Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:33 PM

31 posts, read 105,003 times

Advertisements

I am currently finishing up my CPA exam (hopefully I will be done in May) and will be moving to San Fran from Chicago in July.

I have two years of private Accounting experience and highly skilled in MS Excel (Advanced pivot table, excel vba (automation), and build complex formulas). I also have IT strong background (although not in programming, mainly hardware)...

So what is the chance I can land a temp or permanent accounting/finance job in the area? and how long?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 12:59 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,055,980 times
Nobody here calls it San Fran.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:51 AM

I am sorry. I meant San Francisco. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:49 AM

330 posts, read 748,518 times
I have some Finance/Accounting background and seemed to find a good number of leads in SF by getting in contact with Robert Half.

Robert Half Finance & Accounting - Home

(No, I'm not associated with them and this is not spam....just trying to help).

I would imagine anyone with a CPA wouldn't go without a job for long....especially in a financial center like SF.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:26 PM

Thanks. Never been to San Francisco, so don't know much about the job market. Do you know if accounting job market is doing well in San Francisco in comparison to others like Finance, marketing, graph design?

Old 03-24-2011, 04:31 PM

No idea actually! Until very recently I was seeking a job in SF from out-of-state just like you. So I can't speak to the local job market other than to say I found a full-time finance/procurement type job after about a 5 month search.

In retrospect I feel lucky to have even found a job in that short of time, though. I put in a ton of applications and only got interest from a few companies - and luckily it worked out with one of those few. Of course on the other hand, I had the luxury of being selective in what I applied for since I was currently employed and had no time-line for moving. So I applied for a lot of jobs that I was barely qualified for (figuring "why not"?). For comparison purposes I have an MBA but not a CPA.

If I were you I'd target the big firms that have a lot of turnover and thus are constantly hiring (Accenture, for instance, always seems to be posting new positions in SF). As someone applying from out of state, I felt like there was some hesitancy on the part of smaller companies to hire someone not from the bay area. Higher risk that you won't fit in or like the area and want to quit, I suppose (?). Also, don't plan on receiving any relocation assistance. That's completely out the window given the state of the job market. Every one of the few places I heard from were explicit that they would not be offering relo.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:53 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,779,182 times
The job market has been tough here, which is probably true for the rest of the country. I have almost 8 years of experience in my field and it took me close to 4 months of non-stop job searching before I landed something. That was a year ago. Perhaps thing are a bit better now. I would highly recommend you land something before you move.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:58 PM

Thank you all for the advice. I have been applying everyday while I am studying for CPA, so far I heard back from a small Public Accounting firm. They told me keep them update prior my date of arrival. Beside that, nothing lol. As flight to interview... darn, it is going to be tough. Fuel price is increasing dramatically, the same can be said to flight ticket....

SunDevil, you from Arizona? And what job did you end up getting if you don't mind me asking.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:44 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFromChicago View Post
I am currently finishing up my CPA exam (hopefully I will be done in May) and will be moving to San Fran from Chicago in July.
Would you be licensed as a California CPA? Or does Illinois allow reciprocity?

Old 03-25-2011, 04:00 PM

Yes, I'm from Arizona - Scottsdale to be specific. As for the specific job, I'd prefer not to reveal my employer's name on a public forum, but its essentially a Procurement/Contracts position.

And I agree with the other poster about finding a job first before making the move. I'd be pretty freaked out to be paying rent in a place as high as SF without a job secured. Just try to remain patient and you'll find a position eventually.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland