Hayward. Or (no offense) cities with high hispanic populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland