U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 03:09 PM

6,142 posts, read 4,319,252 times
Default Good News for People Seeking Tech Jobs in San Francisco!

I know everyone is complaining about how horrible the job market is in San Francisco, but look at these numbers!

S.F. tech jobs climb near level of dot-com peak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 03:46 PM

24,647 posts, read 30,171,714 times
Interesting and to be honest it makes sense. There's been a wave of tech companies in the city proper making headlines, which is very cool.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:11 PM

31 posts, read 47,285 times
How about accounting?

Old 03-27-2011, 07:41 PM

855 posts, read 1,357,977 times
That's great news! I just don't understand the unemployement rate in SF being so high still when I see job growth everywhere.

I would like to see that kind of data in biotech sector. Mission Bay already has some of the big players like Bayer, Nektar, Celgene, Merck, and Pfizer is looking to open a branch here as well.

According to the bottom article, 2004 has only one company as opposed to 56 currently.

The Mission Bay Biotech Cluster: Antibodies, RNAi, Biofuels, & More | Xconomy

Old 03-27-2011, 09:36 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,139,851 times
From what I've read in the past, biotech hardly ever makes any money, not sure if that's still true or not.

As for tech in SF, it creates a lot less jobs compared with other industries. You have a relatively small number of people making a fair bit of money, but they don't require any office support staff and don't depend on outside support vendors. A normal office like an investment bank or a law firm is top-heavy with highly paid talent, but they also need a lot of support staff like secretaries, clerks, paralegals, etc, and pay outside support for things like copying and so on. A tech firm just needs an office, a bunch of nerds and an internet connection.

It's a start and it's better than nothing, but it's not going to affect the unemployment rate very much and is going to make SF into even more of an exclusive yuppie paradise.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 PM

7,282 posts, read 5,804,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
a bunch of nerds

Right!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:33 PM

411 posts, read 423,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
From what I've read in the past, biotech hardly ever makes any money, not sure if that's still true or not.

As for tech in SF, it creates a lot less jobs compared with other industries. You have a relatively small number of people making a fair bit of money, but they don't require any office support staff and don't depend on outside support vendors. A normal office like an investment bank or a law firm is top-heavy with highly paid talent, but they also need a lot of support staff like secretaries, clerks, paralegals, etc, and pay outside support for things like copying and so on. A tech firm just needs an office, a bunch of nerds and an internet connection.

It's a start and it's better than nothing, but it's not going to affect the unemployment rate very much and is going to make SF into even more of an exclusive yuppie paradise.
Wait a minute, so if a firm (tech or otherwise) doesn't directly provide mid-level or lower-paying jobs it does not affect unemployment? Where would these geeks with an internet connection eat, sleep, take their kids to school or buy their t-shirts? Do any of these places provide mid-level jobs?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:22 AM

5,245 posts, read 6,139,851 times
It affects unemployment in terms of all the recent grads from Stanford's computer sci program getting high-paying jobs, but again it doesn't create a lot of middle class jobs down the line like just about every other industry.

A local economy totally centered around tech would be horribly diversified and vulnerable. Nobody here seems particularly concerned with creating middle class jobs in the Bay Area though, but everyone always drools over anything the tech industry does when they don't create enough jobs to support the local economy.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:39 AM

411 posts, read 423,967 times
While I share your concern about the lack of focus on the middle class jobs and "drooling over anything the tech industry does", I don't see the growth of tech jobs in the city as a bad or even a neutral thing. I'd much rather see those jobs here than in Boston, Beijing or Bangalore.
Moreover, at 5-6% of total employment, there is hardly a threat for the city economy of becoming overly dependent on the tech jobs.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,707,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
That's great news! I just don't understand the unemployement rate in SF being so high still when I see job growth everywhere.

I would like to see that kind of data in biotech sector. Mission Bay already has some of the big players like Bayer, Nektar, Celgene, Merck, and Pfizer is looking to open a branch here as well.

According to the bottom article, 2004 has only one company as opposed to 56 currently.

The Mission Bay Biotech Cluster: Antibodies, RNAi, Biofuels, & More | Xconomy
The Mission Bay biotech cluster is doing well but not anywhere as good as the tech sectors. Most biotechs in Mission bay are really small, early-stage startups with anywhere between 2-10 employees. So the numbers are smaller than tech for sure!

But UCSF is constantly expanding in Mission bay and keeps bringing in more and more research money everywhere which creates a lot of jobs but usually not high paid jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland