Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 PM

5 posts, read 11,269 times

Advertisements

Hi,

You can't just move to SF and automatically get into one of the big companies. You should try to find a smaller company and join them and go up the ranks and eventually you'll meet somebody from one of the ''big companies'' and maybe they'll help you get a job in their company. I work for Zynga Game Network and we always have people coming from the smaller tech companies but we don't just hire them if they just automatically come to us and ask.

~ Caliboy101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 11:50 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsite View Post
I currently do Tech in Las Vegas and I hope to move back to SF someday. I didn't graduate from a fancy college or have an engineering degree and I pretty much got into the tech field by luck. I have a Comp TIA cert and I'm working on a Oracle Administrator Associate cert. My current job involves system integration and I get good experience on linux systems and general computer networking. With this background, can I get a job for one of the big companies like Apple or Google in Silicon valley? Or do they just hire the cream of the crop guys from Ivy League, India, and Computer Science majors?
In a nutshell: no, you very likely can't get in and and yes, they typically only hire the cream of the crop.

But there are tons of other technology-focused companies in the Bay area... I think most will expect you to have a bachelor's degree and good experience of a more project management / content creation standpoint rather than just narrow technicals.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:52 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliboy101 View Post
Hi,

You can't just move to SF and automatically get into one of the big companies. You should try to find a smaller company and join them and go up the ranks and eventually you'll meet somebody from one of the ''big companies'' and maybe they'll help you get a job in their company. I work for Zynga Game Network and we always have people coming from the smaller tech companies but we don't just hire them if they just automatically come to us and ask.

~ Caliboy101
You're probably in a better position at Zynga than you would be at any of the "big companies" that have much slower growth prospects. You're one of the biggest anticipated IPOs in the region right now.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:46 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
In technical subjects, the amount of time and effort you put into your education is directly proportional to the amount of reward you receive later. Certifications will give you a bit of a boost but not comparable to what college will.

In terms of certifications vs individual courses, employers probably view these the same. I used to work as an engineering manager, and when I looked at job candidates, individual classes or certifications almost had no role in my decision.

Anything you do to boost your knowledge is good and will help you somewhat in compensation. The biggest jump you'll get is with a 4-year engineering degree from a university (not online). If for whatever reason you are unable to pursue this, you can still work in IT although you'll be stuck in the lowest pay tier until you get several years of job experience.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:11 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
You might want to consider temporary agencies like Workforce Logic or Kelly Services. The permanent jobs are the cherry ones that require the most experience; nowadays you almost have to start out as a temp.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 AM

88 posts, read 223,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
In technical subjects, the amount of time and effort you put into your education is directly proportional to the amount of reward you receive later. Certifications will give you a bit of a boost but not comparable to what college will.

In terms of certifications vs individual courses, employers probably view these the same. I used to work as an engineering manager, and when I looked at job candidates, individual classes or certifications almost had no role in my decision.

Anything you do to boost your knowledge is good and will help you somewhat in compensation. The biggest jump you'll get is with a 4-year engineering degree from a university (not online). If for whatever reason you are unable to pursue this, you can still work in IT although you'll be stuck in the lowest pay tier until you get several years of job experience.
What is considered lowest pay tier in San Francsico? What is the breakdown of IT salaries these days based on experience and education in San Francisco?

Old 04-04-2011, 11:25 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I worked for a small tech company where the CEO purposely sought out people with certificates/online degrees and so on. It is really tough to get a job without connections and a four year degree these days. The company paid $10-20 and hour. Yes, in the bay area. Low can be very low. Especially when people are desparate for jobs and/or experienice. One person was like you. Hands on experience, no degree. He has worked there for about 4 years and gets ~ $25/hr.

You'll have trouble. No question. Especially now. There are also tons of outsourcing organizations that will lure young and eager tech workers from India, China, and the Philippines and similar locales with 4 year degrees who will work for cheap with the promise of a visa. You'll be competing with these people as well. They have better qualifications and experience than you do.

Your best bet is to make some friends and to contribute to an in demand open source project. Also build a portfolio of great work so you can attract an employer.

I used my blog (I am a marketer) to improve my job prospects and to get some experience I wasn't getting at work. It worked out pretty well, in my last 2 jobs changes, I have jumped 25-30% pay in each move.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:58 AM

277 posts, read 379,800 times
A friend of mine works at Google, as mentioned you will need to have at least a graduate degree from a top school along with plenty of experience 5+ years unless you're some form of genius that can impress the Ph.D's who will be interviewing you. My friend had 7 years doing product development for another company along with an MBA from Yale, he had to go through 3 interviews where they basically asked statistics based problem solving questions and you had to answer quick and confidently. You're better off trying to get into a small start up company even then there is a lot of competition.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsite View Post
What is considered lowest pay tier in San Francsico? What is the breakdown of IT salaries these days based on experience and education in San Francisco?
Maybe $40k - $60k if you have some IT experience and no college degree. The folks that work at the data center we use are Support Staff and they make $20/hour. They check customer in and out, install server racks, reboot servers for customers and do some minimal network and system configuration.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:09 PM

88 posts, read 223,113 times
Well, I get paid more than the lower tiers already (40K-60K). I do have 4 year college degree from SDSU and a Masters from Oklahoma, but my degrees are not related to Tech or Computer Science. In addition, I have good experience in leadership and also speak 2 foreign languages. I want to focus more toward computer work because I like the work environment, but it seems like I'll be taking a pay cut and I will be competing with some highly qualified people. I guess I will stay in Las Vegas and build up my resume until the right opportunity pops up.

Why do all the best cities like San Francisco have to be so difficult to live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland