U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 02:27 PM

62 posts, read 259,525 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm thinking of moving to Point Richmond (NOT Richmond the ghetto warzone. I mean POINT Richmond the safe seaside semi-yuppified neighborhood across the freeway.) I'm a young single woman and safety is very important to me. I know driving the 580 every morning all the way into SF would be hell, so I'd rather take BART. Of course, I'm not going to park at the Richmond BART station because I don't think I would be safe. I would be getting off the train at around 8pm each night, and for at least half the year it's very dark at that hour. Instead, I was thinking of driving from Pt Richmond to the El Cerrito BART station, parking, and taking the train to the SF Financial District. I assume El Cerrito BART station has a parking lot, and I've heard it's a fairly safe town. Are my assumptions correct?

Does anyone park there and take BART as part of their daily commute? And does anyone know approximately how long it would take to drive from Point Richmond to the El Cerrito station if I left the house around 8am? Is evening traffic all right from El Cerrito to Pt Richmond between 7 and 8pm?

I wonder if I would be better off driving across the Richmond San Rafael bridge to take the Larkspur Ferry into SF instead? There are limited ferries, but it's a nice ride. I wonder if traffic is awful on the bridge though, in the morning and/or coming back at night. I kind of assume that it would be a reverse commute though, with everyone trying to get into the East Bay in the morning and get out of it at night. Does anyone drive across the bridge to take the ferry?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 02:56 PM

27,139 posts, read 29,534,576 times
BART is better than the ferry, I doubt the ferry even runs at 8pm. The El Cerrito stations have parking, but I have no idea how long the wait list is for a spot at the lot. Most BART stations are generally pretty safe. Especially if you are only going to the parking lot. Bonis for El Ceritto PLaza station is that is is basically in the middle of a strip mall with Lucky, Trader Joes, CVS and pretty much every store you need. So it would be great to drive there for errand purposes.

You could probably drive to the Richmond station with no problems, I don't think the station is actually in the hood. For example, I frequent a "scary" BART station (Macarthur). I think 10 years ago it was worse, but honestly I walk home from BART, wait for the bus, drive to the station at all hours and have no problems. There are plenty of people around walking, biking, bussing, cabbing and driving. I have no clue how Richmond BART compares to Macarthur (the station has a sketchy west side and the east side ranges from up and coming to Posh).

I would avoid West Oakland BART at night, it is dark and deserted over there. Other than that, I haven't been to a station where I'd feel uncomfortable walking to my car at night alone (using basic common sense of course). I wouldn't walk in the neighborhood surrounding Ashby BART at night alone, as that area is a bit sketchy and dark. Sketchier than Macarthur in my opinion.

A good option for you maybe to take the Transbay Bus into SF. The ones that go from North of Berkeley are comfy with wifi/nice seats. The ride shouldn't be much longer than BART, and they typically have plenty of capacity, and are less crowded than BART. Not sure of the hours, the last one to my neighborhood leaves at 8p, but there are other ones that run all day with connecting bus service. It is a short walk from most of Fidi, and a much comfier ride (especially on the wifi buses).

80 is pretty traffic-y in the AM and in the evening till around 7:30. So it could take awhile. I have no idea where Point Richmond actually is, but taking the streets might be a better option than the freeway to El Cerrito.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:02 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,428,575 times
A friend of mine lives in a condo by Marina Bay and drives to the El Cerrito Plaza BART station. He says that one is less seedy than El Cerrito del Norte at night and definitely less seedy than the Richmond station. For him it's 7 minutes to get to the EC Plaza station. If you went over the bridge to Larkspur you'd have to pay a toll which would add up.

There's a lot of other parts of the Bay Area you could look at though.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:06 PM

27,139 posts, read 29,534,576 times
Del Norte got worse once to Target closed. It used to be better. Now it is a weird in between zone.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,007 times
I've lived next to the Del Norte station for a number of years and never had any problems. I feel very safe there- often taking the last train home after a long night out on the town. I was robbed not far from the MacArthur Bart a number of years ago, and now extra sensitive about this stuff too. There's a police station at the station and they're always very visible- so much in fact that I once left my keys in my motorcycle over night and my bike was still there the next AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or