Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 03:20 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laocoön View Post
So, what galvanizes people in California? What common denominators do groups of friends share?... Profit motives? Political agendas? White man self-loathing or bashing sessions? Commiseration coalitions?
Gay orgies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 03:26 PM

122 posts, read 587,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I can tell that you have Asperger's syndrome.
Ok, I shall now take the Asperger's Test to determine if your (presumably) amateur diagnosis is correct:

Do you find it hard to make small talk?
No. But I prefer stimulating and lively conversations to insipidly mundane and vapid ones.

Are you good at picking up details and facts?
Naturally, yes. But aren’t all sharp people?

Do you find it difficult to understand what others are feeling or thinking?
Not at all. I can usually pick up on both relatively quickly. For instance, I am able to perceive that clongirl has been made to feel personally inadequate in the presence of someone as unabashedly intelligent, candid, and dynamic as I. And I can also predict that this statement I have just now made will offend and frustrate her initially, and she will be overcome with the burning desire to hack out an angry rejoinder, but ultimately she will not because she will want to prove her smarts and her equanimity of character by ignoring this comment, taking the high road, and not responding. But then she will further mull it over and issue a response anyway in order to play the contrarian (and to vent) – don’t all opinionated people who are out to prove their merit and assert their being right always end up resorting to this tactic? The logic is, if I take the opposite tack, winning and losing the argument becomes a judgement call, and since there are no judges around in mano y mano arguments of this postmodern world, it’s at least a draw. But then she won’t act, after all; she will erase her response halfway through composing it because she will realize what a waste of time it is to argue with someone out of her league. “But no, he’s not out of my league… (Now why would she think that? I mean, the lesser intelligent ones, by virtue of their inability to see things the more intelligent ones see, cannot see where she is inferior, and thus will always believe that she’s at least on the same level. The smarter of the two always knows the difference because he sees it; the less smart of the two can’t see that there is a difference a’tall. But I digress) … He's not smarter than me, so I shall go on and post!” Or not. Or not not. Or not not not. Ad infinitum. [Really, there’s no way to predict, for even if I nail her correct inclination, she can always trump my prediction by responding the opposite way. So, this is all a moot little exercise.]

Do you find yourself focusing on the same tasks for long periods of time?
Mostly, no. At this very moment I have four windows open on my computer; I have three chat-type conversations going at this very moment. I also have grunge playing on YouTube. Before that, Mozart. Before that, Kerouac reading On The Road. If anything, I might have attention deficit syndrome. I can only focus on the same task for more than an hour if it is something creative or of significant intellectual interest, or if I have a deadline. And I never stay in the same vein, i.e., Mozart to grunge to Jack.

Are you often rude even if you aren’t trying to be?
Sometimes, yes. But I think this probably happens to everybody fairly frequently in this modern world, considering the types of time constraints and pressures of collective conformity that we're all under.

Do you have unusually strong, narrow interests?
Yes, I have intensely strong interests, but they are far from narrow. And they are far from few. For instance, I love philosophy -- 19th century especially, but also 20th -- and wait, I also love Plato and Aristotle. And I love philosophical literature. Indeed, I love literature -- all periods, all styles, all modes. Philosophical, prosaic, or poetic. I also love literary music, i.e., the lyrics of Jim Morrison and Robert Plant. Oh, and I love art, too. And I enjoy architecture, at least any uplifting, artistic kinds. I love old and interesting cities, for they are so rife with great and inspiring architecture. And I not only love the buildings, but also the local cultures -- and food! I am a foodie. I love New Orleans cuisine, but also authentic Italian, and authentic Mexican. I love foreign countries, too. Love to go there. ... You see, my interests are strong, but far from narrow.

Do you do things in an inflexible, repetitive way?
Not at all. For one, I have no daily schedule whatsoever. I wake up at different times every morning. Sometime I eat breakfast, sometimes I don't. Sometime I walk into the village and eat a scone and drink OJ. Sometime I drive thru an Arby's and have a breakfast burrito and a Coke. I listen to different CDs every day – almost never the same pattern of bands and songs. Sometimes I don’t listen to CDs, but rather the radio, or YouTube. I wear a different outfit almost every day, and a different style at that: one day it’s shirt and tie, next day I’m in a Hoobastank-style casual graphic button-down, and the next day a V-neck sweater over a Polo. Jeans, black slacks, khakis -- wear 'em all interchageably. Okay, so I never wear shorts or brown shoes. Shoot me. But I don’t think that makes me inflexible in my raiments. I have no routines whatsoever. I have periods where I shave daily, but then I’ll grow some stubble and leave it for a while. After a while I’ll go to the every-other-day shave. Sometimes I let a barber cut my hair cut, and sometimes I cut my own hair. Or sometimes, I invite my ex-wife over and have her cut my hair while I stand naked in the shower and blame each other as to why our marriage failed. Lately, though, I’ve been allowing a buxom and nubile Indian lass (with a dot on the forehead, not a headdress, don’t cue the Florida State Seminole chant) “cut and style” my head lettuce. I guess you might say my routine is to do what I feel, and what the moment and day's events and exigencies call for.

Have you always had difficulties making friends?
Yes and no. On the one hand, I average adding about 50 friends a month on Facebook. I know a lot of people and meet a lot of people on a regular basis. I have a circle of a dozen or so very close friends all over the world. The problem is, though, I only have about 3 friends that can hang with me intellectually, artistically, and adventurally. (I love neologizing word.) The thousands of other friends I have are all incredibly boring, dull, slow, scared, static, and predictable as hell. Maybe they're the ones afflicted with Asperger's -- maybe Asperger's is a weird plague affecting only my particular friends and acquaintances. Hey, don’t tell ‘em, though, for I know that would hurt their feelings. See, I do have compassion for people. I do care about their feelings.

Having taken this test now, I do not believe I have many, if any, of the necessary traits to qualify me as having Asperger’s. Try again. I must now go fetch me a Klondike form the freezer.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:45 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,808 times
Quote:
There are socio-economic classes, intellectual classes, status classes – classes of all types.
And also folks like you, with apparently no class.

When you and your buds sit around "creative spitballing and brainstorming, whereby some ingenious new ideas might emerge in the dialectic of open and limber minds knocking up against one another", y'all might try to figure out how to connect with each other directly through this Internet-thingy . . .

Last edited by fizbin; 03-19-2011 at 06:13 PM..

Old 03-19-2011, 08:37 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:
Or sometimes, I invite my ex-wife over and have her cut my hair while I stand naked in the shower and blame each other as to why our marriage failed.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:55 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
notsureifserious.jpg
I can't believe you read that wall of text. Hard to tell the crazies from the trolls, sometimes, but I think that quote says it all.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:04 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
maybe Asperger's is a weird plague affecting only my particular friends and acquaintances.
More like a case of a bunch of Assburgers, though one would expect this douchebag to be a strangely geeked-out loner troll whose company is thoroughly unbearable to any living thing.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:28 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Where does the Ivy League crowd hang out in the city of San Francisco? Specific neighborhoods and such. Specifically, the 21-40 age group.
I'd go for 3rd and Palou, at around 3AM on a Saturday Night.

Be sure to flash the old wallet.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:15 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I'd go for 3rd and Palou, at around 3AM on a Saturday Night.

Be sure to flash the old wallet.
BayAreaHillbilly! Where'd you go? Welcome back

Old 03-28-2011, 12:43 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
I hope to god the OP is a troll...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland