Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:48 AM

21,672 posts, read 16,211,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
All I can say is, here we go again. Another federal fiasco in the making by artificially trying to mix people who don't want to be forced together. Does no one else remember busing?
Right. Kinda like demanding that Democrats and Republicans sit together in a big room with lotsa chairs under a big round roof and cooperate for the common good.

Ridiculous notion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 09:06 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,386,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
All I can say is, here we go again. Another federal fiasco in the making by artificially trying to mix people who don't want to be forced together. Does no one else remember busing?
Amen! My folks put me into private school and bused me there in the family station wagon. My dad had to get a second job to afford to do it. And got an ulcer over it, too...he took a job teaching people how to drive lol! The stories he'd come home and tell about this one Asian lady (sorry, but true) who kept flunking and coming back - he couldn't get rid of her...tee hee. All he had on his side of the car was a brake, so all he cold do was keep slamming on the brake constantly. Poor dad.

I digress...

Old 04-12-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Amen! My folks put me into private school and bused me there in the family station wagon. My dad had to get a second job to afford to do it. And got an ulcer over it, too...he took a job teaching people how to drive lol! The stories he'd come home and tell about this one Asian lady (sorry, but true) who kept flunking and coming back - he couldn't get rid of her...tee hee. All he had on his side of the car was a brake, so all he cold do was keep slamming on the brake constantly. Poor dad.

I digress...
So do you feel that acquiring one's education in an environment exclusive to one's personal cultural preferences is superior to having to acquire developing life skills in an egalitarian mixed cultural setting that more closely resembles the world one will be forced to function in as an adult?

Perhaps acquiring a worldly education is not best accomplished using the same considerations as selection of one's personal living spaces? What do you think?

Old 04-12-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
So do you feel that acquiring one's education in an environment exclusive to one's personal cultural preferences is superior to having to acquire developing life skills in an egalitarian mixed cultural setting that more closely resembles the world one will be forced to function in as an adult?

Perhaps acquiring a worldly education is not best accomplished using the same considerations as selection of one's personal living spaces? What do you think?
I think I have no idea what you just said.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Really. Try this. Thread comments on government concern over a county skewing racially narrow to an extreme. A poster says forcing people to live in better integration where they don't want to is stupid. You respond by telling about how your father worked two jobs to put you into a private school.

One might guess that, since you didn't explain the connection to the thread or previous posts, your dad's decision was based on him not wanting you to go to a school with a diverse population. Whether the concern was racial or other socio-economic.

I then ask whether you think it was a good thing.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:23 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,398,089 times
Quote:
Oh I do. More "progressive" drivel. We're all supposed to think like them.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Oh I do. More "progressive" drivel. We're all supposed to think like them.
Of course if you read carefully, there is nothing progressive or conservative in my post at all. It was a question.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,398,089 times
Quote:
Of course if you read carefully, there is nothing progressive or conservative in my post at all. It was a question.
I can read and understand quite well, thank you. I'm sure others can as well. Perhaps I should have added that progressives tend to think they're superior to all other species and try to prove it to themselves by using words and phrases they're convinced the "little people" can't comprehend.

At issue is a simple fact that seems to elude you. Is it government's job to tell us where and with whom we should live? Not my idea of freedom. If it's yours, might I suggest a refresher course on the Constitution?

Old 04-12-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I can read and understand quite well, thank you. I'm sure others can as well. Perhaps I should have added that progressives tend to think they're superior to all other species and try to prove it to themselves by using words and phrases they're convinced the "little people" can't comprehend.

At issue is a simple fact that seems to elude you. Is it government's job to tell us where and with whom we should live? Not my idea of freedom. If it's yours, might I suggest a refresher course on the Constitution?
Right. Perhaps "others" will chime in and tell how my question is "progressive". I'm a retired printer. I guess I larned me a lotta words off the presses. Because I sure didn't get 'em from no progressive college.

Nothing eluded me. Perhaps you can point out where I wrote government should tell us where and with whom we should live. I'll be happy to retract since I don't believe such.

But neither is it a progressive concept to recognize that there are fundamental differences between where we choose to live and how little choice most citizzens have in where they work and generally interact in day to day functioning. The concept of public schooling to prepare youth for becomin g productive well adapted citizens isn't progressive I trust. Do you think youth learn that flexibility and congenial respect best in exclusive institutions with narrow cultural goals or by relating to the common world in common venue?

Old 04-12-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Really. Try this. Thread comments on government concern over a county skewing racially narrow to an extreme. A poster says forcing people to live in better integration where they don't want to is stupid. You respond by telling about how your father worked two jobs to put you into a private school.

One might guess that, since you didn't explain the connection to the thread or previous posts, your dad's decision was based on him not wanting you to go to a school with a diverse population. Whether the concern was racial or other socio-economic.

I then ask whether you think it was a good thing.
I think being able to buy a home in a good school district so your kids can go to that school is a good thing. And if somebody's idea of "It's a Small World" means your kids have to get on a bus that takes a long time to send them to a school way out of their neighborhood, and you don't like that idea, so you decide to get a second job so you can put your child into a private school of your liking, as that's the only way around this new stupid law, is a good thing.

What's next? Mandatory attendance at a different church? Say all Catholics must now attend Temple, too?

You'll go and you'll LIKE IT!

You know, you don't have to use confusing language to prove you're smart. An effective argument will do that, even in simple language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland