Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 PM

11 posts, read 19,400 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I will be doing a 3 month internship in San Francisco over summer, and I’m looking for a 1 bedroom furnished apartment in one of the following areas: Nob Hill, Marina, Russian Hill, or North Beach. I have done some reading on these areas, but I’ve never been to San Francisco and will not be able to check the area out before I start work, so I was hoping for some general advice, relating to specific locations within the 4 general areas mentioned above:

Which area(s) are more popular amongst young professionals?
Are there any specific blocks or streets that are safer/nicer than the rest of the area? Also, does anyone have experience with renting a short term furnished apartment? I have looked into the apartments listed under Trinity Management Services but I am not sure how they compare to other apartments.

I will be working at 555 California Street (the Bank of America Center on the corner of California and Kearny), and I understand that the above areas are generally a short walk/bus ride away, but I don’t want to decide on a place only to find that I’ll be trudging up and down a steep hill everyday!

Any advice would be really appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 PM

45 posts, read 91,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guess567 View Post
Hi everyone!

I will be doing a 3 month internship in San Francisco over summer, and I’m looking for a 1 bedroom furnished apartment in one of the following areas: Nob Hill, Marina, Russian Hill, or North Beach. I have done some reading on these areas, but I’ve never been to San Francisco and will not be able to check the area out before I start work, so I was hoping for some general advice, relating to specific locations within the 4 general areas mentioned above:

Which area(s) are more popular amongst young professionals?
Are there any specific blocks or streets that are safer/nicer than the rest of the area? Also, does anyone have experience with renting a short term furnished apartment? I have looked into the apartments listed under Trinity Management Services but I am not sure how they compare to other apartments.

I will be working at 555 California Street (the Bank of America Center on the corner of California and Kearny), and I understand that the above areas are generally a short walk/bus ride away, but I don’t want to decide on a place only to find that I’ll be trudging up and down a steep hill everyday!

Any advice would be really appreciated!!
You could live in those areas and easily commute to downtown. In fact you can live almost anywhere within SF and commute to the financial district. MUNI routes are heavily downtown oriented. The thing you need to consider is how much you are willing to pay. I once was a summer intern in SF as well, and lived in Bernal Heights for 3 months. I paid around $1000 for a room in a 3-bedroom house and used BART for commuting. Start looking at craigslist for short term rentals and apartment sharing.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:42 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
All of those places are more or less yuppie havens, though North Beach still has kind of a crusty beatnik feel to it, though it's mainly from the old hippies that hang out there mixed with young tourists I guess. Marina is yuppie blonds, Russian Hill is more old money, Nob Hill is sort of middle of the road yuppies. And if you don't want a hill, take note of the "Hill" in the names of Russian Hill and Nob Hill. Look on the Google Maps satellite view to see whether a street is steep or not, hills can be annoying.

You could also add places like Lower Pacific Heights and Noe Valley to your list if you need to expand your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland